Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Fruit flies in my bathroom!

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:42 pm
And almost no where else in my apartment! We've set up an apple cider vinegar trap which is slowly working, but why my bathroom? In all the years I've been in my apartment, we've never had it this bad.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:50 pm
I had this recently and it turned out that a child's flavored medication was attracting them. Whoda thunk. Also check every nook and cranny, you never know, an errant banana peel may have ended up in there.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 1:55 pm
Clean the sink drain. Empty the strainer and let the water run for a minute.

chocolatecake

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:12 pm
I live in a building too and have fruit flies in my kitchen. so annoying!!!! The building exterminator comes once a month and he told me to pour a cup of bleach down the drain because they travel through drains. I did it probably like three times and now that Im thinking about it I dont think I saw a fruit fly yesterday or today. I also made a vinegar trap but the trap didnt catch anything. Can you please share how exactly you made your trap and if it cought anything.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:14 pm
I used baking soda and vinegar, poured a lot down the drains, for a few days, and then the fruit flies were GONE.

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:16 pm
Its a tiny bathroom, not too many hiding places. There is no strainer and we don't keep medicines in the bathroom. Can't think of anything that's there that wasn't before--except maybe a kids shampoo??

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 2:20 pm
miami85 wrote:
Its a tiny bathroom, not too many hiding places. There is no strainer and we don't keep medicines in the bathroom. Can't think of anything that's there that wasn't before--except maybe a kids shampoo??

Sometimes its just the actual drain that needs cleaning out. Try the vinegar and baking soda. It really works.

zaq

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:55 pm
Do you have a plant in the bathroom? Might be fungus gnats and not fruit flies.

Iamamother2

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 9:34 pm
They are not regular fruit flies that live off of food. They come from the drain. We've had them in the winter in our bathroom every year since I could remember.

miami85

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 10:00 pm
No plant.

According to the pictures I'm seeing online--they are fruit flies. They are little brownish-reddish bugs that I see around bananas.

Boysta

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:00 pm
I think they are called drain flies. tape up ur drain from bathtub, sink, shower etc. at night. In the morning you should be able to see where they are coming from. They can also come from little cracks in the wall, grout etc.

baker1

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:02 pm
I had them too!! Pour bleach down the drain a few times a week and they will disappear!!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 11:14 pm
I have them too. Never knew it could be drain flies. Well now that I Googled the image I see that it is. What should I do with the vinegar and baking soda? Make a solution and pour down the drain?

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 4:29 am
amother wrote:
I have them too. Never knew it could be drain flies. Well now that I Googled the image I see that it is. What should I do with the vinegar and baking soda? Make a solution and pour down the drain?
Yup! Exactly!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics