Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Sleep away camp suggestions

morahmommy

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 12:31 pm
My daughter is currently in sixth grade and we are possibly looking into sleep away camp for her. I would love for her to be in a warm, low key type of camp with bais yaakov type hashkafos. We are already applying to chaviva but no guarantee of getting in, so I'm looking for an alternative. She already nixed camp bais yaakov as she said it's "too yeshivish". Any other similar camps? Any more insight into the two camps suggested above?

Any info would be helpful. Thank you!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:52 pm
Where are her friends going?

My DD happens to go to Camp Bais Yaakov, and she's probably a bit center there, but it's a mix. There are girls there that are way way Yeshivish, but there's quite alot of just plain BY like my DD there.

My older DD went to Camp Shira, and how we missed it....it was a great camp. DD was already in older TC's the last year there, and she stopped going to camp after Shira. My nieces continued to Kolos, which is sort of Shira's successor. That might be a good option for you to look into.

I've also heard good things about Ohr Chedva. If CBY didn't work for us, I think that's where we would go.

debsey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 1:56 pm
What about Malka or Bnos Ruach Chaim?

morahmommy

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 4:47 pm
We're thinking about Malka - I never heard of Bnos Ruach Chaim though? It will ultimately depend a lot on where her friends go but I'd like to know more before we make that decision - thanks for all the input!

harriet

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:30 pm
If she thinks BY is too yeshivish, she will likely think the same about Bnos Ruach Chaim, they are both pretty yeshivish.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 5:39 pm
harriet wrote:
If she thinks BY is too yeshivish, she will likely think the same about Bnos Ruach Chaim, they are both pretty yeshivish.

True, my DD thinks BRC is more yeshivish than CBY.

happy1234

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:18 pm
Camp raninu?

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:26 pm
Camp raninu is not a yeshivish camp at all based on the people I know who went there

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 22 2016, 6:31 pm
Malka is very in town. Not simple at all. Well run though with very nice lakewood and Brooklyn type crowd.
Brc and camp by are more simple and more to the yeshivish or out of town side.
Chaviva is very middle of the road and they do take more applicants as they only allow each camper to go for 1 half. People are very happy there.
Ohr chedva is more Flatbush type/ less yeshivish then the other camps mentioned.
Kolos is new but was supposed to be attracting a crowd similar to camp shira.

L K

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:20 am
What crowd is kolos and who's in charge?

Last edited by L K on Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:28 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:24 am
Chayalle wrote:
Where are her friends going?

My DD happens to go to Camp Bais Yaakov, and she's probably a bit center there, but it's a mix. There are girls there that are way way Yeshivish, but there's quite alot of just plain BY like my DD there.

My older DD went to Camp Shira, and how we missed it....it was a great camp. DD was already in older TC's the last year there, and she stopped going to camp after Shira. My nieces continued to Kolos, which is sort of Shira's successor. That might be a good option for you to look into.

I've also heard good things about Ohr Chedva. If CBY didn't work for us, I think that's where we would go.

what happened to shira?

1ofbillions

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
what happened to shira?

There was a fire on premises during the winter, 2 or 3 years ago, and they didn't reopen since then. A lot of the staff got together and formed Camp Kolos.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 1:26 pm
which staff from shirah continued to camp kolos?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children