Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Davening for people

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 12:49 pm
When you daven for people, and presumably have a list, how often do you update that list and how? I have some of the name of the people who gave me the names so I can ask them, though I have quite a long list, what about the others? Do you just daven for them for a certain amount of time and then start your list new?

Thanks

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:28 am
When the list gets long I keep the newer ones, the more urgent, the closer ones and those that touch me most
May all the people get a yeshua!

essie14

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:31 am
I only keep a list of people I know personally and who I am being updated on because of our relationship. When I get a random request I say one perek of tehillim and a yehi ratzon for that person and that's it. I find that keeping a huge list of strangers actually hinders my kavannah.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:05 pm
essie14 wrote:
I only keep a list of people I know personally and who I am being updated on because of our relationship. When I get a random request I say one perek of tehillim and a yehi ratzon for that person and that's it. I find that keeping a huge list of strangers actually hinders my kavannah.

This.
There are so many people who ask and then disappear, or who are only passing along a message that they got tenth-hand and nobody even knows who the person is anymore... last time I saw someone who kept a list "until further notice" had about 5 pages and was just rattling off names and I can't even imagine there's any meaning to that.

Debbie

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:30 pm
A few years ago a text message went round my community asking people to daven for someone who was apparently at deaths door; there were no updates for months,but then a year or more later exactly the same text was sent round again not a single detail had changed.
I have also received an email asking me to daven for someone and it turned out that person died the previous year.
I do most certainly daven for people,but I do think updates are necessary.
I can understand ladies here saying it disturbs their Kavanah, I've been known to go blank when trying to remember some of the names on my list!

zaq

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:10 pm
essie14 wrote:

This. Reciting a long laundry list of total strangers is virtually meaningless to me. I daven daily for those I know personally or are closely connected to those I know personally, and for strangers on a one-time basis. Top off the prayer with "betoch shear cholei amcha yisrael" or words to that effect and finished.

Debbie

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:16 pm
As a point of interest, how long do the ladies here daven for someone who is on the list for the long term; is one supposed to daven indefinitely or is there a period after which one can be said to have done ones duty?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics