Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Cheder made DS write a letter to pardon a criminal
Previous  1  2  3  4  5

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:40 pm
Maya wrote:
So only a hardened criminal deserves to be called "your brother," but thousands of innocent young abused boys don't?

Very very sadly, this attitude is way too common in too many communities I know...

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:56 pm
yksraya wrote:
Huh? Are you being serious?????
We have place in our hearts to love both, all our fellow jews whether in jail, in cheder, in grocery, in shoe store or wherever they are!!!

I personally think OP is overreacting as the cheder didn't "force" the boys. It was just an activity they had, call it however you want. And if she trully disagrees she has a voice and can use it.

The rebbe hitting her son is what has to stop!!!!

OP I hope your dh called the rebbe and made a ruckos abt it!!!! Staying low key enables the rebbe to do wtvr he pleases, the parents involvement is what shows a rebbe "this child you better not touch"!!!

I'm sure you mean well, but something rubs me the wrong way about a community making a fuss to get a criminal out of jail, and being ok with child abuse. So I agree that op should make a fuss so that the rebbe will not hit her son, but you are ok with the rebbe then moving on to the next easy target? poor kids Sad

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:00 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
I'm sure you mean well, but something rubs me the wrong way about a community making a fuss to get a criminal out of jail, and being ok with child abuse. So I agree that op should make a fuss so that the rebbe will not hit her son, but you are ok with the rebbe then moving on to the next easy target? poor kids Sad

And where did I say I'm ok with it? OP needs to care for her child, the other children have parents too hopefully.

dancingqueen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:40 pm
yksraya wrote:
And where did I say I'm ok with it? OP needs to care for her child, the other children have parents too hopefully.

Well you said that parental involvement shows the rebbe that THIS kid you don't hit, which to me implies knowledge that he will move on to hitting the next kid whose parents are unaware or don't care. Why not make a stink to the principal that this rebbe must stop hitting? Do these school have ptas?

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:46 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Well you said that parental involvement shows the rebbe that THIS kid you don't hit, which to me implies knowledge that he will move on to hitting the next kid whose parents are unaware or don't care. Why not make a stink to the principal that this rebbe must stop hitting? Do these school have ptas?

It wasn't my child who got hit. Yes maybe OP should make a stink if she is the type. Or if she gets the involvement of all other parents. I was refering to OP saying in one of her posts that she and her dh are trying to stay low key so the rebbe doesn't hit her kid. Which I think has the opposite effect. It enables him to continue hitting.
Of course if she can persuade the principal to get the rebbe to stop hitting or firing him for that it would be great. But her child comes first and she needs to make sure he doesn't get hit.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:51 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

If every parent did this, the hitting would stop. (I thought hitting became outdated in many schools already.)

The point being that it's the hitting that should raise alarm bells rather than the writing assignment.

smile12345

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:24 am
Maya wrote:
So only a hardened criminal deserves to be called "your brother," but thousands of innocent young abused boys don't?

Way out of context.
Yes, you should have more sympathy for Jewish prisoners than the poor poor boys who were manipulated into writing a (gasp) letter.

(Should we be troubled by the hitting? Most definitely yes. But that's not what was being discussed here.)

Cookie Monster

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:21 am
smile12345 wrote:
Way out of context.
Yes, you should have more sympathy for Jewish prisoners than the poor poor boys who were manipulated into writing a (gasp) letter.

(Should we be troubled by the hitting? Most definitely yes. But that's not what was being discussed here.)

That's exactly the point! It SHOULD be discussed here not glossed over as a by the way...

smile12345

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 9:41 am
Cookie Monster wrote:
That's exactly the point! It SHOULD be discussed here not glossed over as a by the way...

Agree.
But, it's the OP who is glossing it over.
Why start a thread about stupid letters and arguing whether or not we should care about prisoners (I think we should!) when that's the least of the issues in the cheder?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:04 am
Maya wrote:

Maya- you made it clear that you have a personal agenda. Against an entire and very large community- satmar. We take your opinion with a large grain of salt when you speak of them. This was your doing- noone else's.

Nobody on here is discussing abuse either. FTR.

SixOfWands

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:16 am
amother wrote:
Maya- you made it clear that you have a personal agenda. Against an entire and very large community- satmar. We take your opinion with a large grain of salt when you speak of them. This was your doing- noone else's.

I think Maya's point is that we SHOULD be discussing abuse. The OP wrote:

Quote:
My son was slapped by this rebbe a few weeks ago and we are staying out of his way.

So we have a school that is apparently concerned with convicted felons, but is fine with children being hit.

simchat

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:36 am
amother wrote:
Very very sadly, this attitude is way too common in too many communities I know...

And the parents are largely to blame. If every parent of every child who gets hit pressed charges, the abuse would have to stop. Why are people these days so much more consumed with being scared of their name or kids shidduch chances or acceptances into 'good' schools being ruined than someone inflicting psychological and physical damage on their child???? It boggles the mind.... If someone so much as laid a finger on my child, trust me, your kids would be coerced into writing letters to pardon that criminal.

As for the OP, I agree, it's wrong. Political agendas have no place in schools, particular with younger children. You can all argue over this mitzvah and that crime, but bottom line, a letter sent in an official capacity like that needs to be initiated by the sender. That said, I doubt the president or whoever is taking a whole school's worth of letters into any consideration. Again, these children are too young to actually have an informed opinion on this subject.

As an aside, if you truly care about someone sitting in jail, there's nothing wrong with petitioning yourself and even spreading awareness among your peers to write or donating to that cause etc. And there is equally nothing wrong with praying and asking your children to pray and do good deeds for these poor souls. I believe that would fall under the category of the mitzvah of releasing prisoners. At the end of the day, G-d knows who is innocent and it doesn't hurt to beg Him to pardon our incarcerated brethren.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:03 pm
amother wrote:

It's not about Satmar. It's easier to direct your anger at the community you were born in, but you have to be honest with yourself that the anger is really against your abusive mother.

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:04 pm
amother wrote:
Unless Obama can read Yiddish then no, they weren't practicing their English writing skills. The cheder doesn't have English for boys this age anymore.

I find this more alarming. Why do parents accept this for 12 year old boys? I can't wrap my mind around why parents want their children to be functionally illiterate.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:08 pm
amother wrote:
It's not about Satmar. It's easier to direct your anger at the community you were born in, but you have to be honest with yourself that the anger is really against your abusive mother.

Lol, it's easy to say that the reason someone is angry at their community is because their parents were abusive, instead of acknowledging that there are valid reasons to be angry at flaws in a community which can screw people up, huh?

Every single society in the world has flaws. The most basic difference between societies is how they deal with it.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Lol, it's easy to say that the reason someone is angry at their community is because their parents were abusive, instead of acknowledging that there are valid reasons to be angry at flaws in a community which can screw people up, huh?

Every single society in the world has flaws. The most basic difference between societies is how they deal with it.

This topic is not regarding any specific societies. Responding to a post regarding a particular member on here who has mentioned that she had an abusive childhood and keeps attacking others here because of it.

Maya

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:10 pm
amother wrote:

First, it doesn't matter to me how you take my opinions. I will state them when and where I want to, and you are free to disregard them.

Second, I did not have an abusive childhood home life. I never claimed I did. Please don't malign my family for your own agenda.

Third, what exactly was my doing?
Page 5 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5 Recent Topics