Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
CREOLE MEATLOAF

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 1:03 pm
I never thought of using herb de Provence in a Meatloaf although I love it on fish and chicken. It really elevated it but not in such a weird way that people with boring palates would be put off. LOL

If you've never tried herb de Provence, give it a whirl anyway since it's lovely in just a plain grilled fish or whatever else you are just throwing together.

And the Creole mix is also something handy if you just want to use on plain grilled steak, chicken etc.

CREOLE MEATLOAF

Excerpt From: Tanya Holland - Brown Sugar Kitchen: New-Style, Down-Home Recipes from Sweet West Oakland

SERVES 6

Let’s face it, meatloaf is a good thing. And when it’s seasoned with a blend of herbes de Provence, cumin, and cayenne like this one, it’s even better than you remember. Just ask Greg “call me if you’re serving meatloaf,” one of this dish’s most avid fans. If you’re used to meatloaf in a loaf pan, I urge you to try this free-form method, which allows a delicious crust to develop on the sides as well as the top. Any leftover meatloaf makes a terrific sandwich; I like mine with Spicy Green Coleslaw (page 82) and Pickled Vegetables (page 129).

2 1/2 LB/1.2 KG lean ground beef
1/4 CUP/35 G Creole Spice Mix (page 51)
3 eggs, beaten
1 CUP/55 G fresh bread crumbs
1 large yellow onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
3/4 CUP/220 G ketchup

GLAZE

1 TBSP herbes de Provence
1/2 CUP/150 G ketchup

Preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.

In a large bowl, use your hands to gently combine the beef, Creole Spice Mix, eggs, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, and ketchup, taking care not to overwork the meat. Shape into an oblong loaf about 9 in/23 cm long and 5 in/12 cm wide. Place in a large roasting pan.

To make the glaze: In a small bowl, combine the herbes de Provence and the ketchup. Brush the meatloaf with half of the glaze.

Bake for 30 minutes, then coat with the remaining glaze. Continue baking until a meat thermometer stuck into the center of the meatloaf registers 160°F/70°C, 20 to 30 minutes more.

Allow the meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
(To make ahead, cover the cooked meatloaf with plastic wrap or aluminum foil and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in a 325°F/165°C oven until warmed through.)

CREOLE SPICE MIX

Excerpt From: Tanya Holland - Brown Sugar Kitchen: New-Style, Down-Home Recipes from Sweet West Oakland

MAKES ABOUT 1 1/2 CUPS/200 G

3 TBSP kosher salt
3 TBSP herbes de Provence
3 TBSP ground cumin
1/3 CUP/45 G cayenne pepper
1/4 CUP/30 G freshly ground black pepper
1/4 CUP/30 G sweet paprika

In a small bowl, stir together the salt, herbes de Provence, cumin, cayenne, black pepper, and paprika until thoroughly combined. (To make ahead, store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.)

mille

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 8:16 pm
This sounds great!

I've made meatballs with herbes de provence and spinach. It's delicious!

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:03 am
Herbes de Provence are a real classic Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics