Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Prof Organizer for DH with ADD
1  2  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:27 pm
We live in Brooklyn, NY and DH needs a professional organizer who specializes in clients with ADD- it is very different than working with a regular client (although many people who utilize POs may very well have ADD). Right now he is looking to organize his home office.

I would like to check out people with whom others have had personal success, not just the well-known names in the community.

Can you recommend someone for DH? Can you explain what you liked about this organizer?

Thanks.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 4:40 pm
Bumping for the late afternoon crowd.

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 6:26 pm
I know someone who is currently being helped by the organizing doc. http://www.theorganizingdoc.com/
She is located in Brooklyn.

He has add and difficulty throwing stuff out. He's tried other people and it didn't work but she seems to be really working for him which to me seems like a miracle! You can also look online for organizers who specialize in ADD, it's considered a specialty within organizers.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:52 pm
Thanks for the info, I will check it out.

Anyone else have someone to recommend?

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:56 pm
Op I'm amazed that you came up with this idea. Ds has ADHD and I could see he will need this in the future. It's heartwarming to see you dealing with his problem instead of complaining.

amother
Olive

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:59 pm
In all honesty I wouldnt try. I would accept him for who he is. ADD people are creative and usually relaxed about things. But I love watching Alexandra TV shes very good for organization.

amother
Emerald

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:00 pm
I have add, but don't live anywhere near you. If I did, I'd highly recognize a tremendous home management/ organizer that helped me in so, so many ways! I think it's a great idea, and I'm sure your husband will really appreciate it. Btw: Just because I appear laid back to many, it's always been so embarrassing how disorganized my home was!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:47 pm
amother wrote:
In all honesty I wouldnt try. I would accept him for who he is. ADD people are creative and usually relaxed about things. But I love watching Alexandra TV shes very good for organization.
I am curious, do you speak from experience of having a spouse or child or yourself having ADD?

DH specifically asked me to help him hire somebody. It is quite frustrating for him (and other people with ADD who he knows), to live in the disorganization that is his life. It is not about accepting or not accepting him for what he is, but to help him implement systems so that all his creativity can bear fruition.

Thanks for the Alexandra suggestion, I enjoy her as well but she does not specialize in this so those tips won't help him.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:50 pm
I need the same thing for myself! I hope I can get leads from this thread.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
I have add, but don't live anywhere near you. If I did, I'd highly recognize a tremendous home management/ organizer that helped me in so, so many ways! I think it's a great idea, and I'm sure your husband will really appreciate it. Btw: Just because I appear laid back to many, it's always been so embarrassing how disorganized my home was!
If you don't mind, I'd love to have that info, I can try to network with the organizer, perhaps they can refer me to someone here. Many POs know others in other cities, through NAPO and such. If you're comfortable with it. Thanks for the encouragement!

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 11:58 pm
amother wrote:
Op I'm amazed that you came up with this idea. Ds has ADHD and I could see he will need this in the future. It's heartwarming to see you dealing with his problem instead of complaining.
Oh, I do plenty of complaining in my head, don't worry.

And thanks for the encouragement, it's really not easy for this Type A wifey (who didn't realize this about DH til around a good while into marriage...)

I've discovered this website, forums for people with ADD, and a great section for spouses.
Please do yourself a favor and check it out- www.addforums.com

Solidarity to all you women and wives dealing with ADD! May we only benefit from the advantages.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:07 am
amother wrote:
I need the same thing for myself! I hope I can get leads from this thread.
Good luck to you, especially if you are a housewife/traditional women's role- that can't be easy to run a home.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:16 am
How is an organizer who specializes in ADD different than a regular organizer?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:39 am
gp2.0 wrote:
How is an organizer who specializes in ADD different than a regular organizer?
I am looking for experience and understanding ADD.

I am by nature an organized person and thrive on schedules and systems. I have considered hiring an organizer in the past as a consultant in my home, help me hone the systems I have going and to benefit from their tips and experience.

I see how DH has a different way of thinking, and specifically more difficult struggles with figuring out systems that will work FOR HIM and implementing and maintaining them. Removing everything from the closet, purging and putting back in neat and pretty containers ain't doing it for him. It's deeper than that.

I think that a really good professional organizer *can* easily deal with clients with ADD (and many probably do even if the clients don't label themselves as such) but I specifically want to work with someone who is knowledgeable and has experience with this clientele.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:46 am
amother wrote:
Good luck to you, especially if you are a housewife/traditional women's role- that can't be easy to run a home.

thank you.
Yes, it is a daily nightmare. you don't want to visit my house.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:26 am
amother wrote:
I am looking for experience and understanding ADD.

I am by nature an organized person and thrive on schedules and systems. I have considered hiring an organizer in the past as a consultant in my home, help me hone the systems I have going and to benefit from their tips and experience.

I see how DH has a different way of thinking, and specifically more difficult struggles with figuring out systems that will work FOR HIM and implementing and maintaining them. Removing everything from the closet, purging and putting back in neat and pretty containers ain't doing it for him. It's deeper than that.

I think that a really good professional organizer *can* easily deal with clients with ADD (and many probably do even if the clients don't label themselves as such) but I specifically want to work with someone who is knowledgeable and has experience with this clientele.

My experience with a personal organizer was that she did work with me in all the little ways that my household runs. For example, in her opinion, kids hair accessories belonged upstairs in the bedroom on a shelf. But when I explained to her that the kids hair accessories would end up in the bathroom and kitchen too, because we would take them off before the bath or right after school, I ended up with 3 containers for hair accessories, one in the bedroom, one in the bathroom and one in the kitchen. If we would have had just one container in the bedroom it would have been a nice idea in theory, but there would still have been hair accessories scattered all over the bathroom and kitchen. Her goal was to maintain the system I already had, because odds are it isn't going to change, but it did get more organized. Is that what you mean?

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:24 pm
Yes, I guess so.

I think DH will need prompting because he is not as self-aware, so he doesn't want to rely on him initiating those discussions about his work flow, he sort of needs someone to prompt and ask and educate all at once.

Which, as I said, a good PO will do anyway. Like I said, I just want to find someone who will work with him rather than do all the work without practical maintenance plan like I'm nervous that some might do.

Can you recommend who you worked with?

gp2.0

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 12:51 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, I guess so.

I think DH will need prompting because he is not as self-aware, so he doesn't want to rely on him initiating those discussions about his work flow, he sort of needs someone to prompt and ask and educate all at once.

Which, as I said, a good PO will do anyway. Like I said, I just want to find someone who will work with him rather than do all the work without practical maintenance plan like I'm nervous that some might do.

Can you recommend who you worked with?

She was really great but she lives in Monsey. She's a family friend so she came down to Brooklyn for me but I don't think she'd normally do it.

Maybe call a few personal organizers and ask them about their process to see if it would be a good fit? You can brief them beforehand that your DH needs more prompting and needs to maintain his current system in a more organized way instead of completely overhauling it. Then they can tell you what their plan is and how they work and you can decide if it's the right fit for you...sorry I don't have any local recommendations. I see them advertised here and there every so often though.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:57 pm
gp2.0 wrote:
sorry I don't have any local recommendations. I see them advertised here and there every so often though.
Ok, thanks.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:32 pm
Op, you can also ask them if they deal with people who are not organized by nature and ask if they have satisfied customers and they should give you some. Speaking to satisfied customers will give you an idea if they are for you.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics