Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Real dishes or disposable
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Do you use real or disposable dishes during the week
mostly real - I have a dishwasher  
 25%  [ 58 ]
mostly real - I dont have a dishwasher  
 22%  [ 53 ]
mostly disposable - I have a dishwasher  
 20%  [ 48 ]
mostly disposable - I dont have a dishwasher  
 31%  [ 73 ]
Total Votes : 232

esuss

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:20 pm
If I didn't have a dishwasher I would use disposable all the time. A dishwasher saves money - disposables and is also cheaper than hand washing dishes. I also find that children eat better with real dishes. But I wouldn't hands wash for that reason

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:27 pm
I use mostly disposables. For dh I give real and on shabbos for adults and older kids real.

Maya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 3:34 pm
Mostly real. I have a fleishig dishwasher.

I try to be as green as possible. I've recently bought lots of ceramic baking dishes to eliminate foil pans as much as I can.

amother
Bronze

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:04 pm
Raisin wrote:
No disrespect, but a friend was visiting us and describing his job working for some celebrity. (an actor, maybe) One of his jobs was buying dozens and dozens of an expensive pair of shoes. The actor would wear the shoes for a day, and then throw them out. I'm guessing he felt the same way about shoes worn once as you feel about plates that were used.

I rarely use disposables. A few reasons. 1. They are very expensive and hard to find where I live. 2. We pay for our garbage and it only gets picked up every 2 weeks. If we are too full we have nowhere to put it and foxes open the bags if they don't fit in the bin. 2. not so great enviromentally. 3. bh we have 2 dishwashers.

I do use them for shabbos meals when I am hosting a ton of people. I tend to use them for shabbos dessert as well. I also use foil pans for cooking and freezing things pre yom tov. For a regular shabbos I don't really need them - I use real pyrex. If I make a huge batch of kugel I will bake some in foil pans - I've had bad experiences freezing pyrex.

My pet peeve is people who use a brand new foil pan for every single challah they make. Completely unnecessary imo. Challah hardly messes up pans if you use baking paper.

I learned that if you use a disposable tin more than once, it should have been toiveled. For that reason I never re-use tins. (Where I live they cost between $.10-.50 cents per tin, depending on the size.)

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:07 pm
amother wrote:
I learned that if you use a disposable tin more than once, it should have been toiveled. For that reason I never re-use tins. (Where I live they cost between $.10-.50 cents per tin, depending on the size.)

If you use parchment paper you don't need to tovel. Also, in my local grocer they sell them with a hecsher that it was made by jews so doesn't require toveling.

cm

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 4:44 pm
Generally real, even when we had lots of guests and no dishwasher.

Disposables are good for big parties (especially if the birthday child wants a "theme") and the occasional picnic when traveling.

It never occurred to me to use disposables on a regular basis - I simply have no experience of anyone doing this in my upbringing, and have met only a few as an adult.

I tried using disposables for one Pesach but was appalled at the amount of trash produced.

Hand washing before we got the dishwasher was time consuming after Shabbat, but we got into a routine to get it done. I didn't have children old enough to help in those days, but as with all household chores, I encourage Moms to share responsibility with all capable people who live in the house.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 6:52 pm
yksraya wrote:
If you use parchment paper you don't need to tovel. Also, in my local grocer they sell them with a hecsher that it was made by jews so doesn't require toveling.

Please CYLOR about this. I learned this is halachically inaccurate -- since the kli itself is the pan, it doesn't matter what is lining it, it's the pan itself that is being used to bake. Many people make this mistake.

(But one can buy real and re-use without washing with parchment paper for not much money Wink )

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 7:13 pm
I use loads of disposables, including challah pans, but my FIL is in the business and we get them for free (lucky lucky us!). If I was paying for them, I wouldn't use nearly as much as I do. For fleishigs during the week I generally use real because they go in the dishwasher; on Shabbos and YT I use real unless having a lot of guests, in which case I use the fancy disposables from FIL Very Happy I know, I'm spoiled. It will be a big adjustment when he retires!

And I hate hate hate washing dishes so it comes in very handy. There's still plenty to wash - milchig dishes, pots, pans, baking stuff.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 8:54 pm
So, we often use disposable for breakfast (paper bowls & plastic spoons), Im not a morning person & don't have time in the morning to wash dishes. And I often use disposable coffee cups to take coffee in the car on my drive to work.

But for all the other meals, I almost always use real dishes. Including lunches for school and work for family members. We're trying to use less zip lock bags too and use reusable plastic containers as much as possible.

I have one dishwasher (meat) and I actually use it almost daily. Almost all the baking I do is non-dairy, that way I can wash those dishes in my dishwasher. Plus I usually tend to pack parve lunches, so all my dishes from my lunch at work go straight into the dishwasher when I get home.

If I didn't have a dishwasher I would definely use disposable more often.

However I'm pregnant now and I think we'll most likely start using more disposable for the next few months, esp for the first several weeks after baby is born.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 9:03 pm
I use disposables more than I feel I should. (I have 3 sinks and 2 dishwashers bh) I tend to use them a lot during the week and sometimes on shabbos as well. I don't use fancy ones. I grew up without disposables at all so I love them. (My mother bought service for 90 for my sheva brochos rather than use disposable)
I find it hard to wash and keep a house clean and right now I have no cleaning help....sometimes I use more than others but I have decided to let that part of my life be as easy as can be.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:10 pm
I'm a single mother of two children. No dishwasher and no cleaning help. On the rare occasion we are home for shabbos I use all real dishes and silverware. During the week I try to use real as much as I can, but if I have a lot going on on a particular day and won't have time to wash dishes or if I am feeling very stressed, I use disposable plates/bowls, but usually still real silverware. We use disposable for lunches we take to work/school, and I do use foil pans a lot rather than real bakeware.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:40 pm
For those who wrote that they give their husband real and everyone else gets disposable, can I ask why? Why only him?

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 07 2016, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
Do you use real or disposable dishes on Shabbos, during the week, how many kids do you have living at home and do you have a dishwasher.

I work full time and have three kids the oldest will be four soon. I dont have a dishwasher. On Shabbos I use paper dishes and real silverware. During the week its always disposable dishes and cutlery besides for chicken on the bone - than I use real cutlery. I just restocked my paper goods yesterday and man it was expensive!!!!! You cant put a price on sanity though Smile

2 kids.
I have service for 8 each of dairy and meat, plus some extra reusable plastic bowls for kids.
I use mostly the reusable for dinners but I don't get around to washing them promptly, what I do is I use the reusables and then revert to plastic if I run out of them. I also use plastic if I'm feeling especially behind in housework and don't want the dishes piling up at all (usually doesn't bother me to just have a dishpan of waiting dishes in a corner of the kitchen for a few days. Really.)

Breakfast is a wild card, sometimes reusable and sometimes disposable.

I buy my disposables cheap and don't feel that it's a big enough dent in my budget, even at times when I'm using them daily due to personal overwhelm. I pick them up when I'm in Brooklyn and try to stock up when they're on sale which is usually about $2.50 for 100 bowls or plates, 99c for 100 cups, and maybe 2.99 for the big boxes of I think 400 spoons and forks which last a long time. So that's what, about $10 a month on a fairly lazy month? Time-wise, definitely worth it.

I just like the feel of using real dishes and to me that's worth letting them sit around until I'm ready and then spending about a half hour to an hour a week washing them. What I really hate washing is pots and pans. Dishes are so easy to stack and wash quickly and just stack in the drying rack and let them drip dry. Pots and pans are annoying and there's a limit to what you can cook in disposables Sad

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:31 am
I have three kids Knh I use mainly real dishes. I put in the pole mainly have a dishwasher buy that being said I rarely use the dishwasher during the week it is mostly unused from motzei shbs to motzei shbs.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 12:40 am
7 kids (2 of them not always home).
No dishwasher.
Always real dishes.
It is so unfriendly to the environment, and very expensive, to use disposables.
My kids sometimes wash the dishes if I ask them, otherwise me or my DH.

Raisin

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 1:42 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Please CYLOR about this. I learned this is halachically inaccurate -- since the kli itself is the pan, it doesn't matter what is lining it, it's the pan itself that is being used to bake. Many people make this mistake.

(But one can buy real and re-use without washing with parchment paper for not much money Wink )

Plus if you reuse disposable foil pans they get really gross.

amother
Plum

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 3:53 am
I see that nobody has written, "Disposable all the time, because they don't break when they hit the ground and hurt less when they get thrown at people." Also, for most people, washing dishes involves facing away from your kids, wish I couldn't afford to do for more than a minute or so. Those were fun years.

At this point, we use real plastic bowls and hard plastic cups, but we originally had corelle weekday plates and most broke (see above) and we never replaced them. On Shabbos we use real at night and nice plastic during the day, because my rule is not to have to wash dishes on Shabbos.

I'm curious: if those who use real and whose dh's do a lot of the washing lost that contribution, would the answer change?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 5:02 am
2 children ka``H and almost always real dishes (unless we have a picknick, ...)

after my operation last year it took me several weeks to recover- during that time we served dinner on plastic. but during tha time many things were strange in our house Sad

we have a dishwasher but during the week we mainly wash by hand, we use it mozzey shabbos.

we use real dishes mainly, because cheap plastic doesnt 'feel' nice and also imho it is environmentally unfriendly.

washing up a pot 8 plates and 4 cups and some cutlery takes about 10 minutes. I turn on some music and let the little ones dance in the meantime.

in the worst case we wash up after they sleep- no im not super organised and my sink is not flylady-sparkly-clean Sad

I understand that when 9 ppl have three meals / day at home that it can make dishwashing very hard. I stil lthink a dishwasher would be the better option compared to plastic...

it may also be a cultural thing...where we live it is hard to get hold of plastic and people dont use it frequently. I noticed when I was visiting the states many families served on plastic and almost every kitchen I saw had plastic dishes in the cupboards...

I was so shocked by teenagers coming to the kitchen serving themselves juice or milk in disposable cups, drinking and discarding immediately. an hour later the same kid returned to the kitchen took the next disposable cup and had another drink... seriously?????

even my 3 year old knows how to take a 'real' cup (glass or nondisposable plastic) and take a drink and rinse it.

suzyq

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:03 am
We have one dishwasher and it's fleishig. We only really eat fleishigs on Shabbos, so the rest of the week we use disposables. It's not really that much though - we go through 100 plates every month or so and I probably buy plastic silverware also about once a month.

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:31 am
We use mostly plastic dishes. No dishwasher and I work. Iyh I hope to have a milchig and fleishig dishwasher in the future and switch to using zero disposables. I feel terrible for my part in filling up landfills with plastic.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics