Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Why doesnt Hikind want Ocean Parkway traffic changes?

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 10:28 am
Wouldnt the changes that were suggested, make the area safer, not less safe?

The way I understand it, having to go to the service road on Avenue I in order to make your turn from Ocean Parkway onto Avenue J, and similar for the 3 other busiest Avenues on Ocean Parkway, would make the busiest and most dangerous intersection, LESS dangerous and less busy, not more dangerous.

http://www.theyeshivaworld.com......html

leah233

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:06 am
I'm no traffic expert but it seems to me that the more turns against oncoming traffic you are requiring people to make the greater of a risk potential for crashes that you have.

Therefore it seems to me that requiring two turns instead of one off Ocean Parkway is a bad idea

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:40 am
If its all cons, why would the changes have been proposed? Has to be of some benefit.

I know lots of people who do anything to avoid driving past Ocean Pkway and Avenue J, because theyve been caught in the center when a light changed, because its so crazy congested/busy.

dimyona

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:48 am
I live in that area, and while there are definitely prime times for congestion when school buses are out, I don't see how this would help.

The service roads are so narrow, and requiring all of the large vehicles to turn into there would add a much more severe bottleneck, even if it's a block down.

In addition, any double parked car, even a quick drop off or delivery on the service road will essentially stop traffic for all right turns.

This sounds like a nightmare to me, and I hope it doesn't happen.

Mevater

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 11:51 am
dimyona wrote:

In addition, any double parked car, even a quick drop off or delivery on the service road will essentially stop traffic for all right turns.

Thats a good point!

Why is the change being proposed? What are the benefits?

dimyona

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:22 pm
I found this article which had more detail on this project.

http://ditmasparkcorner.com/bl.....tion/

Re the safety concerns, this seems to be triggered by an accident in 2013 at the Church Ave intersection. I don't think the traffic patters at the Ave J area are at all similar; Church Ave is extremely busy and confusing, especially with the ramps both on and off the Prospect Expressway going straight into street traffic.

And I'm not sure I understand the concerns about pedestrians. The walking/bike lanes at the center of Ocean parkway are in great shape, and I haven't heard of any incidents there.

cnc

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:59 pm
Mevater wrote:
If its all cons, why would the changes have been proposed? Has to be of some benefit.

I know lots of people who do anything to avoid driving past Ocean Pkway and Avenue J, because theyve been caught in the center when a light changed, because its so crazy congested/busy.

Changes are sometimes proposed when people determine things based on maps and pictures without actually taking into account foot traffic and car traffic.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries