Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Grocery Store Trying to Cheat us?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 12:41 pm
Don't tar all supermarkets with one brush.

The kosher supermarkets in the 5 Towns have prices clearly marked not only by unit but by cost per pound. Sales are clearly marked and usually give the nonsale price as well so you can see how much you are saving.

debsey

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 1:40 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I saw a huge improvement in the freshness of CY milk

In Lakewood, I've seen improvements recently, especially because stores know we can vote with our feet.

The store sourstix mentioned - the one with three locations - is the one where I don't shop anymore, unless I happen to be passing and it's super-convenient to go in there (almost never, in other words) I have so many other options of stores where the food is fresher!

If I was completely an "economy" consumer, I might still go there, because the prices are the best, but I'd have to take the time to inspect every single can, and I might even open some packages of cheese in the parking lot to make sure it's all fresh.

I happen to be more of a "convenience" consumer, which is why I find myself in Seasons more often than not, even though their prices are not competitive (to say the least). But, prices are usually clearly marked, and if they're not, they'll send a guy to the shelf to find the one I actually wanted (like if I took whole baby corn but only cut was on sale, the cashier will send someone to exchange my cans for me). I never had a problem just telling them when an item was spoiled - they just credited my account - and navigating the store is a breeze.
BUT prices are high.

I think stores are starting to get scared because of all the competition. CY is not a monopoly in Lakewood anymore!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:50 pm
amother wrote:
Weeks go by where there just isn't any stock of half-and-half and cream. It's no big deal because the things are obviously not necessities. But it's just an example how kosher grocery stores take advantage when they know that they can and they have a monopoly and their shoppers aren't able to go anywhere else for what they need.

I spoke to dairy management there about stock issues and they told me it's not that they don't want it to be stocked, but the distributors aren't sending full orders and requests due to the NY/NJ region being higher on their priority, and then if there is enough, they let Baltimore get some of what they want too. Please don't blame the store for that issue or think it's because they have a monopoly -- they'd love to have more for you to buy!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:06 am
Funny how there are negative comments about our Kosher supermarket here in Baltimore selling CY milk that isnt in perfect shape. I was about to come on here and say how I feel so bad for the OP and other posters complaining about stores in the NY/NJ area, BH we have such a great store! their customer service is amazing. I recently bought a piece of meat. I had requested it to be as lean as possible, but when I got home and opened it up I discovered that it was the fattiest piece I had ever seen. I called to complain, I was told to bring it back for a full refund. When I took it back, the man behind the counter mentioned that they were not able to resell it once it had left the store. I felt so bad that it was being thrown out and said so. He told me 'It's OK, we shoudlnt have sold you that meat in the first place, its our fault.'. That is the kind of experience I have had there in the many years I have lived in Baltimore.
Occasionally in the summer the CY milk is not good for as long as thte date on it says, but TBH there are so many of us in my family BH that we dont often get to that stage, we just drink it up fast while it is still good. No complaints. I love this store, dont want to make any of you jealous.... and they donate so much money to our community institutions and give jobs to adults with issues who wouldnt be able to find work elsewhere. Only thing I dont like is the lack of competition, I hope Seasons will bring hte prices down a bit, if Seasons ever comes....

sourstix

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:20 am
The only answer to lousy service is competition. I realized that as soon as that happened all of sudden things got better.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics