Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Grocery Store Trying to Cheat us?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:12 pm
Volunteer wrote:
This one of two peeves about the kosher stores in Brooklyn. Inaccurate price labels and spoilage due to poor storage. Who has time to ask the price of each item I buy? I got fed up and now I boycott all stores that don't have clear and accurate price labels. If they don't post a price, I guess their goods are not for sale.

I also hate having to bring back the spoiled items. I bought four packages of feta cheese for a recipe. Guess I didn't look at the dates carefully enough. One was spoiled, with green mold. I threw it out. Next time I came to the store, they said they can't refund it unless I bring it back. I really don't want to keep moldy, stinking cheese in my fridge till the next time I'm near that store! Isn't it their responsibility to take all the cheeses that are past the "sell-by" dates off their shelves?

I also find that in many stores I have to check the expiration dates on cans very carefully because the older ones are mixed in with the newer ones. I bought Hunt's tomato sauce in a local grocery, and some of them are good till 2020, while others expired in 2011! How did they all end up next to each other on the shelf, unless they were mixed in intentionally?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:13 pm
Instead of complaining here maybe there is somone in your community to talk to about it. Bring it up in a readers write in a newspaper or magazine like ami . My grocery has a price scanner so I take the items there to scan before I buy. I wish all groceries have it. But I notice it angers the grocery when after scanning I end up not buying certain groceries because I know they are better priced somewhere else. Groceries are great business that try to get you yo buy the most they can get you to buy.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:15 pm
What am I to do? The next closest store has flies and bugs everywhere. The others are a nice walk or a drive to get there. This one is around the corner.
I guess I should ask a shaila about what to do besides boycotting.

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:
Instead of complaining here maybe there is somone in your community to talk to about it. Bring it up in a readers write in a newspaper or magazine like ami . My grocery has a price scanner so I take the items there to scan before I buy. I wish all groceries have it. But I notice it angers the grocery when after scanning I end up not buying certain groceries because I know they are better priced somewhere else. Groceries are great business that try to get you yo buy the most they can get you to buy.

I have no problem with a grocery trying to sell as much as they can. I just don't like feeling taken advantage of, or like they're "unloading" their junk on me for the same price as fresher stuff.

I have a big family, so I don't mind buying milk that has an upcoming expiration date. It will be used up in my house way before it expires. But unless I'm getting a real bargain, don't sell me milk that was already expired.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:30 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
In Shoprite they have ScanRite . If the item scans wrong you get it free. I stopped going to Gourmet G for that reason. You grab a soup for 4.99 , its really 6.99 , only the barly mushroom, not the pea soup lmoshol. After it happened 5 times I said forget it.

At least Seasons its extremely nice about it..

Actually, at Gourmet Glatt one week, they had a sign on the chocolate-filled bamba snack (which my kids LOVE, but is usually too expensive to buy) saying it's on sale. It scanned at the higher price, and it turned out that the sign was supposed to be only on the plain bamba...but they let me have it for the sale price. My kids really enjoyed the treat.

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:44 pm
Chayalle wrote:
Actually, at Gourmet Glatt one week, they had a sign on the chocolate-filled bamba snack (which my kids LOVE, but is usually too expensive to buy) saying it's on sale. It scanned at the higher price, and it turned out that the sign was supposed to be only on the plain bamba...but they let me have it for the sale price. My kids really enjoyed the treat.

That's good to know. Can you believe I've never tried Gourmet Glatt out yet? I don't like big, overwhelming stores. Maybe I'll give them a visit.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 1:55 pm
debsey wrote:
That's good to know. Can you believe I've never tried Gourmet Glatt out yet? I don't like big, overwhelming stores. Maybe I'll give them a visit.

And I haven't visited Seasons yet, as it's not in my neighborhood. I keep saying I should check it out one day....

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 2:39 pm
Chayalle wrote:
And I haven't visited Seasons yet, as it's not in my neighborhood. I keep saying I should check it out one day....

I have to stop visiting seasons. Their sushi is just too good and I'm pregnant. Sometimes, when I'm in a huge rush, I go in there to have them grill me a piece of fish and buy their quinoa salad and that's an amazing lunch on the go. But they're not cheap, so I need to resist the temptation......

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 2:47 pm
debsey wrote:
I also hate having to bring back the spoiled items. I bought four packages of feta cheese for a recipe. Guess I didn't look at the dates carefully enough. One was spoiled, with green mold. I threw it out. Next time I came to the store, they said they can't refund it unless I bring it back. I really don't want to keep moldy, stinking cheese in my fridge till the next time I'm near that store! Isn't it their responsibility to take all the cheeses that are past the "sell-by" dates off their shelves?

I also find that in many stores I have to check the expiration dates on cans very carefully because the older ones are mixed in with the newer ones. I bought Hunt's tomato sauce in a local grocery, and some of them are good till 2020, while others expired in 2011! How did they all end up next to each other on the shelf, unless they were mixed in intentionally?

I once had 2 packages of cold cuts that stank as soon as I opened it(the dates were actually good - the store probably let it sit out too long before unloading the delivery). I chucked them and the next time I went in I asked for a refund , the cashier said he can't refund me unless I bring the stuff back so I was out $14 since I'm not in the habit of leaving rotten pastrami in my fridge til the next time I can get out to the grocery.
After someone told me that they want to bring back the stuff because they give it back to the company who credits them... I hear their point but still when you have a customer spending around $1k a month on groceries in your store it would make sense to provide service and suck up the $14.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:12 pm
I don't live in NYC and shop consistently at three grocery stores, all are regional chains. I've never had a problem with items being priced in error. All are great about refunds. This past summer I bought a water melon that was just ok, the next time I was in the store I mentioned it to a produce clerk and he merely picked another, wrote no charge on it and that was that. Around Thanksgiving I was buying mandarins and asked a produce clerk if they were running sweet. He grabbed one off the pile and opened it up and we shared:)

I consider myself a recreational grocery shopper and love food shopping. Yesterday I was out pricing briskets for Hanukah (I make my own corned beef and pastrami) and went to my local 'yuppy' market that I use for meat. They now have a kosher butcher and meat section. I discussed my needs with the manager and naturally was floored by the price. By the time I left the kosher meat manager committed that I would get a full brisket trimmed (top and bottom) and weighed after the trim!! No haggling involved, when I was shocked by the first price he said he would work with me and that he valued my business. The per pound price he gave me was incredible.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:01 pm
Debsey and chayalle don't you know that ____ does this on purpose? They allow spoiled cold cuts and ready salads to sit there with mold and won't take care of it. They even put on a new sticker on the expired cold cuts! I know many people are complaining about this store here.

The one that has3 stores here. Y' know which one I mean. Just because other. Stores recently opened they are feeling the pinch. So they are trying to give better service. Till recently they didn't have decent cashiers and packers! U had to pack yourself at times. Isn't this something I pay for? And if I don't I want a discount. Whatever this store you know which one, iknows what they are doing and don't care, because most of Lakewood comes to them anyway.

Good thing there is competition it makes things better for the customers

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:08 pm
sourstix wrote:
Debsey and chayalle don't you know that ____ does this on purpose? They allow spoiled cold cuts and ready salads to sit there with mold and won't take care of it. They even put on a new sticker on the expired cold cuts! I know many people are complaining about this store here.

The one that has3 stores here. Y' know which one I mean. Just because other. Stores recently opened they are feeling the pinch. So they are trying to give better service. Till recently they didn't have decent cashiers and packers! U had to pack yourself at times. Isn't this something I pay for? And if I don't I want a discount. Whatever this store you know which one, iknows what they are doing and don't care, because most of Lakewood comes to them anyway.

Good thing there is competition it makes things better for the customers

That's why I don't shop there anymore. I'd rather pay more and have a better shopping experience and I know many who are doing the same.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:10 pm
From the time I moved here till now there is a lot of change in the attitude in groceries here. They are nervous about competition and that's what's giving us the best service. I do think Lakewood has a way to go. But so far doing ok. Seasons is nice but too expensive for me. Gourmet g, not my style, way too big. Also more expensive then npgs. Npgs Jackson the. Best one in Lakewood. But delivery is a nightmare. Delivery in Lakewood is a nightmare altogether. I usually don't look for discrepancy in prices. Prices are usually the right ones.

sourstix

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:12 pm
Food is expensive and the other stores charge so much. I simply can't do more then I am already. I make sure to check everything I take there. I only go to Jackson. And occasionally when I get something spoiled I just throw away. I am aware of which companies have issues. I don't buy those anymore. So far so good.

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:32 pm
sourstix wrote:
From the time I moved here till now there is a lot of change in the attitude in groceries here. They are nervous about competition and that's what's giving us the best service. I do think Lakewood has a way to go. But so far doing ok. Seasons is nice but too expensive for me. Gourmet g, not my style, way too big. Also more expensive then npgs. Npgs Jackson the. Best one in Lakewood. But delivery is a nightmare. Delivery in Lakewood is a nightmare altogether. I usually don't look for discrepancy in prices. Prices are usually the right ones.

check expiration dates very carefully in NPGS! Other than that, the prices are great, and I'm used to the store so I don't find it big and overwhelming anymore.

Carmen Luna

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:53 pm
[quote="rachel6543"]In my opinion You should report this issue to your local government that deals with price accuracy. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are usually state/county laws about accurate pricing and labels and this store is most likely breaking the law.
quote]

Not to derail the thread but I find this sentiment fairly common on Imamother and I think that these women don't realize that its so fundamentally wrong to have this sort of "See-something-you-don't-like-report-it-to-the-authority" mindset. I find it sad that women who follow the ways of our Torah which explicitly forbids it, became so entrenched in this pathetic American culture that they don't flinch before suing every Tom, d!ck and Harry and ratting out our neighbors at every little indiscretion. Now, you might disagree but that doesn't change that Mesira is a grave sin and there very rare exceptions to the rule.. Just food for thought.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:17 pm
[quote="Carmen Luna"]
rachel6543 wrote:
In my opinion You should report this issue to your local government that deals with price accuracy. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are usually state/county laws about accurate pricing and labels and this store is most likely breaking the law.
quote]

Not to derail the thread but I find this sentiment fairly common on Imamother and I think that these women don't realize that its so fundamentally wrong to have this sort of "See-something-you-don't-like-report-it-to-the-authority" mindset. I find it sad that women who follow the ways of our Torah which explicitly forbids it, became so entrenched in this pathetic American culture that they don't flinch before suing every Tom, d!ck and Harry and ratting out our neighbors at every little indiscretion. Now, you might disagree but that doesn't change that Mesira is a grave sin and there very rare exceptions to the rule.. Just food for thought.

They won't listen to the customer. I said I might ask a shaila before doing anything but it bothers me that they KNOW we won't report and therefore take major advantage of that and try to cheat us!
The fact that someone reported that they put new stickers on spoiled/expired meat is crazy!!!

debsey

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:21 pm
[quote="Carmen Luna"]
rachel6543 wrote:
In my opinion You should report this issue to your local government that deals with price accuracy. I'm not sure where you're located, but there are usually state/county laws about accurate pricing and labels and this store is most likely breaking the law.
quote]

Agree 100%. It's different in the case of child endangerment, where the argument can be made that a life is at stake. I think because there's been a backlash against not reporting child abuse, people are erring on the other side and suggesting reporting everything. No one will die because the guy in the store is a jerk about a 14.00 return. If someone leaves her 2 and 4 year old alone all night to go party, someone might die. There's a difference!

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 10:29 pm
Carmen Luna wrote:
I find it sad that women who follow the ways of our Torah which explicitly forbids it, became so entrenched in this pathetic American culture that they don't flinch before suing every Tom, d!ck and Harry and ratting out our neighbors at every little indiscretion.

I agree 100 percent. Jews should be using rabbonim and battei din for this kind of problem.

However, I suspect that part of the problem is that in some geographical areas, the normal mechanisms have become so politicized that people don't feel their cases will be treated fairly. In many cases, unfortunately, they're correct.

When I first came on Imamother, I was really shocked at the cynicism women had about taking a problem to a rav, a Vaad, or a beis din. Very quickly, I learned that I just happened to live in a bubble -- a community with several strong leaders who cooperate rather than compete and who are capable of putting aside philosophical differences when confronted with a legitimate problem. I became much, much more appreciative and made a point to donate to the funds that support these dayanim.

So while we should be resolving these kinds of things within the community, I'm sympathetic to the women who don't believe they'll be taken seriously. It's a good reminder of why we have to daven for righteous judges each day.

geulah papyrus

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:10 am
Years ago when I first got married, we used to buy one of the kosher brands for orange juice and milk from a specific store. I ended up throwing stuff away often (ETA: because the products were often spoiled when I opened them,) since it was inconvenient to keep going back and forth for returns at the time. (Now that I have a car, my kids are bigger, and I'm able to be out and about more, I don't hesitate to take things back if necessary.) I stopped buying from that store and stopped buying that brand. A few years later, I was telling the story to a friend of mine in the kosher food industry who told me (at the time, not sure if things have changed since then) that that particular company did not use refrigerated trucks to deliver their products to stores. So, it's not just paying more--it's paying more for a spoiled product. Grrr. I rarely have that problem now that I only buy national brands for these products.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics