Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is it normal for a 20 year old to only eat 2 meals a day?

amother
Purple

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 11:18 pm
How many meals a day should a normal young adult eat?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Dec 17 2016, 11:22 pm
I had a friend that had such a busy life she only ate dinner. the rest of the day she just sort of took a bite here and there but no other real meal.

What is the issue? Do you think this 20 year old is being malnourished?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:36 am
I just don't think it's normal. I am very concerned.

DrMom

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:42 am
Are you worried this person is anorexic?

If this person seems to be getting enough food and is not malnourished, why does it bother you? A 20-year-old is old enough to decide when s/he wants to eat.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:48 am
Wait, I just saw that I read your original post wrong. You are saying that she is eating TWO meals a day? I read one for some reason. I think if she is ok, let it be.
But if you say you are concerned then check it out.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 1:50 am
Unless this person is your child and you think he/she has an eating disorder , MYOB. A 20 year old can buy/prepare his/her own food and eat whenever he/she wants.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 3:10 am
essie14 wrote:
Unless this person is your child and you think he/she has an eating disorder , MYOB. A 20 year old can buy/prepare his/her own food and eat whenever he/she wants.

Why is everyone so into MYOB these days?? OP sounds concerned about this persons health. When I was 20 I had a raging eating disorder and everyone was so busy MYOB-ing that it took me passing out at work for someone to reach out and help me.

OP, eating 2 meals a day can be okay and can also be the sign of a problem. You didn't give us many details so it would be hard to know why this young adult is doing this. If you feel that she is in trouble why don't you speak to her? Even if she is indeed experiencing a crisis she may very likely not admit it but at least you did your part...

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 4:33 am
It depends on whether you are a hunter/gatherer, a farmer, or a factory worker. It depends on whether you work in bursts of speed, or in long sustained motion, or are sedentary. Some people (like me) cannot stand the idea of food first thing in the morning, so only eat lunch and dinner.

In many cultures, 2 meals a day is the norm. In others, snacking all day is the norm. In England, you have breakfast, lunch, tea, and supper, and then maybe a snack before bed! If you live in the Amazon, you nosh on nuts, berries and dried meat all day long, so your blood sugar doesn't fall.

Differing caloric expense will determine when a person's body signals hunger. If the person is healthy, and does not have obsessive or disordered thinking about food, then there is nothing to worry about.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 4:43 am
Also some medications can interfere with appetite. Do you know if this person is taling something? My husband takes adderall amd it really suppresses his appetite. He has to eat breakfast before he takes it, otherwise he won't. He has to drink Ensure during the day for the calories, because he has no appetite for lunch. He eats dinner after it wears off.

trixx

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:29 am
If you're concerned watch how they're eating, not when. (picking at food, pushing around, going to. Bathroom after to possibly throw up)
at 20 I was working insanely crazy and busy jobs, had no time to eat, plus being an excellent faster meant the only real meal I had was dinner and grabbed snacks throughout the morning - but when I sat down to eat, boy did I eat. No one could ever accuse me of being anorexic lol. Unhealthy eating patterns maybe, but I was only eating healthy foods and my body could handle the pattern I was in, so who cares.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:34 am
When I was 20, I was holding down a full time job in a fast paced career as well as fitting in college somehow. Plus late night friends weddings, engagement parties, etc. If you saw me during the day, the only things I put into my mouth were coffee and some energy bars. It was only after a long, busy day that I was able to sit down and eat a four course supper rich in protein, chicken or meat, whole grains, and vegetables.

Two meals a day for a young adult are not cause for concern, unless there are other red flags as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen