Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Formal sleeveless dress with kiki riki underneath
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:03 pm
Is it acceptable to wear a formal sleeveless dress with a kiki riki underneath to a fancy office party? Will I stick out or is that normal to wear?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:17 pm
I depends on the dress. If all the shell adds to the gown is sleeves, and the color matches, then its fine. But if it's a cut out dress then the shell is obvious.

dancingqueen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:46 pm
You already probably stand out at work somewhat by keeping the tznius rules right? But especially in the winter, if you have a mostly black dress with a pattern so the the black Kiki riki almost looks like sleeves that will blend into the crowd nicely. Or you can wear a cardigan or my fave, a bolero.

Last edited by dancingqueen on Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 7:48 pm
I assume you mean a secular office party. No that is never a normal thing to wear. They will not understand why on earth you are wearing a shirt under a dress.
Having said that, who cares? We cant do what's normal always. just be confident!

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:18 pm
Why not invest in a pretty fancy bolero or sequinned sweater because a shell under sleeveless formal is not normal and looks frumpy imo.

There is a difference between dressing in a modest manner and dressing oddly. Many older secular women wear sleeves on their formal wear because their arms are not so nice looking so buy a dress with sleeves. Helen Mirren wears formal gowns with long sleeves to the Oscars and looks fabulous.

Last edited by Amarante on Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:15 am; edited 1 time in total

cm

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 10:45 pm
Better off with a dressy jacket or bolero. The "shell underneath" look is unknown outside of frum circles. To the uninitiated, a sleeveless dress plus a skin-tight shirt does not add up to modest wear.

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:14 am
Another vote for a bolero. You can get a really fancy one with sequins or embellishment that will look much less out of place than a Kiki Riki. We frum women are conditioned to think that is a formal look but it's not Wink

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:17 am
eVogues Plus Size Sequin Trim 3/4 Sleeve Cropped Bolero Shrug Black - 2X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001.....QF9H2

Anna - Kaci Womens Glitter Sequins Shiny Long Sleeve Cropped Bolero Blazers Shrugs, Rose Red, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F.....ZD82N

Alivila.Y Fashion Mesh Sequins Long Sleeve Bolero Shrug Jacket 3051-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009.....J15HX

Iymnok

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:25 am
If the dress has lace sleeves, a shell would look fine under it.
I would totally wear a shell under a sleeveless dress. If I like the look it gives and feel good in it.
Anyways, you cover more in general, cover your hair, don't shake hands, etc., you are already different.
Just don't wear a strapless with a shell. That's tacky.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:05 am
amother wrote:
Is it acceptable to wear a formal sleeveless dress with a kiki riki underneath to a fancy office party? Will I stick out or is that normal to wear?

Of course it's normal to wear especially if you are not keen on the bolero look. Sure, it's more normal to wear a sleeveless dress sleeveless. But you don't because you dress modestly. Enjoy the party.

Raisin

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:55 am
I think its totally fine with a dress that has a high neck and is only missing sleeves.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:54 am
essie14 wrote:
eVogues Plus Size Sequin Trim 3/4 Sleeve Cropped Bolero Shrug Black - 2X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001.....QF9H2

Anna - Kaci Womens Glitter Sequins Shiny Long Sleeve Cropped Bolero Blazers Shrugs, Rose Red, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01F.....ZD82N

Alivila.Y Fashion Mesh Sequins Long Sleeve Bolero Shrug Jacket 3051-Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009.....J15HX

Just curious, these are plus size/large. Did OP say she was this size?

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:58 am
Iymnok wrote:

Just don't wear a strapless with a shell. That's tacky.

I don't think it's tacky. I'm thinking of buying a strapless and wearing a shell because I loathe the Bolero look. I think it ages people. I used to wear boleros/shoulder pads when in my teens deliberately to look older. I don't like cardigans either. So what do you suggest with a strapless if not a shell or bolero? I think shells are fine with strapless or sleeveless (sorry to hijack post OP).

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
Just curious, these are plus size/large. Did OP say she was this size?

They are just examples and they come in a variety of sizes.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:07 am
I stick out so much at holiday parties (I cover my arms, my knees, collar bone, and I don't drink). I don't think anyone really notices a shell or not a shell on top of that - they don't even know what a shell is....

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:14 am
amother wrote:
I don't think it's tacky. I'm thinking of buying a strapless and wearing a shell because I loathe the Bolero look. I think it ages people. I used to wear boleros/shoulder pads when in my teens deliberately to look older. I don't like cardigans either. So what do you suggest with a strapless if not a shell or bolero? I think shells are fine with strapless or sleeveless (sorry to hijack post OP).

But why deliberately get a strapless if you are going to wear a shell

I don't mean to be offensive but it looks ridiculous to me.

Why not just get a modest dress that is designed that way and then I looks elegant instead of frumpy.

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:24 am
Amarante wrote:
But why deliberately get a strapless if you are going to wear a shell

I don't mean to be offensive but it looks ridiculous to me.

Why not just get a modest dress that is designed that way and then I looks elegant instead of frumpy.

I agree wholeheartedly.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:36 am
I missed the part about strapless. I think strapless with a shell looks bad, I think spaghetti straps with a shell looks bad. Personally I think you are better off using a jumper style with wider straps - I find the look neater (especially if you wear a sheitle past your shoulders, it partially covers the straps and makes the whole look more forgiving) - but that is just my own opinion.

jade

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:44 am
OK, I'll be the voice of dissent here. Spaghetti strap formal over a long-sleeve shirt can be a fashionable look if done right - not with a shell-type shirt, but with something more textured and interesting in its own right. I've even seen a strapless gown over a cashmere turtleneck in a contrasting color, pulled together with a patterned scarf. Like pattern-mixing, this can be hard to pull off. Even when done right, the resulting look will be more edgy fashionista than classic elegance. If you just want to look good in a way that does not particularly stand out, I second the advice of just getting a dress with long sleeves. It is winter now, and great dresses are available in many styles.

sprayonlove

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:46 am
amother wrote:

A blazer or dressy jacket is another option
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics