Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Hot soup in crockpot for Shalosh Seudos

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 6:26 am
I'm thinking about buying a second crockpot to make (parve) soup for Shalosh Seudos, as I think that would be something nutritious and filling that my family would like to eat. But I'm wondering what kind of soups would be good after 25+ hours in the crockpot. Does anyone have experience with this? What kinds of soups do you make? Do you keep the crockpot on low all Shabbos? Cook before Shabbos and then keep on warm?

TIA!

Anon because discussing IRL.

tichellady

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 6:52 am
yes cook on friday, season until it tastes how you want to serve it, then leave on warm right before shabbos. you can make: lentil, black bean, white bean, onion, mushroom barley, shiitake leek, probably split pea but I have not tried. if you have a meat crockpot you can make chicken soup or a beefy soup with veggies or barley or a lamb chickpea soup

wife101

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 6:57 am
You can make a good thick veggie soup. Cook it on high for a few hours and then move it down to keep warm for Shabbos.

nechama732

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 6:57 am
in the winter, with short shabbos afternoon, I make soup on motzei. it's great, especially in the cold nights...

essie14

Post Mon, Dec 12 2016, 9:11 am
nechama732 wrote:
in the winter, with short shabbos afternoon, I make soup on motzei. it's great, especially in the cold nights...

Yeah, we are barely hungry by the time havdalah arrives in the winter. We eat pizza or soup or pancakes or something later on motzei Shabbat.

amother
Copper

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 8:54 pm
OP here. I made split pea soup in the crockpot on Friday (cooked on high for about 6 hours) and then turned it to warm. By Shalosh seudos time it looked, smelled, and tasted funny (kind of sour...) I'm hoping nobody who ate it gets food poisoning. Has anyone left a soup on low for 24 hours and had it come out good?

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:34 am
I don't think you can leave on warm all of Shabbot, warm is not hot enough to prevent it from going off. I find liquidy soups stay good, the thicker ones get burnt on the edges (except lentil and split pea which seem to work). So I do onion soup, tofu noodle soup (noodles on side) veggie soup w/ k'neidel (not blended), minestrone, I've done egg drop and corn soup too but I can't remember if on Shabbot afternoon or not. You can put in everytihng raw right before Shabbot and put on low.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen