Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
2 year old refuses to take antibiotics

amother
Jade

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 5:49 am
My 2 year old ds has tonsillitis. He refuses to take antibiotics. In the morning I mix it with his yoghurt. He eats the entire thing. When I mix it with a drink, even a sweet drink, he refuses to drink it. The taste is quit strong and doctor said this is the best tasting antibiotics.
When we try to give it with a syringe he spits everything up. We have to hold him down with 2 people. Hand and feet. I feel so bad. He's otherwise a super happy child. Understands everything. Talks nicely. I even prepared him and told him that he must take his medicine in order to feel better and go back to playground.

Could I give him a full yoghurt 4 times a day?

rachel6543

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 5:53 am
I don't think eating yogurt 4 times a day is a big deal. You do what you gotta do to get them to take his meds.

What about switching it up and making yogurt (or ice cream) smoothies, would he like that?

naomi2

Post Fri, Dec 09 2016, 7:04 am
maybe mix it with half a yogurt 4 times a day. in separate cups.

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 12:25 pm
4 yogurts a day for just a week or a week and a half is totally fine, nothing bad will happen because once in his life your son had 4 yogurts a day for a week and a half.

Another suggestion is to ask the doctor if you could give him the medication 2 or 3 times a day instead of 4 (make sure to ask the doctor to adjust the dosage in this case). My doctor usually lets us do 2 times a day for most infections, since my daughter used to refuse liquid medicine (and when we forced her, if we actually got it down, she would throw it back up). Now she's almost 4 and takes medication nicely, so there's still hope for when your son is older.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 12:36 pm
Why would you think giving him yogurt each time would be a bad thing? Or mix it in to less of the yogurt? If that is the ONLY way he will take it, then give it to him, he has to take the medicine or he wont get better.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 5:36 pm
Actually eating yogurt with his antibiotics is actually beneficial.

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 6:11 pm
MagentaYenta wrote:
Actually eating yogurt with his antibiotics is actually beneficial.

Although it is very beneficial to take probiotics to restore good bacteria killed by antibiotics I was advised by my pediatrician it should not be taken simultaneous ...... But that was with culturelle tablets not yogurt so I don't know for sure but would recommend running it by the pediatrician to make sure the medication will be able to work properly to kill off the infection if mixed with yogurt

cozyblanket

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
Although it is very beneficial to take probiotics to restore good bacteria killed by antibiotics I was advised by my pediatrician it should not be taken simultaneous ...... But that was with culturelle tablets not yogurt so I don't know for sure but would recommend running it by the pediatrician to make sure the medication will be able to work properly to kill off the infection if mixed with yogurt

I doubt its a problem.

Can you mix in applesauce (unsweetened or whatever you have) to increase the bulk of the yogurt so you can use half each time but the total volume is the same?

Then you can actually use half a yogurt each time and not a whole... then you are only doing 2 yogurts per day.

A much less healthy option is pudding... if you are desperate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics