Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Grocery Store Trying to Cheat us?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 8:27 pm
A local Kosher grocery store has a horrible practice of not having accurate signs up. Products won't be above their shelf price tag so you think the oil you grab is the one for $3 but instead it is the one for $5. You have to read the tag carefully to know which product each tag goes for and often the workers can't figure it out either and need to scan both products since the tags are quite similar! Same brand but two different styles etc.
I bought something and I saw the price come up at the cashier and was shocked at the difference- the tag said $4 and it was for $8! I brought it up to them and they showed me that the tag was wrong- this other item was the $4 one... And then they blamed the customers "The customer brings us the tag to show the price and just put it back wherever they want...". SO FIX IT WHEN IT IS BROUGHT TO YOUR ATTENTION. SO DON'T LET CUSTOMERS TAKE TAGS OFF OR RETURN THEM! The manager didn't care.
This wasn't the first time. Another time I showed them the wrong tag (I did not take it off the shelf, just showed the worker) and he looked at it and kept it there!! When I said it was the wrong tag, he shrugged. He only took it off when I specifically told him to remove it!! This is besides not always having tags there to begin with... but at least then I know to do a price check!

Are they trying to cheat us? This is a frum store! Exploding anger

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:52 am
I don't know halachaklly, but morally, yes. I worked in a store and if something was marked wrong, 9 times out of 10, I would give the price that was marked, if it was cheaper Wink .

imasinger

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:56 am
I doubt they are intentionally trying to cheat you.

But I would consider writing a letter saying that this happened several times, and was making you think twice about shopping there, and you hope they will work on the problem.

And that if there is a discrepancy, the general practice is to give it to the customer for the lower price.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:00 am
I've yet to be in a kosher grocery with prices on the items or shelves.

rachel6543

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:09 am
In my opinion You should report this issue to your local government that deals with price accuracy. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are usually state/county laws about accurate pricing and labels and this store is most likely breaking the law.

I've had similar issues with a local kosher store that used to be in my area. But It's not just kosher stores I have had issues; I've also had pricing issues at the local big chain supermarkets and stores in my area too. I've been overcharged or had pricing issues with places like Wholefoods and Target.

I always try to check my receipt before I leave the store. At some point over the years I've had a pricing issue at EVERY single grocery store (Jewish or not) in my area. The only store I can think of I didn't have a problem at checkout yet is costco.

Just last week I had a local big chain(non Jewish) store over charge me for avocados. The avocados were under a sign that clearly said 99 cent each. When I went to checkout was charged $1.50 each. The checkout person was new and trying to refund for the lower price, but the manager was being frustrating to deal with. The manager said the sign was wrong, and made an employee take down the sign. I did in the end get my refund but it was an annoying and frustrating situation and a waste of my time.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:31 am
Halachicly I believe the store has an obligation to give you the posted price. And correct their system. If a price is posted incorrectly and they charge people the higher price it is stealing (its a scary thought for store owners). You are actually obligated to tell them about the misPricing so they can fix it.

I find some stores make mistakes when having weekly sales and mis updating products in their system or they forget to take down old signs. Every time I've brought it to a store's attention they have credited my account. I'm very careful to go over my bill because I know this happens.

Last edited by sky on Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:31 am
This is one of my pet peeves in some of the local kosher supermarkets. I sometimes wonder if this would come under the Aveirah of having dishonest weights.

For example, I choose a certain brand of cocoa because the shelf tag lists it as cheaper and I feel it's good enough for my baking. I come to checkout and it's not "price as marked". Had I known it was the same price, I might have chosen the other brand of cocoa.

Stuff like that. It really irks me.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:39 am
A local store did this. Apparently someone complained to the city and they were given a fine. After that, they made sure to correctly price everything. The city comes unannounced and does a spot check now at least once a year.

naturalmom5

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:40 am
In Shoprite they have ScanRite . If the item scans wrong you get it free. I stopped going to Gourmet G for that reason. You grab a soup for 4.99 , its really 6.99 , only the barly mushroom, not the pea soup lmoshol. After it happened 5 times I said forget it.

At least Seasons its extremely nice about it..

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:07 pm
So sometimes the labels don't match up to the products. Meaning brand X rice is $2 but the tag is under brand Y. And even if I see the distinction on the tag, there is no brand X nearby. They don't put products by the right tags.m

And the owner doesn't care. People will shop there regardless. Convenient store for many...

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:07 pm
Is it ok to call the city and lodge an anonymous complaint?

madys

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:14 pm
I have this problem in my local kosher grocery store. NOTHING is labled!! They have some old stickers on the shelf for products they don't even carry, or are somewhere else in the store.

I once bought a pack of ice-pops thinking it would be around $5 (of course there was no price) when I got home and checked my receipt it was something like $8 or $9!

I hate shopping there because it's like a horrible round of the Price is Right. The only things that have prices are the meat and the candy (which is sold by the pound)

So Annoying!!!

I would hate to report the store, the owner lives in the neighborhood and is a big baal tzedakah, but still!!!

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:21 pm
I often have this problem, where the sign says one thing but the item scans for a different price. Since this is happening at checkout I have the choice of waiting till someone goes to the aisle to check the sign, not buying the item or paying full price. If I"m in a rush and really need the item I'll just end up paying their price. It's very annoying. It's not only frum stores; it happens at regular supermarkets and stores like Walmart and Target.

rikki 1

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:36 pm
local hosiery stores have no prices on them, I have no idea until I get to checkout how much my items will cost. I hate being the 'cheapy' and asking for prices of all the products, and it's not practical to ask for all the prices of items I am looking at. I just bought something yesterday that was expensive, I figured at least I'll get it to last for a while and the pair of $6 tights for my 4 year old got a hole in it the first day!

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:37 pm
I think you should all talk to the owners/managers of these stores. If they refuse to do anything about it, then maybe consider going "above their heads" to the local vaad.

One time I bought something in the deli dept of my local kosher grocery, and when I got home I saw that it was marked as weighing quite a bit more than it felt like. I checked it on my kitchen scale to confirm that I was correct. So I called the owner and brought it in. She had the deli guys check, and I was right. Eventually they figured out that there was a cup that was sitting on the edge of the scale when they weighed my food. The owners were horrified and so apologetic that this had happened (I believe it's an issur d'Oreisa) and seriously scolded their deli staff to never ever let this happen again, and they gave it to me for free with huge apologies and thanked me for letting them know.

This is how to run a business properly.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:43 pm
rikki 1 wrote:
local hosiery stores have no prices on them, I have no idea until I get to checkout how much my items will cost. I hate being the 'cheapy' and asking for prices of all the products, and it's not practical to ask for all the prices of items I am looking at. I just bought something yesterday that was expensive, I figured at least I'll get it to last for a while and the pair of $6 tights for my 4 year old got a hole in it the first day!

this makes me so mad. I bought my daughter an expensive pair of tights to match an outfit and the crotch unraveled when she put it on. The owner said she must have tugged on it wrong, when it was obvious there was an issue. He started telling me about the quality control on the product. I work in a production type industry with QA. There is no way they are doing that type of quality control on each pair of tights. he said I should go get another pair (I thought for a free exchange) and then only gave me 20% discount and made himself out to be a tzadek losing money.
I then told him a specific style girl tights he manufacturers and sells (that is $3 more than his other tights - with his amazing quality control) gets holes all the time, and he said that is the nature of the fabric - there is nothing to do.
It makes me so mad, selling tights for girls that are disposable that cost so much. I've stopped buying all of his products.

sky

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:45 pm
I've never had a store argue with me and charge me the higher price after I bring it to their attention. (and I do all the time in different stores).

If on a delivery they send me the wrong non-sale brand, or make a mistake on the price they always credit my account if I call. Lately Farm Fresh in Lakewood has been amazing about this.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:48 pm
sky wrote:
this makes me so mad. I bought my daughter an expensive pair of tights to match an outfit and the crotch unraveled when she put it on. The owner said she must have tugged on it wrong, when it was obvious there was an issue. He started telling me about the quality control on the product. I work in a production type industry with QA. There is no way they are doing that type of quality control on each pair of tights. he said I should go get another pair (I thought for a free exchange) and then only gave me 20% discount and made himself out to be a tzadek losing money.
I then told him a specific style girl tights he manufacturers and sells (that is $3 more than his other tights - with his amazing quality control) gets holes all the time, and he said that is the nature of the fabric - there is nothing to do.
It makes me so mad, selling tights for girls that are disposable that cost so much. I've stopped buying all of his products.

My husband bought a $10 pair of gloves at a frum store that fell apart after wearing it once. The store owner refused to refund or exchange it. This type of lousy customer service is why we don't shop in frum stores unless the owner is a mentch. If your product is defective don't force the customer to accept the loss!

Volunteer

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:03 pm
This one of two peeves about the kosher stores in Brooklyn. Inaccurate price labels and spoilage due to poor storage. Who has time to ask the price of each item I buy? I got fed up and now I boycott all stores that don't have clear and accurate price labels. If they don't post a price, I guess their goods are not for sale.

Faigy86

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:10 pm
I get annoyed also that even when they have bar code scanners - they are always broken!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics