Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
New Book for Children That Have Suffered Loss

pippy93

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 6:38 pm
I just wanted to let you all know that there is a new book that stores are selling geared for children, ages 4 -8 that can help young children deal with the loss of a loved one, parent, grandparent, aunt.... Children are sensitive to their environment and at times of crisis, they pick up on the changes in their environment and the change of pace of things and they see the ones they are close with acting differently. The children may be worried about what is happening or may not fully be able to understand what it means when they are told, "Bubby has passed away and went to live with Hashem." The book "WHERE HAS ZAIDY GONE?" is perfect for little kids and it explains what is happening in a non threatening way to young children. Through a heart warming conversation with her Bubby, "Goldy," the 5 year old main character, learns what has happened to her Zaidy and why everyone in her family is acting differently-- sitting shiva, her mother isn't dropping her off at day care.... The frum community needs such a book that can be read to the young ones to reassure them that all will be okay and whatever they are feeling is ok.
My sister was unable to find a book for her 5 year old son when our mother passed away recently. I found this book. I read the book to my nephew and I was almost brought to tears when I read the last page to him. My nephew had all of the same questions that Goldy had-- very basic questions.
I just wanted to bring this to the groups attention because ion times of crisis, things happen so quickly, we may not remember how sensitive the young ones are and we MUST take the time out to explain things to them and to reassure them.
The book is available in stores, on Amazon and https://www.israelbookshoppubl.....8.htm

amother
Slateblue

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 7:39 pm
Op, what do you tell a two year old? This book would be above their level. Am going through it now with a close family member.

pippy93

Post Sat, Dec 03 2016, 8:03 pm
You can try drawing pictures with them about how they are feeling. There's always play therapy. You can try to speak with a professional that works with children that young. I'm not an expert with toddlers. Ask the pediatrician for recommendations.
good luck. Its very hard.

chanie1818

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 10:59 am
I bought the book for my son. We recently kissed an older cousin he was close with. It was a very touching book. I almost cried.
I haven't seen a book like this in Judaica stores and I've been looking. Lots of books for older kids tho.

chanie1818

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 1:26 pm
I meant to write lost an older cousin, not "kissed" an older cousin. My cousin was 78 and my son liked him a lot. He called him "uncle Mendel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers