Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
And now you have the rest of the story.
1  2  Next

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 10:51 pm
At the time, a male was seen exiting a car and walking up to the Bais Yaakov D’Rav Meir School building located on Parkville Avenue in the Kensington section of Brooklyn.

As can be seen in the attached security camera footage, the individual took multiple photos of the building from various angles. He is then seen getting back into his vehicle, and driving away.

Thanks to an alert security guard employed by the school who noticed the individual as he was taking the photos, he immediately “panned the camera” – following every movement of the individual as it took place.

Police were notified, and photos and videos of the individual were publicized by YWN.

Detectives from the NYPD’s 70 Precinct as well as NYPD INTEL Division spent a month tracking down the Hispanic male, who turned out to be nothing more than an insurance adjuster.

Although many will question why the man came and left so quickly – seemingly very suspicious – it has been confirmed that the man visits sometimes as many as FIFTY locations each day.

Deputy Inspector James Palumbo who is the Commanding Officer of the 70 Precinct told YWN that he was grateful that this incident was thoroughly investigated by the INTEL Division, Counter-Terrorism, as well as the 70 Detective Squad.

“Just before the Holiday season begins, this news should come as a relief to the community, Palumbo said.

“People should continue to remain vigilant, and please remember to always be alert – and if you see something call 911 immediately”.
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....ments

gp2.0

Post Thu, Dec 08 2016, 11:13 pm
Wow!!!!!

Coffee Addict

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:53 am
Interesting!!

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 6:47 am
Why "wow"? 99.9% of the time, people are just doing their jobs, minding their own business.

Of course you should report anything that seems off, but don't automatically assume that things are "creepy" and "terrifying". Don't jump to conclusions, just let the authorities do their jobs.

Living in a constant case of "worst case thinking" is extremely unhealthy, and exactly what terrorists want. It ruins your quality of life, makes your children anxious, and colors everything you encounter.

Just because someone is a "scary brown man", is not enough of a reason for nationwide panic.

shoshanim999

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 6:57 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
At the time, a male was seen exiting a car and walking up to the Bais Yaakov D’Rav Meir School building located on Parkville Avenue in the Kensington section of Brooklyn.

As can be seen in the attached security camera footage, the individual took multiple photos of the building from various angles. He is then seen getting back into his vehicle, and driving away.

Thanks to an alert security guard employed by the school who noticed the individual as he was taking the photos, he immediately “panned the camera” – following every movement of the individual as it took place.

Police were notified, and photos and videos of the individual were publicized by YWN.

Detectives from the NYPD’s 70 Precinct as well as NYPD INTEL Division spent a month tracking down the Hispanic male, who turned out to be nothing more than an insurance adjuster.

Although many will question why the man came and left so quickly – seemingly very suspicious – it has been confirmed that the man visits sometimes as many as FIFTY locations each day.

Deputy Inspector James Palumbo who is the Commanding Officer of the 70 Precinct told YWN that he was grateful that this incident was thoroughly investigated by the INTEL Division, Counter-Terrorism, as well as the 70 Detective Squad.

“Just before the Holiday season begins, this news should come as a relief to the community, Palumbo said.

“People should continue to remain vigilant, and please remember to always be alert – and if you see something call 911 immediately”.
http://www.theyeshivaworld.com.....ments

Are you suggesting that people not be concerned when they so random people talking pictures and then quickly driving off? Sure, usually it's nothing to worry about, but whats your point? If someone sees a knapsack unattended in an airport and security carefully gets to it and opens it and finds its empty. Now what? Next time don't report it?

sourstix

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 8:05 am
Shoshanim, your right we live in a crazy world. We should act as kabdiehu vechashdaihu. Respect but be inquisitive. Be calm and report things. Don't shrug it off as nothing but remember there's a chance it's ordinary. You can't allow panic to rule.

yksraya

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:36 am
See something say something! it was totally suspicious especially after the other story where a muslim woman took pics outside a yeshiva. Wonder what that story's ending is.

egam

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:39 am
And if he would take a minute to stop by security to introduce himself and showed his ID and let them know he's going to take few pictures for insurance purposes, none of this would happen.
And school administration wasn't aware that insurance company is going to send an adjuster?

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:50 am
I doubt very much the insurance inspector thought he was doing anything suspicious so why would he do anything he doesn't do normally at any other location.

Where would it stop in terms of someone having to presume people are paranoid.

It's one thing to report but it's another thing to say that the inspector was somehow at fault for not anticipating that his innocent actions would be viewed suspiciously.

I assumed that it was going to have a terrible ending like a person shot the inspector because they thought he was in the wrong.

In this case the system worked - the cameras tracked him down and he turned out to be doing what he should be.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 9:56 am
egam wrote:
And if he would take a minute to stop by security to introduce himself and showed his ID and let them know he's going to take few pictures for insurance purposes, none of this would happen.
And school administration wasn't aware that insurance company is going to send an adjuster?

The school really should have been made aware of his presence. B"H it turned out to be nothing and B"H police took this matter seriously and investigated, but so much work and worry could have been so easily avoided in this case.

sourstix

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:16 am
Yes to the poster who said we get. Paranoid easily. That's true. We live in a crazy world. I'm sure that if insurance came to your house for pictures you tell them to let you know when the're coming. It's normal for them to ring the bell and say" hi, I'm from insurance we need some picture to assess the propert' . It's not normal to take pictures without letting the owner know. There's an appropriate way of doing things, and ontop of that we live in a crazy world.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:23 am
sourstix wrote:
Yes to the poster who said we get. Paranoid easily. That's true. We live in a crazy world. I'm sure that if insurance came to your house for pictures you tell them to let you know when the're coming. It's normal for them to ring the bell and say" hi, I'm from insurance we need some picture to assess the propert' . It's not normal to take pictures without letting the owner know. There's an appropriate way of doing things, and ontop of that we live in a crazy world.

It is not normal or appropriate to think that someone innocently doing their job - or taking pictures - should have to explain themselves to anyone else.

I don't think it would enter most people's mind that people might think what I (as an inspector) am doing might cause people to worry so that I need to track down someone and explain what I am doing.

Where would it stop in terms of a person having to assume that everyone else views people with suspicion. It is not the inspector's job to know what is in paranoid people's head.

Why not just ask the guy in a friendly way why he is taking pictures. I would assume if it was done in a NON CONFRONTATIONAL NON THREATENING way, he would just smile and say it was for insurance.

And to take it further what if a person is so paranoid that they don't believe it's for insurance purposes. Does the inspector need to present credentials?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:27 am
If you see something, say something. It's a school we're talking about. It's an achrayis.
I came out one morning and saw a guy starting to snap pictures of my house. I confronted him and he said he was an insurance guy. They should really give you a heads up before coming.

tigerwife

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
Why "wow"? 99.9% of the time, people are just doing their jobs, minding their own business.

Of course you should report anything that seems off, but don't automatically assume that things are "creepy" and "terrifying". Don't jump to conclusions, just let the authorities do their jobs.

Living in a constant case of "worst case thinking" is extremely unhealthy, and exactly what terrorists want. It ruins your quality of life, makes your children anxious, and colors everything you encounter.

Just because someone is a "scary brown man", is not enough of a reason for nationwide panic.

I disagree. I saw the original video and yes, the behavior looked highly suspicious- never mind the gender or color of the person in question. I'm glad the authorities took the time to investigate, and I am even happier that it turned out to be innocent behavior.

I am not generally a paranoid person, but when you see something off like this, there is no harm in reporting it. Hopefully you will be proved wrong.

And when it comes to our schools full of innocent children (And no, not just Jewish schools!)- Constant vigilance.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:30 am
One last time.

People on this thread seem to be blaming the inspector for doing his job the way he always does his job and not anticipating that other people will be paranoid.

That is different than someone seeing something that might be suspicious and taking reasonable action either by asking the person what they are doing (in a friendly manner) or taking down information to be reported.

I don't go around in my life assuming that other people are going to assume I am about to do something terrible. So it's a school. He photographs schools, temples, churches - all kinds of places serving all kinds of people. It is not his job to anticipate every possible paranoid thought of every bystander.

yksraya

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:37 am
Amarante wrote:
One last time.

People on this thread seem to be blaming the inspector for doing his job the way he always does his job and not anticipating that other people will be paranoid.

That is different than someone seeing something that might be suspicious and taking reasonable action either by asking the person what they are doing (in a friendly manner) or taking down information to be reported.

I don't go around in my life assuming that other people are going to assume I am about to do something terrible. So it's a school. He photographs schools, temples, churches - all kinds of places serving all kinds of people. It is not his job to anticipate every possible paranoid thought of every bystander.

After stories like 9/11, mumbai, school in france and more, it is only normal to get alarmed when you see someone photographing a school building. Especially that the guy was dark skinned and seamed like muslim, and it was only a short time after the muslim lady took pics of a yeshiva. It's not his fault he was suspected, but would've been a wise choice for him to introduce himself before doing his job.

Fox

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:06 am
Everybody's right.

The insurance adjuster doesn't have time to locate and preemtively introduce himself to someone in authority in every business, school, or bodega in the vicinity.

And people are correct to be concerned.

Organizations such as insurance companies should probably follow the lead of utilities: when criminals began posing as utility workers, the utility companies mounted a huge effort to make sure their employees wore their IDs prominently.

More important, they ran public relations campaigns to explain how to verify a worker's legitimacy. They also trained their employees to volunteer information when asked and not to take offense when someone asked questions or called to verify their identities.

Of course, it's not a perfect system. Anyone with a laminating machine can produce a convincing ID, and far too many of us wouldn't ask questions if we saw someone with an official-looking tag around his neck doing something that would otherwise be suspicious. I'm sure there are also situations where insurance adjusters need to maintain some anonymity, such as cases of suspected fraud.

But even if it isn't a perfect solution, I do believe that it would change the game somewhat for people like the insurance adjuster wear visible IDs and make themselves approachable to anyone concerned with their actions.

princessleah

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:48 pm
I'm more disturbed that law enforcement, with all the tools and technology at their disposal, took A MONTH to identify the guy!

tigerwife

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:57 pm
Amarante, I don't see anyone blaming the inspector for doing his job. It's just that most people don't see an inspection as the first possible motive for a stranger photographing a building at various angles. Wouldn't you be wary of a stranger taking unsolicited pictures of your property? Of course, now it seems obvious, but rather safe than sorry.

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 1:09 pm
tigerwife wrote:
Amarante, I don't see anyone blaming the inspector for doing his job. It's just that most people don't see an inspection as the first possible motive for a stranger photographing a building at various angles. Wouldn't you be wary of a stranger taking unsolicited pictures of your property? Of course, now it seems obvious, but rather safe than sorry.

Perhaps blame was the wrong choice of word.

What I was trying to express was there seemed to be a sentiment that the inspector should have anticipated that people might be afraid of his performing his normal functions and therefore he should have done it differently by proactively approaching someone and saying what he was doing.

My point is that he had no reason to assume that anyone was upset by his normal operating procedures and it would be impossible to ask someone to assume that since there are many places that are "sensitive" to someone, they he might visit in the normal course of work.

Similarly, I would have no problems with someone seeing anything or anyone suspicious and taking reasonable measures - either by reporting to authorities or tactfully approaching the person and asking why he was taking pictures of the school or mosque or church or whatever.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics