Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
What type of therapy for ADHD

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:54 pm
What did you do to help your child with ADHD. Did you take your child to a therapist? The clinic I went to assigned a social worker for my child. What should they be working on? What methods did you see results with?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 4:05 pm
Get an evaluation they can tell you what the issue s are. Why do you think your child has ADHD? You can decide on your own

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 4:51 pm
He was diagnosed with ADHD a couple of years back and on medications since then. If he had an evaluation today I wonder what additional diagnoses would be added on. What should I be looking out for when meeting his therapist? what methods would they try to use? I'm sick off bringing him in week after week to play board games.

flmommy

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:15 pm
I wish something other then medication worked but we haven't found it yet and I have decided nothing else works. If behavior is bad then possibly behavior modification therapy. Good luck.

mha3484

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:25 pm
My six year old goes weekly for therapy. Last year when he was in nursery (pre k) they did a lot of behavior charts and working on strategies to manage his impulses. They have been working more on social skills since pre 1a has started. The therapist also works with the teachers to implement different strategies to help him in the classroom. This is coupled with occupational therapy and medication/Nutrional supplements.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:45 pm
ADHD is an executive function issue + emotional regulation issues. They get hyper. Excited quickly. Have a hard time calming down hence they go from one thing to the next constantly without having to take a break. The get upset easily. Have meltdowns easily. Sensitive natures.

Have a hard time with any changes. If you change something a bit then they get confused. They must have routine or they get hyper.

I'm writing this to,make it more helpful. I felt so in the dark before I had a diagnosis. All this dh explained to me before diagnosis as he deals with this but was never officially diagnosed . But realized with time that ds had this. The diagnosis clarified it to me al little more. And made everything make more sense. I was grateful dh explained this all I feel like there isn't a lot of good explanation out there.

If your child had a diagnosis then some of this should have come up. Spot your child's issues and work on those. As time goes by you will pick up on more.

Ds is not seeing a therapist yet. They say cbt is helpful. They help your child learn tactics how to help them function better. How to be less impulsive. Or whatever it is. These children always struggle to a certain degree but the tools are there to help them.

Was this helpful?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:35 pm
Thanks for the info. I am meeting with a new social worker. I wanted to go into this meeting with some knowledge to be able to ask questions and see what issues will be tackled first.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:27 pm
I have ADHD.

I recommend talking to your child's teacher first, to see what areas would be helpful for school.

Then sit down (with your husband if applicable) and make a list of all the areas at home and school that could use imporvement. Also, make sure to phrase everything as a positive, because your son will see/hear this list (e.g. don't write 'he can't sit still for homework', write 'help find ways to encourage sitting for longer periods of time while doing homework'). The kinds of things on the list will probably include the following:
Impulsive behaviors
Organizational skills
Following directions and Completing tasks
School related
Doing homework
Doing house chores
Social skills (if relevant)
Try to be specific when making the list, the above are just categories.

Then show the list to the social worker and make a plan together with the social worker and your son for how to work on each thing, slowly and in a goal-oriented manner. If the social worker can't help with certain issues, then he/she should be able to refer you to a person or program which can help.

Really, the thing needed most in ADHD is to learn skills to overcome the deficits caused by ADHD, and these are skills others take for granted (like no one ever understood why my backpack was so messy, they just told me to organize it. But they didn't understand that I actually did not have the ability to organize it). This is a very personalized process, as each person with ADHD will need different coping strategies (aka skills) that are a good fit for their abilities in general (both related to ADHD and otherwise. For example, I have a fantastic memory, and I learned to use it to my advantage to develop coping strategies. But for someone who doesn't have a good memory, those skills would be useless). Make sure to cover as many areas as possible (e.g., I learned how to cope really well in terms of school and homework and studying and even got a master's degree and have a succesful career, but I never learned how to cope with running a household and my house is incredibly disorganized and messy all the time. At least my master's degree and successful career allows me to pay for cleaning help, but I wish I could be more on top of it myself). If you can get professional help in teaching your kid the skills needed in the above areas, then your kid will learn to cope and overcome the things he's not good at and be more functional in all areas of life needed to be a successful adult.

Good luck!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 3:54 pm
Not necessarily therapy
But OT can maybe help as the therapy involves getting Out energy.
Taking kid off sugar can help

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 4:57 pm
Totally agree that a social worker is the way to go. Taking off sugar and ot have not been scientifically proven as real good results whereas therapy has been proven

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 8:30 pm
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to write it all down so I can bring it up with the therapist when we meet him. While restricting sugar and and lots of physical activities do help with the hyperactivity it doesn't teach him how to compensate for the skills that he's missing.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 6:20 am
I found adhd coaching to be very helpful

both for parents of child and the child themselves

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Dec 14 2016, 7:59 am
Yes, good point from the amother above - make sure to get some coaching for yourself on how to handle an ADHD kid. It makes a big difference for you and the kid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)