Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Sanitary napkins
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:11 am
Honestly, I don't even remember what I did in high school. It obviously wasn't a big deal to me. My friends and I didn't talk about it, it was just a non issue.

DD has a cute makeup bag. She's in a generation of TMI, so she and her friends are always complaining about cramps, they know each other's schedules, and make sure to bring each other extra chocolate at lunch. (This is just among her tight little group, not the whole school.)

I think it's very healthy that they are so supportive of each other, and that they consider this just another normal, annoying part of being a girl. No one should be made to feel like a freak, because of a basic bodily function.

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:32 am
Another sleeve person here. I did have a small makeup bag type thing to keep them in. The complication was if the class you were in was nowhere near your locker. So I would change more often than needed to get the timing right.

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:15 am
amother wrote:
FYI Some rabbis say that girls shouldn't use a menstrual cup before they get married.

I highly doubt that it's any of their business.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:20 am
There are no Halachic issues with teens using tampons or menstrual cups. None. I've heard of some Rabbis having Hashkafic issues, and I totally don't get it. If anything, I think it promotes body awareness and can help prepare a girl for when she gets married, in a very healthy way.

Oh, the high school days! My high school had a back hallway connecting the girls' locker room to the back of the bathroom, on one of the floors. For 10th and 11th grade, it was a dream - I kept stuff in my locker, and could discreetly go from there to the bathroom.

The other years, I used to tuck an extra pad into the top of my tights, in a way that it didn't show.

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:07 am
keep a pad in between your underwear and tights where the uniform skirt starts to flair out so its hidden. I work in a high school and still do that today!

mamita

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:57 am
What's the problem for a teen? I mean for a married woman its a different story with mikvah and all, but young girls between friends?

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 2:30 pm
The makeup bag is awkward if it's not used for other reasons - everyone will know why you're holding it.

I currently wear three pads on very heavy days - front and back (overlapping each other) and one on top. Then I remove the middle one on top and can manage until the end of my workday like that, very well.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:22 pm
I had a jacket with pockets that zippered or snapped close. I would put it in the pocket and wear the jacket everytime I went to the bathroom.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:39 pm
I probably didn't change till I got home since there was no way I was aware of that was discreet enough embarrassed I was very shy and did not have the confidence it took to walk into the bathroom holding anything. Besides, it was stalls ... Using double and removing the top one is a good idea! I don't know why no one ever told me that trick. When me daughters will need this info I'm happy I can help them now. Glad I saw this thread!

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:46 pm
amother wrote:
I probably didn't change till I got home since there was no way I was aware of that was discreet enough embarrassed I was very shy and did not have the confidence it took to walk into the bathroom holding anything. Besides, it was stalls ... Using double and removing the top one is a good idea! I don't know why no one ever told me that trick. When me daughters will need this info I'm happy I can help them now. Glad I saw this thread!

Somehow it struck me as really funny that your amother assigned color was 'blush'? LOL

mom35

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:46 pm
The problem with putting one on top of the other is that sometimes when taking off the top one, it tears the top/netting of the one underneath. Did no-one have that issue?

gande

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:02 pm
amother wrote:

Same here. This subject was taboo. I didn't change and had heavy periods. Sometimes I would be so soaked and underwear stained that I would replace it with a wad of tissues.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:17 pm
amother wrote:
And then you just walked down the hall in school to the babathroom with a pad in your hand?

I've used tampons since I was 11. It's very easy to walk down the hall to the bathroom with a teeny tiny non-applicator tampon. I think with pads, it's always going to be slightly obvious but most people don't care when others are menstruating.

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:37 pm
I used to wear two, one on top of the other. Never found it to tear the bottom one.

sandwitched

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:47 pm
I get the chills when I think about my periods when I was in high school. I wish we had been more open about it. It wasn't enough that I had [crazy] cramps and walked around glassy eyed for the entire second and third day of my cycle, I still had to keep it secret and pretend all was well.

If only I can change that mindset...

DrMom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:58 am
sandwitched wrote:
I get the chills when I think about my periods when I was in high school. I wish we had been more open about it. It wasn't enough that I had [crazy] cramps and walked around glassy eyed for the entire second and third day of my cycle, I still had to keep it secret and pretend all was well.

gande wrote:
Same here. This subject was taboo. I didn't change and had heavy periods. Sometimes I would be so soaked and underwear stained that I would replace it with a wad of tissues.

These statements are so disturbing. What sorts of schools/communities were these?

Why were you glassy-eyed? Why do you get chills thinking about your period? Who would rather bleed all over their clothing than change a pad?

I am flabbergasted by this entire thread.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:10 am
sandwitched wrote:

Please don't use the word "[crazy]" in such a casual manner. There are many women here who have children with Downs Syndrome or other developmental delays, and that word is very hurtful.

I'm sorry you had such horrible cramps. I was the exact same way. Painful, terrible, torturous, excruciating, debilitating... see? Much more accurate description, without being insulting to anyone.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:26 am
I stayed home for 2 days as I used to pass out from the pain. So I didn't have this specific issue. Once I came back, I would keep two pads between my underwear and my tights.
Funny thing is my principal decided that if you have your period, you must stay in school because "in the real world..."
In the real world, labor is easier that my high school periods, and in the real world there is such a thing as days off...

sandwitched

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 5:35 pm
DrMom wrote:
These statements are so disturbing. What sorts of schools/communities were these?

Why were you glassy-eyed? Why do you get chills thinking about your period? Who would rather bleed all over their clothing than change a pad?

I am flabbergasted by this entire thread.

What don't you understand? Glassy-eyed is a level of pain, where I felt like my eyes were seeing but I wasn't seeing anything, that's how bad the pain was. And chills thinking about it? Because the experience was so painful and uncomfortable that thinking back brings on figurative chills.

sandwitched

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 5:39 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
Please don't use the word "[crazy]" in such a casual manner. There are many women here who have children with Downs Syndrome or other developmental delays, and that word is very hurtful.

I'm sorry you had such horrible cramps. I was the exact same way. Painful, terrible, torturous, excruciating, debilitating... see? Much more accurate description, without being insulting to anyone.

Oh come on! You're taking it to the next level! When I say crazy pain do I need to think about the people who are nebech taka not well?

Or when something is Meshuga do I need to think it too?

I never even thought of this word in that context.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children