Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
How to make a power point presentation?

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 12:17 pm
I have to do a power point presentation for a course. I am not computer savvy at all.
Anyone know what it even means and how to do it?
I have to basically present an outline of my report.
Thanks.

enter

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 1:40 pm
A powerpoint slide show is basically multiple slides conveying the message you want to convey, in a clear, precise fashion.

I'll tell you with Microsoft Powerpoint 2010. On the Start Menu, find Microsoft - Microsoft PowerPoint.
It opens to a white screen with "Click to add title" and "click to add subtitle" (mine opens to this, yours may open to something similar). This is the first page of your slide show. Your aim is to create a few pages of your slide show, as needed.

Lets say, for example, you're to explain the outline of a report on Healthy Living. So, you will need multiple pages of your slideshow, for example:
Page 1: (Main Title) Healthy Living (Subtitle) I will talk to you about the importance of living healthy and how to achieve that in today's society.
Page 2: (Main Title of First Section) Reasons why it's of Benefit to Live Healthy
Page 3: (Bullet Points of the Reasons)
Page 4: (Main Title of Second Section) Healthy Eating
Page 5: (Summary of what you've included in this section)
Page 6: (Main Title of Third Section) Exercisin
Page 7: ......

To create this, use your content outline of your report.

You should also have a sidebar open with all your slides in small. At the side of the screen Wink

On the Home Section, you have the option of "New Slide". There are different slide layouts to use, so use the "title" ones, ones offering images or more text, as applicable. Mess around and see what the different options are. It's no big deal, you can always change your layout screen - next to the new slide icon, are icons offering you to change the layout of that slide. Additionally, you can just click on the textbox and delete it.

On the Insert Menu, you can bring in images, video, audio or cliparts, shapes, or TextBoxes if you want to change your layout. If you like using WordArt, you can pick a design you like for your title. I prefer to change the font and add effects such as adding a shadow. You'll find that on the home options plus in the design options.

The beauty of Powerpoint is that you can create cute affects and have the whole show run on its own, animated. I would suggest that you first create all your slides and then have a go at the design.

You have a Design option, where you use your background - keep it plain, or have something colourful, as appropriate. If you want just one screen to have a particular background, right click on the image you want to use and click on "apply to selected screen". Default (on mine, at least) is that it will apply to all screens, if you click on it.

Now for the fun - animation Wink . There's 2 things here: 1) Animation of the slides - how one slide will follow the other. 2) Animation of the texts. You don't have to do either, and certainly not each thing.

1) Animation of the Slides. This is called the "Transitions" and you have many options to choose from. *

2) Animation of Texts. As a rule, anything you have not animated, will appear as the slide appears. If you have put animation on it, it will appear to-follow. To animate your text and images, go to the "Animation" Menu. Make sure the text or image is selected (just click it with the mouse and make sure you see little circles at the corner ends of the text, as it's selected.) and go to the "Add Animation" option. Once again, have fun choosing your design! Oftentimes, in professional slideshows, simple is usually best. A simple "appear" can work well, as can some of the others.
Open up the Animation Pane, because it's easy to select multiple affects to one text, by mistake. In the Animation Pane, it will show all affects for the open slide, and by right clicking you get the option of removing. Additionally, *

To run, you can choose if you want the whole show to run on it's own - or, if you have not done that, you will have to keep pressing the space bar for the next piece to appear. (be it a slide, or a part of a slide (text or image).
* To make the slide come in automatically (so that you don't have to keep pressing the space bar) on the transition menu, you have the option, "advance slide - on mouse click" If you uncheck the "on mouse click" than make sure you check the "after" box and change the amount of seconds you need it.
* By right clicking on the Animation in the Animation Pane, you can make it appear automatically, "after previous" rather than "on mouse click". How quick after previous, will be on "timing" under the "after previous" option. By pressing play on the animation pane, you can see how your entire scene will play.

When you're done, go to SlideShow and From Beginning to play the whole thing. Or, (at any point) there's a little icon next at the bottom of the screen, next to option of making your screen bigger or smaller than you can click to do this.

I hope there's no mistakes and all is clear, as I have not checked this over. If you need more help, you can post again, or PM me. Good luck

amother
Tangerine

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 6:21 pm
Wow thanks so much!! Looks good although didn't try it yet...hopefully tomorrow will get it done and I will ask if I have more questions...
Thanks so much for taking the time out!!!

amother
Bisque

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:46 pm
If you have any kids / neices / nephews/ cousins/ grandchildren ask them. It's very basic copmuter work, they'll be able to show you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics