Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
How do you say thank you for baby gifts?
1  2  Next

amother
Jade

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:37 pm
Don't know how to insert a poll but I'll give options:
A. Send card
B. Phone call
C. Text msg
D. Wait till next time you meet that person
E. I don't
F. Other

amother
Peach

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:41 pm
I sent cards and oh my goodness the stress it caused me made the gifts almost not worth it. Thankfully I didn't get so many. For meals I called or e-mailed and hoped that that was sufficient.

precious

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:44 pm
Thank you cards for gifts, text messages for meals, except for those that couldn't easily get address or phone number...

yksraya

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:44 pm
I usually got the gifts at the vach nacht/bris and said thank you when recieved it.

At my first sons vach nacht, I recieved lots of gifts from dh's friends. But I wanted to say thank you too, as dh brought it in for me after vach nacht. So I bought cute thank you cards and labeled them ready to mail. I gave it to dh to put stamps and drop it off. A year later, dh relocated his office to our home office, and I see a bag that looks vaguely familiar. As you can guess, the bag with the thank you letters!!!!!!!!!!!

SRB

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 9:55 pm
Phone call or text. I think its more personal and cards can take a lot of time that a mother of a new born usually doesn't have.

cnc

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:05 pm
I write cards. I would find phone calls too time and energy consuming after birth.

cm

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:21 pm
Nowadays, I'm sure text or email is fine, but those options were not as common when my teenager was born. I wrote cards whenever the baby was sleeping (and I was awake). It was a little slower than wedding or bar/bat mitzvah cards because of the time restraints, but the cards themselves only take about a minute each. I would not want to call - too stressful and time-consuming, unless I truly wanted to speak personally with someone.

It is essential to acknowledge gifts that were not placed by the giver directly into your hand so the giver knows that the gift was received. My mother did get a few inquiries from relatives when I fell behind on my thank-you notes...

MommyM

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:30 pm
I sent out thank you cards.

out-of-towner

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:45 pm
Generally email, when I remember embarrassed . If it's from a relative or close friend, I will add a picture, especially if they don't live near us.

DH has an uncle who lives across the world (literally, and I have yet to meet him in my 4 years of marriage) who sends us a gift for each baby, and my newest one is named for his mother. Instead of a more generic thank you, as I might write being that I don't really know him, I wrote how honored I was to be naming my daughter after his mother, and how I hope that she carries on her good qualities. I think that it was much appreciated by him.

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:51 pm
Most people consider anything less than a handwritten card rude even when the giver gives thanks in person at the time of giving the gift. I rather get a handwritten card months later than a text or an email. I rather not get thanks by text or email unless the person is very close to me like immediate family.

If someone has taken the time to shop, wrap, and deliver a gift, then I don't believe a card is too much.

It took be some time to write my cards, but they all got written. I gave myself a quota of two a day.

LittleDucky

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 10:59 pm
I wrote cards out for each gift, even if they were given to me directly. If I got a text or email I might honestly feel a bit miffed like they sent out a copied and paste message (unless they live out of the country... Like when I sent something with a person traveling there, then email is 100% expected! International mail is difficult!!)
While I don't expect a card I do think one should be sent and I do it for birthdays even when the giver gave it to me (or my kids who are too young to write something) directly. They spent all that time shopping, wrapping etc. I don't think it's expected ASAP like for a birthday- mom needs her sleep!!

animeme

Post Sat, Dec 10 2016, 11:54 pm
I do emails or texts for most gifts. But I make them personal, and often with a picture. This way, I can send it whenever I have a minute, wherever I am. When I did cards, there was a lag time of weeks to months (to never...). Any relative of the generation above me gets a phone call.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:01 am
My baby was 4 months old today and I still a haven't done thank u cards. My other 2 kids I sent a cute one with their pix pretty much right away. This one as yellow and only had his bris at 2 months and I got loads of presents then. Then was yom tov and things.....is it better to send out thank u cards now even though it is 2 months after his bris?
( I sent a text right away ton most ppl)
Wwyd?

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:14 am
amother wrote:
My baby was 4 months old today and I still a haven't done thank u cards. My other 2 kids I sent a cute one with their pix pretty much right away. This one as yellow and only had his bris at 2 months and I got loads of presents then. Then was yom tov and things.....is it better to send out thank u cards now even though it is 2 months after his bris?
( I sent a text right away ton most ppl)
Wwyd?

Send the thank yous now.

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 3:37 am
I made phone calls to everyone.

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 8:29 am
I send cards printed with the baby's name

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 9:12 am
Squishy wrote:
Send the thank yous now.

Agreed.

Reesa

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 10:15 am
For candy platters or food I sent texts, but personalized. Any gift gets a handwritten card. I also sent cards thanking people for the help they gave me if they did a lot for me.

bsy

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:34 am
My baby also just turned 4 months. I did cards for all the gifts/$/kiddush stuff. I still have 3 cards left to do.....hard to get around to them noow that I'm working. I remember doing a few every day for a few days to get the initial wave done. And then a few as things came in.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:01 pm
When I get the gift I make sure to thank them then- like a nice text or a call. Then I do the old fashioned way and send cards. I don't see the hassle of it at all. It takes 5 minutes.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics