Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
The New kosher cookbook by Kim Kushner

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:09 pm
Does anyone have it? Thinking of purchasing it- are the recipes different but easy- need some new ideas..... Getting tired of the bais Yaakov cookbook/ kosher by design series/ spice and spirit etc... It would be an early Chanukah gift to myself.

Amarante

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:25 pm
Not familiar with it but there are many many cookbooks that aren't kosher per se but which have recipes that are great for kosher households.

There are so many varieties including ones that are intended for busy families; for women who want to cook only on Sunday; for one dish meals; easy, hard and in between.

If you are tired of the same old same old, why don't you explore some "regular" cookbooks. Public libraries often have good selections of cookbooks and if you look on amazon every month they recommend cookbooks so you can look up their recommendations going back for awhile.

ruby slippers

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:38 pm
I have one or 2 of those too- but don't enjoy them because they are so many trief recipes.
But thanks for the tip of looking in the library.

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 9:48 pm
it looks good to me! I also like the silver palette and susie fishbein's coming home. I can recommend some vegan cookbooks if you are interested

Chocomama

Post Mon, Dec 05 2016, 11:30 pm
I really like the New Kosher. I got it out from the library and want to buy it. I've already made 2 chicken recipes both really good. The sticky chicky and the sesame soy lime chicken. I want to try the cinnamon meatballs next.. Enjoy Smile

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2016, 9:19 am
eema1 wrote:
I have one or 2 of those too- but don't enjoy them because they are so many trief recipes.
But thanks for the tip of looking in the library.

I don't find that to be true if you think a bit creatively.

Yes there are some obviously treif ingredients but in general the fish, meat and poultry recipes are kosher or can be made so very easily.

Even some recipes that are treif can be utilized by either swapping an ingredient or using a kosher sub. There are vegan cheeses and pareve milks that are easy.

Unless a recipe is completely dependent on a flavor swapping a bit works out well.

if you look at recipes with an open mind the whole universe of food expands.

Also there are some modern takes on Jewish cooking that are completely kosher but outside of the box in terms of food and more like what is going on in current food circles. For example, the 92 Street Y put out a great cookbook last year. Very kosher but more like recipes you would find in a modern kosher restaurant.

Also Cookbooks for ethnic cuisines are great inspirations. Chinese Cookbooks are some of my favorites. Their cuisine doesn't use almost any dairy and even if the protein is pork or Shrimp, you can generally sub Chicken for example.

Some of my favorite recipes have come from non Jewish sources. I don't tend to buy Cookbooks though as I borrow from the library and then just make a copy of the recipes I find appealing. I especially like borrowing digital versions because then I can import directly into my recipe database.

Again, just a suggestion if you want to expand beyond the box.

Especially helpful to me are Cookbooks that provide solutions to help get food on the table every day. There is a great one, for example, that I am reading by the editors of Food52. It is organized by months and the idea is to show how if you're u cook something on Sunday you can repurpose it for the rest of the week. Lots of very int resting and helpful tips so that you aren't feeding your fsmily dreary leftovers but doing something time consuming on the weekend and then having a plan on how to make fast and easy dishes for the weekdays. And of course some great foods isn't hard but you need to be home while the stew bubbles or the braise works its magic

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:38 am
I just got it out. It's fun and I do plan to try some of the recipes. The chickens aren't my family's cuppa, too much sweet stuff in the ones that seemed to me user-friendly.
OP, based on the ones you mentioned, I don't know if you want to buy this. See if you can get it from your public library first. There are a lot of recipes that use ingredients that might not be in your repertoire.
OTOH, I noticed a recipe for stormy cake, or something like that. And I thought, hey, I clipped that from Mishpacha. I looked at the recipes and they were identical! Including the "tweaks" from the original Norene Gillitz recipe. And the pictures were identical too! What in the world?!?! Then I realized - embarrassed , Mishpacha featured the cookbook that week. I only saved the pages for the storm cake so don't know what else they thought was user-friendly for their readership besides that and the coconut banana muffins. I love the storm cake, and use pareve sour cream.
And I'm an old fogey, I'd rather have fewer pictures and more recipes.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics