Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Why is Frum clothing SO small?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:35 pm
I recently lost a lot of weight - almost 90 pounds and I am so happy and proud that I can finally go to normal stores, not plus-sized. I'm now about a size 10/12, in regular skirts.

I've been having trouble finding a denim skirt that I liked, so I went to the local frum shop and tried on different skirts. The only one I liked, was an XL and it was extremely tight. Now, if I go to the mall, I'm a size medium. Why am I barely an XL?

Why do frum companies want frum women to feel bad about themselves? Why are they perpetuating the eating disorders in the community?

It really makes me furious. Exploding anger

2cents

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 5:53 pm
I've had the same experience at several Jewish stores. Recently though I was in a store on 13th avenue and didn't know if I should try on a large or medium. I asked the sales lady and she said 'take a small, we have heimish sizes'. For the first time maybe ever, I needed an extra small. So maybe it varies?

Maya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:00 pm
From the few times I've tried them, my impression was that the clothes were simply cheaply made and badly tailored, with unrealistic waist to hip ratios and sizes which didn't make sense.

Some items, like the Kiki Riki shells, seems to be made purposefully ridiculous, but other are just a result of incompetent designing.

sandwitched

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:05 pm
I was looking for a shabbos skirt so I walked into a frum store, and this sales lady looks down her nose (up her nose, I was way taller than her) and says, meh I dont think we have anything in her size.

I mean, seriously? I am a size 14-16!!! That's not huge! Half the city is this size! Where are we supposed to shop exactly? If the store only caters to skinny people then it should call itself petite boutique or whatever. Like fat Albert rightfully calls itself by name (don't know if it's mamish for plus sizes but you get my drift) . don't appear as a regular store when half the city cannot shop there. I left the store so angry!

sandwitched

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:07 pm
If I'm off topic, I apologize, didn't read thru the entire thread. I just saw the title and it just jumped out at me.

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:07 pm
I find that they are actually too big!!!! They hardly sell my size!!!

But I've heard that only ppl size 2-4 till abt size 8 can find stuff.
I'm smaller then 2 usually. Now after my baby (6months old) I fit in some size 2 so it's a bit easier to find in heimishe stores lately.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:20 pm
Lol petite boutique.

Its a problem in some places. Some I think are catering to teens.

I love love the Wear and Flair skirts - fit nicely, besides for being comfortable.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

trixx

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:21 pm
sandwitched wrote:
I was looking for a shabbos skirt so I walked into a frum store, and this sales lady looks down her nose (up her nose, I was way taller than her) and says, meh I dont think we have anything in her size.

I mean, seriously? I am a size 14-16!!! That's not huge! Half the city is this size! Where are we supposed to shop exactly? If the store only caters to skinny people then it should call itself petite boutique or whatever. Like fat Albert rightfully calls itself by name (don't know if it's mamish for plus sizes but you get my drift) . don't appear as a regular store when half the city cannot shop there. I left the store so angry!

phat albert is actually a huge cheap bazaar like everything store.

OP a lot of the frum stores sell frum clothing designed by these new brands started by young women (who are not actually designers) and made in China. so everything is just completely off.

we had a similar thread recently, unless it was by you too: don't let the label define your self esteem. the disparity in sizing is so laughable that you can't let it get to you.

amother
White

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:24 pm
I am small...now about a 2. Before my kids I was a 00-2, depending on brand. Just the way Hashem made me.
I found that it varies from brand to brand.
Kiki riki shells were always too tight on me!
And at the same time I could never find skirts- I found the 0-2 skirts were really a 4. So some stores had vanity sizing and some were unnaturally small.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:41 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Lol petite boutique.

Its a problem in some places. Some I think are catering to teens.

I love love the Wear and Flair skirts - fit nicely, besides for being comfortable.

Where do you get them?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:51 pm
amother wrote:
I recently lost a lot of weight - almost 90 pounds and I am so happy and proud that I can finally go to normal stores, not plus-sized. I'm now about a size 10/12, in regular skirts.

I've been having trouble finding a denim skirt that I liked, so I went to the local frum shop and tried on different skirts. The only one I liked, was an XL and it was extremely tight. Now, if I go to the mall, I'm a size medium. Why am I barely an XL?

Why do frum companies want frum women to feel bad about themselves? Why are they perpetuating the eating disorders in the community?

It really makes me furious. Exploding anger

Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing! But the truth is that a size 10-12 is a large or XL in a regular store too.

Simple1

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:14 pm
amother wrote:
Where do you get them?

Heads of Class Lakewood.

Last edited by Simple1 on Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:16 pm
I believe large is usually 12-14
xs- 0-2
small 4-6
medium 8-10

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:24 pm
amother wrote:
...But the truth is that a size 10-12 is a large or XL in a regular store too.

I shop in regular stores and wear a 16 or XL.

OP- your weight loss is amazing!

MrsDash

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:00 pm
Size has become relative. There used to be a universal size standard, but now you can slap on any size you want.

Look - the sizing is all over the place!

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:06 pm
I'm a size zero and I find Jewish clothing are ridiculously tight too! I once had to get like a size large... I weigh 100 pounds. Who the heck is getting the small?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:20 pm
MrsDash wrote:
Size has become relative. There used to be a universal size standard, but now you can slap on any size you want.

Look - the sizing is all over the place!

And just because that's what they wrote doesn't mean you fit into that size when you actually try on their clothes.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:52 pm
amother wrote:
Congrats on your weight loss! That's amazing! But the truth is that a size 10-12 is a large or XL in a regular store too.

No it's not. A medium is an 8-10 and a large is a 12-14.

And, if I fit into medium or a 10 in every other store - think jcrew, macys, loft,target, everywhere, and only the frum store I'm in an XL and it's extremely tight, which one is different? To be fair, there were a lot of skirts that I fit into and were even large. Like, I tried on mediums that fit and larges that were too big. But I've found frum stores to be notoriously small.

But maybe it's also as someone else said, just bad tailoring. Also, I've found Israeli sizes to be very small.

FranticFrummie

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:07 pm
These frum stores buy everything from China. Chinese designers design for Chinese bodies, which are a pretty small percentage of American body types. Unless you are built like a Chinese person, you're better off looking for designers from Western countries that represent your body shape. Nobody in China is designing clothing for me.

I found that European designers fit me perfectly, mainly due to my size 12 body with curvy hips. Give me an EU size 44, and I can guarantee that it will be exactly right. I've had really good luck with a UK size 14, as well. With these standards, I can order things online and I KNOW that they will fit.

I'm not mad about thin people or Asian people, I'm just mad that there are no size ranges or standards that reflect the variety of women in the world.

Fox

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:30 pm
My experiences reflect everyone who says sizes are all over the place no matter where you go.

I am not, ahem, a slender woman. Usually I buy a 2X or a 1X in a forgiving style. I recently ordered a skirt in a very straight style. Since I didn't want to traumatize anyone by wearing it skin-tight, I ordered a 3X, figuring I'd have a bit of room.

When it arrived, it was obviously way, way too small. I gave it to my DD, who typically wears a 6-8. It fit perfectly. I thought they might have simply sent the wrong size, but the tag said "3X" -- so who knows?!

I think I'll just order a supply of tags that say "Size 2" and sew them into everything. If anyone asks, I'll look them in the eye and say, "I wear a Size 2" just to see their reaction.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics