Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Refunded for an item I received

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 6:12 am
I ordered a book online that cost me $10. I did not receive it in the expected time frame so I contacted the company to ask them for the status of my order. They told me that if I did not yet receive it, it was likely lost- and they refunded me.

Today I received the book. Am I obligated to let them know? I doubt it's a Jewish company but I am not sure. (Can I anyways expect some compensation because it did not deliver in time?)

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 6:31 am
I think it would be proper to notify them that it came. if you pay for shipping within a certain time frame (like amazon prime), you can contact them about the issue, they will often give you a small credit to make up for it. if you were willing to pay the $10 to receive the book, it's not going to hurt you to pay the seller.

gibberish

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 7:54 am
I think there is a concept of kiddush hashem. Call them and say that your Jewish religion requires you to be honest and that you received it after the refund was processed.

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 8:00 am
It's $10, not a big deal for either of you. Contact the seller, my guess is they'll tell you to keep the refund as a courtesy for the shipping delay.

Snickers18

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 8:10 am
I don't know the halacha, but I have informed them in similar circumstances. Seems like the moral thing to do.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 8:49 am
Why not make a Kiddush Hashem? I've had a $150.00 purchase delivered to me twice but was only billed once. I called and told them about it. They said I should leave it for UPS to pick up. I did and they never came. I called AGAIN and let them know UPS never came to pick up the duplicate package and at that point they just said I should keep it.

zaq

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 11:38 am
The proper thing is to let them know. Often they will tell you to keep the item but it is definitely a kiddush Hashem to offer to return it.

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:44 pm
Last week Amazon delivered my package to the wrong address. It was showing as delivered. I called and they gave me a credit. Two days later my mail person knocks on my door say he found my package at an address two blocks away. I called Amazon back and told them to back out the credit since the mail person solved the problem. They told me to keep it since their last leg delivery failed.

And no you don't deserve a credit for the item since it was delivered late.

pizza4

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 12:54 pm
Bizzydizzymommy wrote:
Why not make a Kiddush Hashem? I've had a $150.00 purchase delivered to me twice but was only billed once. I called and told them about it. They said I should leave it for UPS to pick up. I did and they never came. I called AGAIN and let them know UPS never came to pick up the duplicate package and at that point they just said I should keep it.

I had a similar story with a crib, about $100 and it arrived with one piece broken. They refunded right away and we were going to ship it back, but in the end they said keep it, they have no use for it anyway, so we glued it back together and still use it...

acemom

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 7:06 pm
We ordered some items from Amazon last December and wanted to return one thing. Amazon refunded the amount paid but instead of giving me the option of printing a return label they just told me to keep it!

Companies include these losses in their business expenses because it leaves the customers with a good feeling or something. In the long run it helps the business grow.

tigerwife

Post Sun, Dec 11 2016, 7:19 pm
pizza4 wrote:
I had a similar story with a crib, about $100 and it arrived with one piece broken. They refunded right away and we were going to ship it back, but in the end they said keep it, they have no use for it anyway, so we glued it back together and still use it...

I had the same story with a piece of furniture. It arrived with a leg broken off, so the company told me not to bother shipping back, they would send me a new one and I could donate or throw out the broken one (I ended up keeping it but still have to figure out how to fix it). I think with furniture, the shipping costs much more. They asked for details on the damage (in my case the box was in bad shape too) and I think they disputed with their shipping company.

Another time, I ordered a bad from Bloomingdales holiday season and it never arrived. I called them for a refund which they claimed they gave me. In the end, the package was found at the wrong address, so I called them up to cancel the refund. While I was on the phone with them, I checked my online banking and saw that they had actually charged me twice instead of crediting me, so it was a good thing a got back to them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions