Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
A window of opportunity to daven- is it for anyone?

life is fun

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:18 pm
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....email

I received this link and am wondering if it's only for people who donate.
Can't anyone daven for 9 minutes on the 9th of kids in the 9th hour.....?

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:22 pm
Kupat Ha'ir has a great marketing department and is full of baloney.

devash1

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 2:32 pm
My husband didn't mention any tzedakah organization but he did mention it's a good time to daven.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:39 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

I'm told by a friend who lives in Bnei Brak that KH does good work. HOWEVER their marketing tactics are offensive and downright deceitful. I know for a fact that they lie about situations, because they had an article about someone I happen to know and made claims that were 100% false (e.g. the person had no family when they had a very fine family with whom they had a good relationship. e.g the person's parents were in health too poor to be told about their child's condition when the parents were in fact hale and hearty and 100% aware of their child's situation. And so on.)

Equally offensive to me is the whole idea of "pay for pray". We're selling tefillos now? And not only that, but for a specific sum. ONLY THOSE WHO GIVE $144 will be prayed for. I guess if you don't have $144 to spare, you don't deserve yeshuos. Or maybe you can go to the cut-rate yeshuos machine down the block and hope it's in working order.

Some centuries ago, the Protestant reformation was ignited by people's disgust with the Catholic Church's selling indulgences. KH's practice of selling yeshuos is not much more honorable.

KH may do good work but it's definitely mitzvah habaah beaverah. And I have to wonder, if they have no qualms about fabricating stories, what else might they be stooping to? Why would an ehrlich tzedaka feel the need to lie? Straight unvarnished poverty isn't terrible enough?

Moichel toives, let them keep their phoney yeshuos. My money goes to tzedakas that tell it like it is and make their appeal not to my greed (think sickeningly lavish chinese auctions) or my belief in the supernatural but to my menschlichkeit, kindness, sense of community responsibility and desire to fulfill a mitzvah. And, thank you very much, but if I want someone to daven for me, I will ask people who know me and will actually care about whom and what they're davening for, whether they're getting paid for it or not.

If it is truly an eis ratzon for tefillos, then the thing to do is to daven for yourself and give your money to a tzedaka that has meaning to you. There is no way on this good earth that an "eis ratzon" if there is such a thing is only for certain people who donate a certain sum of money to a certain organization. Catholicism we are not, B"H.

amother
Mint

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:46 pm
gp2.0 wrote:

This. They do good work but their marketing tactics are like the miracle cure junk mail which target the desperate that are easily exploited.

besty

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 4:54 pm
when is the ninth hour anyways? they count from marriv or what?

I heard its a hour that anyone could daven

life is fun

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 6:56 pm
besty wrote:
when is the ninth hour anyways? they count from marriv or what?

I heard its a hour that anyone could daven

Yes when is it exactly? I would love to know.

life is fun

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:00 pm
It's interesting to hear the responses.

I have a friend who didn't have children for many years. She used to tell me that it's not enough to have the pain of having tzoros already. And now people are trying to make money out of our unfortunate situations on top of it.

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:26 pm
Basically sums up my thoughts on this topic:
http://www.rationalistjudaism.......html

MitzadSheini

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 7:41 pm
What is the source for this 9th hour thing anyway? (To whoever asked, I assume you go sunrise - sunset , divide by 12 to get an halachic hour (or find the current halachic hour length for your city on a website) work it out that way. So on a 6am 6pm day it will be 2-3 pm. It's much later for a longer day, so presumably earlier for a shorter day.)

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 8:11 pm
The link I posted above traces the source IIRC

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 8:26 am
This is what DH wrote/said.
Rav Chaim Vital, in the introduction to his work Eitz Hachaim, writes
"...the ninth year of yovel arrives and in it the ninth month and in it the ninth day and in it the ninth hour- whereupon all the wheels in the upper worlds are agitated and 'Your good treasure house upon us does open' is fulfilled.

The author of Bris Menucha also says "It is a pipeline of abundance"

You don't need KH to pray.

It is a good idea to give a few coins to tzedaka in order to arouse mercy in Shamayim.

Tzedaka always saves.

life is fun

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:25 am
I hope all our tefillos will be answered for the good!!

Gut shabbos

pause

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 9:00 am
amother wrote:
This is what DH wrote/said.
Rav Chaim Vital, in the introduction to his work Eitz Hachaim, writes
"...the ninth year of yovel arrives and in it the ninth month and in it the ninth day and in it the ninth hour- whereupon all the wheels in the upper worlds are agitated and 'Your good treasure house upon us does open' is fulfilled.

The author of Bris Menucha also says "It is a pipeline of abundance"

You don't need KH to pray.

It is a good idea to give a few coins to tzedaka in order to arouse mercy in Shamayim.

Tzedaka always saves.

Do we know these days when is the ninth year of yovel?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics