Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do the germs die?

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 9:05 pm
I know this is gross.
Please don't judge me.
It's after the fact already.

When I prepared my chicken for last Shabbos, I had other things in the sink and I didn't want to contaminate it all with the raw chicken things. So I put the dish and utensils aside. But I was really busy and never really got around to clearing the sink - new things piled in faster than I could keep up, until the chicken things were good and forgotten.

So now I was looking for my good knife to prepare chicken for THIS Shabbos and guess what?

If it was sitting around for a week, do the germs die of dehydration or do they just have an extra week's worth of proliferation? What do I do now? If it weren't my best knife and I had others like it then I might just throw it out but that's not an option. I just want to know the best way to make it safe.

tichellady

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 9:09 pm
I'm not a scientist but I would really probably stick it in some bleach and then wash really well with soap and hot water

rednavy

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 9:10 pm
Germs do not die of dehydration. That sounds like the kind of environment that would promote rapid bacterial growth. You need to wash the utensils extremely well and I recommend you submerge them in boiling water.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 9:12 pm
Wash it really well with good quality dish soap and hot water for a really long time. Then leave it overnight in something like bleach or alcohol or vinegar. And then really well again either dishsoap and hot water.
Stainless steel sanitizes easily. It's the handle that's worrisome. And touching it then touching the food.
If you have a dishwasher, best and easiest bet is to run it through a sanitize cycle. Or run it in your neighbor's

challahchallah

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:34 pm
As others have said, you definitely need to sanitize the knife. I work in a lab with all sorts of gross things, so I'm well versed in this process... Thoroughly clean the knife, then soak in a 10% bleach solution for 30 minutes. Make sure to rinse very well afterwards to be sure no bleach residue remains.

amother
Lemon

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:44 pm
I literally don't own bleach. Is enough Fantastik to practically suffocate me also good?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:56 pm
amother wrote:
I literally don't own bleach. Is enough Fantastik to practically suffocate me also good?

Bleach is a disinfectant Fantastic is a cleaner. Use peroxide.

Miri1

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 11:15 pm
challahchallah wrote:
As others have said, you definitely need to sanitize the knife. I work in a lab with all sorts of gross things, so I'm well versed in this process... Thoroughly clean the knife, then soak in a 10% bleach solution for 30 minutes. Make sure to rinse very well afterwards to be sure no bleach residue remains.

Wouldn't dunking or leaving in some rubbing alcohol do the trick? It evaporates, so you wouldn't have to be concerned then with residue.

challahchallah

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 2:05 am
Miri1 wrote:
Wouldn't dunking or leaving in some rubbing alcohol do the trick? It evaporates, so you wouldn't have to be concerned then with residue.

Yup! Bleach is stronger than rubbing alcohol which is why it's my go-to, but rubbing alcohol should totally work for this. Wash well with hot soapy water, then pour 70% IPA over all surfaces (or dip or whatever). Alcohol does evaporate quickly...but I'd still rinse well with water after since you definitely don't want to be consuming it.

As others have mentioned, boiling water or the sanitize cycle of a dishwasher will also work, though may be tougher on your knife depending on materials.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen