Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Moroccan-Spiced Apple Quinoa Salad with Pecans

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:32 pm
This was good but I would use it as a carb type of side and still serve some kind of true vegetable or green salad.

Because of the high protein levels, I am never sure quite how to classify Quinoa dishes.

Always Order Dessert

Serves 8 - 10

The star of this dish is the Ras el hanout dressing. Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix that combines cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, ginger, and other warm spices. It can be found at some well-stocked grocery stores like Whole Foods, and also online.

As quinoa is a complete grain-free protein, it’s a great option to have available for vegetarians or those avoiding grains and starchier carbs. And because this dish can be served hot, cold, or even room temperature, it’s a great option for buffets, potlucks, or anytime you’re trying to save on stove space.

It also doesn’t hurt that the combination of warm spices, tender apples, and toasted pecans makes this one a perfect match for all your favorite winter mains.

Ingredients

12 cups water
2 1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed

For the dressing

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice (see below for note)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.

3 large tart apples, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
3 tablespoons butter
3 shallots, peeled and sliced (or use ½ small red onion)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup pecans, toasted
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley

Directions

Bring water to boil and add the quinoa. Boil about 10 minutes, or until the small curls on the quinoa are released. Drain well and add to a large bowl.

Make the dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar, honey, garlic, ras el hanout, salt, and black pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth and set aside.

Melt three tablespoons butter in a large skillet and add the shallots, cooking just until soft (about 3 minutes). Add the apples and cinnamon and cook about 7 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender.

Add the cooked apples, pecans, and parsley to the quinoa along with about half the dressing. Toss well to coat, then taste and add more dressing as needed (you may not need it all). Adjust seasoning with additional salt and/or pepper, as desired.

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 7:52 pm
Amarante wrote:
This was good but I would use it as a carb type of side and still serve some kind of true vegetable or green salad.

Because of the high protein levels, I am never sure quite how to classify Quinoa dishes.

Always Order Dessert

Serves 8 - 10

The star of this dish is the Ras el hanout dressing. Ras el hanout is a Moroccan spice mix that combines cinnamon, cumin, cayenne, ginger, and other warm spices. It can be found at some well-stocked grocery stores like Whole Foods, and also online.

As quinoa is a complete grain-free protein, it’s a great option to have available for vegetarians or those avoiding grains and starchier carbs. And because this dish can be served hot, cold, or even room temperature, it’s a great option for buffets, potlucks, or anytime you’re trying to save on stove space.

It also doesn’t hurt that the combination of warm spices, tender apples, and toasted pecans makes this one a perfect match for all your favorite winter mains.

Ingredients

12 cups water
2 1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed

For the dressing

3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons honey or maple syrup
3 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons ras el hanout spice (see below for note)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper.

3 large tart apples, peeled and cut into 1” chunks
3 tablespoons butter
3 shallots, peeled and sliced (or use ½ small red onion)
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 cup pecans, toasted
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley

Directions

Bring water to boil and add the quinoa. Boil about 10 minutes, or until the small curls on the quinoa are released. Drain well and add to a large bowl.

Make the dressing by combining olive oil, lemon juice, cider vinegar, honey, garlic, ras el hanout, salt, and black pepper in a blender. Puree until smooth and set aside.

Melt three tablespoons butter in a large skillet and add the shallots, cooking just until soft (about 3 minutes). Add the apples and cinnamon and cook about 7 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender.

Add the cooked apples, pecans, and parsley to the quinoa along with about half the dressing. Toss well to coat, then taste and add more dressing as needed (you may not need it all). Adjust seasoning with additional salt and/or pepper, as desired.

Quinoa can have a bitter taste if it is not rinsed really well. You need a very fine mesh screen for this purpose.

I normally rinse and rinse and rinse before I use. I sautee one cup of quinoa in a small amount of pre-heated olive oil with a teaspoon of chicken consume powder. When the quinoa gets a nutty fragrance, I add 1 7/8 cup water. When it boils, then simmer. Quinoa is done when the tails stick out. I love quinoa only if it is rinsed and rinsed and rinsed.

When I am feeling healthy, I skip the consomme and use real broth instead of water. Yum!

I would sautee the shallots and then remove them to a plate and use that oil to sautee the quinoa.

I was able to find ras el hanout in a local kosher store here in Monsey. And a national chain carries it locally.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics