Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
How do you keep children busy before a chasuna?

nacs

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:27 am
Im marrying off my first child and I'm wondering with all the lag time between hair, makeup and pictures at the hall- how do you keep the younger children busy and occupied?
Any tips?

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:31 am
Personally I think that there is just so much going on around them that they dont really need much to keep them occupied.
How old are we talking?

Iymnok

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:45 am
For my brother's wedding we gave them disposable bibs and pizza just before their normal dinner time. That worked out to be between pictures. They were well behaved for the chuppah.
It's worth hiring a babysitter to be an extra hand and eyes for you.

nicole81

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:46 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Personally I think that there is just so much going on around them that they dont really need much to keep them occupied.
How old are we talking?

Agreed. When I married dh, we had 4 kids ages 4-9 at the time. Weddings are busy and exciting, and wedding halls offer new places to explore. They really didn't need to be kept occupied by us at all.

Last edited by nicole81 on Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cobalt

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:00 am
I took along color wonder markers and coloring books and the kids loved it. It was great, even if they by mistake colored on themselves they didnt get colored up

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:18 am
When I was a teen I worked as a mother's helper for a couple of such occasions. I've seen families hire babysitters to help keep track of little kids so the mom doesn't have to spend the whole wedding dealing with their issues. It's not just keeping them entertained - you don't need your 7-year-old coming to cry that a flower fell out of her hair while you're greeting your guests, or your 5-year-old crying that his ketchup touched his french fry, or whatever. Everyone I know who did this said it was so worth it.

doctorima

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:03 am
Agreed that with all the cost of a wedding, it's worth adding a few dollars to the budget to hire a babysitter to come entertain them and keep them busy and out of trouble for a few hours. Even if you're not a big fan of electronics, it may be worth it to bring a tablet with some kids game on it, or even a DVD player with some Disney movies to keep them distracted and happy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:48 pm
Get a package of 500 plastic cups and build pyramids/towers/whatever. No real mess and you don't have to worry about losing pieces.

By my sister's wedding, the kids decorated a mazel tov poster for her with stickers and markers for those old enough to do neatly. That worked well.

The winkie lolly things work well for bribes to participate in pictures, and make sure to have food to eat prior to the shmorg, even any mezonos if not a full meal.

Mazel tov Very Happy

sourstix

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:36 pm
I love this thread. I hope to get there. I"yh

mom2be1

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:57 pm
Vanilla rugelach are a good thing like someone mentioned mezonos it's neat and yummy. Stickers are fun and keep them busy( like the dot stickers used to label clothing).

animeme

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:41 pm
Another vote for a babysitter. The sitter was most useful for us during the dancing, since we obviously wanted to be inside dancing, but after the first five minutes, several of the kids were done with the noise and crowds.

Activities we had for them included color wonder, new books, and a box of jenga blocks.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 8:17 am
In monsey there's actually a "gemach" they help u for free (I think for an hr)any time before the wedding...... nope I don't have any info

rachel6543

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:00 am
My grandma made goodie bags for the kids for my wedding. There were 4 little girls ages 4-6 at my wedding. She went to the dollar store and made little bags that had crayons, coloring books... etc. the kids were so excited and it helped keep them busy.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics