Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Opening a Legal DayCare

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 1:51 pm
Does anyone work in or own a legal daycare with multiple classes. I am toying with the idea of opening one up. I am in NY/NJ and there are gov programs that help subsidize day care for lower income homes where both parents are working. That would be my target clientele.I work with government programs at my current job and the paperwork/bureaucracy does not scare me. The problem with legal childcare is that the ratio of child to staff is very low especially under two making it hard to make money. Yes I like kids. Although I would love to have this center of mine big enough that I would be busy running it and not actually in a classroom although I do realize in the beginning that will probably not be the case. Anyone have any ideas tips advice experience that they can share with me.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:00 pm
anyone.....

married123

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:20 pm
Location would help. Ny/nj is huge. Ny laws are different than in jersey. I have looked into this and you can make good money although I never did anything past that. Good luck

Fox

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:35 pm
I can't speak for NY/NJ, but in Illinois, there are a number of professional consultants available (most of whom worked for state supervisory agencies in the past) who know all the ins and outs. Their charges are very reasonable, and they can help you jump through all the necessary hoops without making any costly mistakes. Check online for "Child Care Resource and Referral Agencies."

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:52 pm
married123 wrote:
Location would help. Ny/nj is huge. Ny laws are different than in jersey. I have looked into this and you can make good money although I never did anything past that. Good luck

Most probably it would be NJ. When you say you looked into it did it make sense to start small and then go bigger or just go big right away. From what I see you really need to be big to make money but starting small is easier...

married123

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 3:54 pm
I didn't get into the technicals of it... I also don't know the nj laws. If there is a need in the area, you can start big but may have some vacancies until you build up your name.

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 7:34 pm
married123 what made you decide against pursuing it further

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 7:37 pm
I started trying to look into it (but could never reach the person I was told to call- probably because she was too busy doing paperwork!). In addition to the large number of staff there's a huge amount of paperwork for which you either need to pay s/o very capable or spend hours yourself.

Someone we know opened up but the funding was delayed/denied and she may be left with large debts to pay.

married123

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 7:39 pm
I was looking into different opportunities and didnt know much about the legal things and decided on something more fit for me. Personallity and time wise

imeinu

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 10:38 pm
If you are not in Lakewood, there seem to be a lot of CHS approved daycares here. Maybe one of them can help you start out?

amother
Coffee

Post Tue, Dec 13 2016, 10:17 am
I am not in Lakewood and would definitely contact a CHS approved daycare when I got closer. How many kids to the CHS approved day care centers have and is the director a Morah also or purely an administrator?

amother
Cornsilk

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 12:16 am
Are

Last edited by amother on Tue, Feb 01 2022, 9:35 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Dec 11 2018, 10:53 am
Bump. I am thinking of doing this and want to know if anyone has anyone has done it and can help me. I will be doing it in commercial space I have and there is a huge need for it in my community. This is in NY.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics