Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
8 year old has been having accidents!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:05 pm
My 8 year old dd for the past few months has been having a lot of "accidents". It's not that she doesn't make it to the toilet. She just goes about her day, and wets her underwear. On top of that, she just doesn't even care! She will literally sit for HOURS playing, reading, doing a game on the computer, with HUGE wet marks on the back of her skirt or nightgown! I tell her to change, and she still doesn't care. She will even go an take a snack in the kitchen, with wet clothes (like soaking wet, so she must be "going" more than once!), and not care one bit. She doesn't try to hide it, she doesn't even care if anyone notices.

I've tried taking away treats, telling her she will have to bathe after each accident, telling her she'll get sick (UTI) if she sits around with pishy clothes. She still doesn't care one little bit!

Help! Anyone ever have to deal with this? What did you do? (BTW, she is homeschooled, so there isn't an outside school or teacher I can consult to see if she does this in school.)

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:10 pm
Did you consult her pediatrician?

flowerpower

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:14 pm
I'd tell you to take her to a urologist and check her out. You may get some answers there.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:17 pm
We went to a urologist and it turned out she was constipated. Long story short, it was preventing her from feeling the urge to urinate. A few months of miralax and problem solved.
I think after a while she just got used to feeling wet and didn't care.
good luck!

5*Mom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
My 8 year old dd for the past few months has been having a lot of "accidents". It's not that she doesn't make it to the toilet. She just goes about her day, and wets her underwear. On top of that, she just doesn't even care! She will literally sit for HOURS playing, reading, doing a game on the computer, with HUGE wet marks on the back of her skirt or nightgown! I tell her to change, and she still doesn't care. She will even go an take a snack in the kitchen, with wet clothes (like soaking wet, so she must be "going" more than once!), and not care one bit. She doesn't try to hide it, she doesn't even care if anyone notices.

I've tried taking away treats, telling her she will have to bathe after each accident, telling her she'll get sick (UTI) if she sits around with pishy clothes. She still doesn't care one little bit!

Help! Anyone ever have to deal with this? What did you do? (BTW, she is homeschooled, so there isn't an outside school or teacher I can consult to see if she does this in school.)
Is your DD neurotypical?

What else is going on in her life? Any significant life changes like a new baby, a move, divorce or death in the family? Does she like being homeschooled? How is your relationship with her? Is there conflict?

amother
Bisque

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:39 pm
go to your pediatrician first.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 5:56 pm
My cousin 8 yr old girl. Also had accident because she has add and she just is in her own world. But shes a normal kid. She went to a kinesiologist and they told her to drink flax seed and stay away from blue food coloring. I dont think its a UTI. Maybe she has OCD of using the toilet? Who knows?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics