Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Cheder made DS write a letter to pardon a criminal
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

marina

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:01 pm
As an aside this Samet person was denied clemency a few months ago.

MagentaYenta

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:04 pm
marina wrote:

And thousands of letters from schoolboys in Israel and the US will turn this tide.

sequoia

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:08 pm
If your son is being abused at school, you need to remove him from that environment.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:14 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, crime is BAD. Do you know who has this attitude that white collar crime isn't "bad"? Communities which end up having criminals like Rubashkin and Samet. Yes it is bad, and minimizing it ends up causing ignorant people who don't take the law seriously and can land up in trouble.

White-collar crime is not limited to specific communities - even in the Jewish world - think Charles Kushner, Bernie Madoff...

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:18 pm
I'm just writing what I think the school was trying to convey. Pinyon shevuyim is a mitzva. They are trying to help him get out. Nobody said he didn't deserve to sit there. He probably deserves every minute of it. He did a terrible crime. He is so delusional at this point and everyone has rachmanus on him. He kind of lost his mind there. Jmho. Reading what his side of the story.

U can argue with me. I actually want to hear what your opinions are.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:23 pm
marina wrote:

Apparently, in September. I never knew this stuff was online!

https://www.justice.gov/pardon.....obama

Rubashkin was denied in August.

So its pretty much moot.

sourstix

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:23 pm
No samet hasn't changed a bit. If you read the arguments he gives why he did what he did you start thinking the guy has gone mentally mad. Hallucinating definitely.

I don't know him personally. But I don't think he has changed according to what I read. I have rachmanus on his family more then him.

baby12x

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 2:53 pm
SixOfWands wrote:
Apparently, in September. I never knew this stuff was online!

https://www.justice.gov/pardon.....obama

Rubashkin was denied in August.

So its pretty much moot.

It's not really moot. There is a lame duck president with a history towards granting clemency and could issue a pardon. It's a perfect time to be campaigning aggressively.

smile12345

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 4:14 pm
sourstix wrote:
No samet hasn't changed a bit. If you read the arguments he gives why he did what he did you start thinking the guy has gone mentally mad. Hallucinating definitely.

I don't know him personally. But I don't think he has changed according to what I read. I have rachmanus on his family more then him.

Hilchos lashon hara (and motzei shem ra) also apply to the incarcerated population.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 4:32 pm
baby12x wrote:
It's not really moot. There is a lame duck president with a history towards granting clemency and could issue a pardon. It's a perfect time to be campaigning aggressively.

We'll see, I guess. But Obama was no less a lame duck today than he was a few months ago, and he denied it then. And he's granted plenty of petitions, mostly to non-violent drug offenders serving life sentences.

If there's a big-name commutation, my bets are still on Peltier, who has been ill, and whose conviction has been widely questioned. And I'd say definitely not Assata Shakur, Snowden, Mumia Abu Jamal (who has also been ill ... but whom I strongly believe was guilty, and deserves to remain in prison) or Rubashkin.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:33 am
Samet and Rubashkin got outrageous sentences according to their crime murderers and drug dealers don't get such harsh sentences many times. We're yidden Bnei rachmonim who have pity - and we should definitely do whatever we can to get these people out already

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 2:10 am
Ruchel wrote:
All those things, including politic, have nothing to do with children and even less at school. Yet again Americans burden their kids.

So true. Why do 12-year-olds need to be discussing the crimes, court cases, sentences, and so on of adults who have nothing to do with them? These are really not things that need to be in the scope of 12-year-old worldview. Let them write letters of thanks and support to soldiers or if you want to teach persuasive writing then let them petition for more traffic lights or something concrete like that.

DrMom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:35 am
amother wrote:
No, there's nobody to talk to at the cheder. The principal supports his teachers no matter what. My son was slapped by this rebbe a few weeks ago and we are staying out of his way.

So this school forces students to sign their names to specific political statements and physically abuses them if they disagree?

Get your child out of there before they send him to the gulog.

BatZion

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:44 am
Um thanks DrMom and marina for stating the obvious- what the heck?! Surely you should be more concerned about the fact that your child is getting slapped by a "rebbe" than this whole letter-writing thing?!

We live in a crazy, crazy world- this whole conversation just continues on merrily after OP tells us that her child was smacked by his rebbe. NOT NORMAL people!!!!

You, OP, should be A LOT more worried about your child being physically abused by someone who is supposed to be educating your child with love and care than this letter thing...

Ok, I'll go and breathe shall I?

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:49 am
This thread makes me Puke !
What bad middos people have!!!

Now I know why were not out of gulus yet!

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:18 am
amother wrote:
Samet and Rubashkin got outrageous sentences according to their crime murderers and drug dealers don't get such harsh sentences many times. We're yidden Bnei rachmonim who have pity - and we should definitely do whatever we can to get these people out already

Well said!!!! I wish you had the guts to post it under your username!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:58 am
Just more comfortable being anonymous

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:42 pm
the Talmud says in Brachos (34b): B'Makom She'Baalei Teshuvah Omdim, Ein tzaddik Gamur Yachol Laamod

we ladies should worry more abt loving our fellow brother then 'those blasphemed chadorim manipulating our poor fragile children'.

Maya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
the Talmud says in Brachos (34b): B'Makom She'Baalei Teshuvah Omdim, Ein tzaddik Gamur Yachol Laamod

we ladies should worry more abt loving our fellow brother then 'those blasphemed chadorim manipulating our poor fragile children'.

So only a hardened criminal deserves to be called "your brother," but thousands of innocent young abused boys don't?

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:33 pm
amother wrote:

Huh? Are you being serious?????
We have place in our hearts to love both, all our fellow jews whether in jail, in cheder, in grocery, in shoe store or wherever they are!!!

I personally think OP is overreacting as the cheder didn't "force" the boys. It was just an activity they had, call it however you want. And if she trully disagrees she has a voice and can use it.

The rebbe hitting her son is what has to stop!!!!

OP I hope your dh called the rebbe and made a ruckos abt it!!!! Staying low key enables the rebbe to do wtvr he pleases, the parents involvement is what shows a rebbe "this child you better not touch"!!!
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics