Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Iso funny books 'light reading'

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:13 pm
I'm looking for light books that are genuinely funny.
Examples of what I adored: Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell, Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld (HIGHLY recommend) and I think that's about it.
Any other suggestions? Funny is important, not just the 'light'...

simcha2

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:18 pm
Anything by Bill Bryson. They are not novels but very easy reading.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:34 pm
Erma bombeck

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 10:47 pm
Dave Barry

shanie5

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 11:06 pm
The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich

lucky14

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:45 am
have you read Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple?

ooh and how about Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty? She's written some other books as well.

I reeeeeeeally recommend both of these books!

tzimip

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 9:02 am
Meg Cabot. Her books are pretty funny

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 12:04 pm
Mordechai Schmutter

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
Mordechai Schmutter

I was going to say that. Probably especially his last two books as he's getting better with practice.
And Judaica-wise, there's also M.C. Millman's Juggling Act, One Step Ahead, Amen Allowed, Mastermind and Mind Your Own Business. (It's been a while since I read the last two; IIRC you'll enjoy them more if you're actually a middle-school boy Wink )

Dave Barry (who's not totally clean, his novels are really off color), Donna Andrews Meg Langslow series - they're mysteries but light-hearted.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:22 pm
These are kids book, but I still read them and laugh - Gordon Korman. His books are so, so funny!

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 5:28 pm
amother wrote:
These are kids book, but I still read them and laugh - Gordon Korman. His books are so, so funny!

Absolutely! Bugs Potter, A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Can...not the newer YA stuff, and watch out for his trilogy series. Entertaining but not funny.

And of course, you can get out cartoon collections - Zits, Bizzaro, Calvin and Hobbes, Far Side, pick your poison.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 6:08 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Absolutely! Bugs Potter, A Semester in the Life of a Garbage Can...not the newer YA stuff, and watch out for his trilogy series. Entertaining but not funny.

Yes, and Slacker, Ungifted, Losing Joe's Place, Zoobreak, No More Dead Dogs, This can't be happening at Macgonall Hall, Hideout, Don't Care High, Take Me Home, and a bunch more... I read them all as kids, and I'm still reading and enjoying them now!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 6:50 pm
If you want books that make fun of fairy tales, I recommend the Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C Wrede. These books are often sold in the young adult section, but I love them as an adult and reread them every few years. It's a series of 4 books and they are very clean. The first book is about a princess who doesn't want to be princess and she runs away from an arranged marriage and becomes a dragon's princess. The books are just light enjoyable reading and make fun of lots of fairy tales.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 8:06 pm
Oh my...I am a huge Gordon Korman fan but was embarrassed to write that here bec. they are kids books! I still read them! Some of those posted above I did find very juvenile and not that funny. Best GK book ever: SCHOOLED.

And the old McDonald Hall books from when I was in elementary school...
The War with Mr. Wizzle
Go Jump in the Pool
The Zucchini Warriors - very funny

Others besides Schooled:
I Want to Go Home
The Toilet Paper Tigers
Pop - not too funny, but a GREAT book. Might even be my fav, besides Schooled.
Son of the Mob - kind of dark, but classic Gordon Korman awesomeness

gold21

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:36 pm
Gordon Kormans books are awesome!!

I generally read regular adult novels, but sometimes find the genres to be limited to mystery, romance, and drama. Not enough comedy!! And sometimes you just want something fun and funny.

I love the books I Want To Go Home, Radio Fifth Grade, A Semester In The Life Of A Garbage Bag, Son of the Mob, all of them.

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Dec 04 2016, 10:45 pm
P. G. Wodehouse
(Anon bec I am probably the only person I know who reads him!)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room