Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Wwyd? Smart kid

Aribenj

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:04 am
I saw the other thread and it got me thinking but I didn't want to hijack it... so here's my situation:

My 4 year old was born 3 days AFTER cutoff date (September 3) which means he should be in nursery this year. However, the school has decided that after 2 months, he is not gaining anything from nursery and is very bored and getting into trouble, so they asked me to have him evaluated.

It turns out he is actually very smart (which thought might be the case bu I guess now I know for sure). His IQ is 125 and he scored a 138 in math shock although really I shouldn't be that surprised... he can figure out fractions and percentages in his head and no one taught him....
now they want to skip him to pre-k next week.

However, he is immature, wild and impulsive. He also has a slight language delay (from speaking Hebrew and Russian at home). He is too young for an ADHD diagnosis, but I have a feeling that will be in his future... (just going through this with his sister who is 8...)

I'm not sure what to do.... part of me is thinking if he's getting in trouble in nursery what makes them think he won't in pre k? On the other hand... he's so bored... he has no friends in his class... but he happens to be friends with some of the kids in the older class...

So what would you do?

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:19 am
Do you have choices of different types of schools in your area? Sometimes a different style can keep him appropriately stimulated without pushing him too far too fast.

Aribenj

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:32 am
Nope. This is the only Jewish school in the area. Even if I wanted to switch him to public school, my kids would be so far away from each other that carpool would be impossible...

seeker

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 12:36 am
Ugh. Any other option - keeping him home, non-school nursery program/playgroup?

What's the pre-k like in this school? Are they going to be able to give him what he needs?

naomi2

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:56 am
Ok so I'm gonna say keep him where he is and deal appropriately with the behavioral issue. 138 in math is very smart but overall iq is very far from that. Some other areas must be dragging it down. Not that he's not smart. He is very smart. Just not genius enough to move him up. Especially since he has language issues and behavioral issues that may or may not come from being bored. Basically, what I'm saying is, I don't think moving him will solve any problems. The add symptoms will still be there. The language will still need help and the behaviors may or may not improve. If he were my son I would get him related services. Whatever they offer.
Special instruction, counseling, speech etc...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)