Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Cheesecake for breakfast

chocolatecake

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 10:55 pm
My 3.5 yr old needs to gain weight and he loves cheesecake. I just made a very basic one flour sugar eggs vanilla creamcheese and greek yogurt. am I nuts to offer him a slice for breakfast tomorrow.

cbg

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 11:04 pm
It probably has as much sugar as his cereal.

agreer

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 11:10 pm
Not at all. I would definitely let a child who needs to gain weight eat what he likes.

lucky14

Post Thu, Dec 15 2016, 11:36 pm
not nuts at all. sounds like he needs extra calories and it's has protein and calcium. lucky kid getting such a yummy breakfast.

amother
Bronze

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 7:23 am
Not nuts, but I'd be careful about the sugar (make a low or no sugar version if you can). Sugar is bad for everyone, even underweight people. Also make sure you use full fat dairy products- more calories and more filling.

imasinger

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 7:52 am
Did he eat it?

studying_torah

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 7:55 am
Oooh cheesecake, can I have some too? 😊

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 11:30 am
He was very excited when he saw that I made cheesecake for him. I gave him a slice than left the room. I come back a few minutes later and everything is gone even the plate. He tells me "I dont like the brown part - I threw it out." I opened the garbage and see he ate around half piece. The crust was in the garbage with any cheesecake near the crust not touched. I guess I'll "decrust" it for him next time I give him some and I hope I dont eat too much myself Cool

Chayalle

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 11:36 am
My oldest DD is very petite (B"H at 18 she's 5 ft tall). At 3.5 she was wearing size 18 months. In pre-1-A, she wearing size 3T She graduated elementary school in a size 7 uniform, and had her high school uniform made for her as they didn't carry her size. B"H she grew as a teen and is now petite-normal looking for her age.

You are totally not crazy OP. I used to offer her all sorts of foods - for breakfast, for snack after school before supper - whatever she would eat (all at the advice of her doctor). Especially something like cheesecake - great choice! It has calcium, eggs, etc...the sugar content is not something to get to nervous about. I used to make it all the time. Pizza is another great option - there are frozen pizzas that are pretty good. Cheese sticks too. A snack that has both calories and calcium is a great choice for a small child that needs to grow.

Hatzlacha!

lkwdlady

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 11:38 am
Make him delicious milkshakes with whole milk, ice cream...

Rutabaga

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 12:09 pm
Cheesecake is a great idea!

Anyone else find the OP's screen name funny in this case?

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 12:14 pm
I'd try to reduce the sugar in the recipe, but otherwise sounds great.

momoftwo2

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 12:20 pm
Op, mind posting the recipe? I also have a picky eater who needs to gain weight. And he loves cheesecake!

Amarante

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 12:37 pm
Why not? You would feed those ingredients for breakfast anyway and you could make a version that is slightly less sweet.

In my experience cheesecake tends to be less sweet than most other baked goods anyway. It is just super high in fat which is fine for this child since he could be eating whole fat dairy anyway.

There are also Savory cheesecakes you could make

sweetpotato

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 12:51 pm
Not crazy. I also have two tiny girls and I try to make sure they have a big breakfast with as much dairy/fat as they want. For me, at least, breakfast is the meal I can best control with them: they both go to school, where I know they tend to fill up on plain fruit during snack times, and it's hit or miss whether they eat all the lunch I pack them. By dinner time, they are often tired and less hungry.

Breakfast they always have a big appetite for, so I see no reason not to give something rich like cheesecake then. That's when your son will benefit from the energy as well.

In fact, this makes me want to make a cheesecake!

mamita

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 1:05 pm
Wish I could be that child - cheesecake for breakfast! Smile
Had a few kids like that. If you are looking for healthy way without unhealthy side affects incorporate lots of avocado, nuts, nut butters, olives and cold healthy oils. Also whole fruits and whole grains.
Bear in mind that some children are naturally like that. And the only thing you might change is givibg him a negative atittude to food and nutrition. I have a child who was always on the third percentile or below(!) And nothing helped. But my pediatrician pointed out that DC is growing at a healthy pace on dcs own curve. ( this is after ensuring no digestive problems etc). This DC has my family genes On the other hand my other dc was born big. and always was in the fiftieth percentile or over, this one has dhs genes Smile

chocolatecake

Post Fri, Dec 16 2016, 1:45 pm
momoftwo2 wrote:
Op, mind posting the recipe? I also have a picky eater who needs to gain weight. And he loves cheesecake!

8oz cream cheese
1 tbs lemon juice
half cup sugar
half tsp vanilla
two egga
mix and bake at 350 for half hr then let cool
one cup plain yogurt, vanilla yogurt or sour cream (I use plain greek yogurt)
two tbs sugar
half tsp vanilla
mix and pour on top of cooled cheesecake. bake at 350 for ten min

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 5:09 am
chocolatecake wrote:
He was very excited when he saw that I made cheesecake for him. I gave him a slice than left the room. I come back a few minutes later and everything is gone even the plate. He tells me "I dont like the brown part - I threw it out." I opened the garbage and see he ate around half piece. The crust was in the garbage with any cheesecake near the crust not touched. I guess I'll "decrust" it for him next time I give him some and I hope I dont eat too much myself Cool

You may be able to make it without the crust. If it looks like I have too much cheesecake batter, I pour it into single serving baking dishes dishes and either put it in the oven with the cheesecake or put them in the microwave, either way it will cook quicker so I keep an eye on them and take them out when set.

You could probably even make a full-sized cheesecake this way, but if you use a springform pan maybe wrap it in foil on the outside to prevent leaks.

shanie5

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 2:52 pm
imasoftov wrote:
You may be able to make it without the crust. If it looks like I have too much cheesecake batter, I pour it into single serving baking dishes dishes and either put it in the oven with the cheesecake or put them in the microwave, either way it will cook quicker so I keep an eye on them and take them out when set.

You could probably even make a full-sized cheesecake this way, but if you use a springform pan maybe wrap it in foil on the outside to prevent leaks.

I never make a crust for my cheesecake. My recipe also calls for a spring form pan. I cook the cake in a 'water bath'. (I put it in a larger pan with about 1-1 1/2 inches water). Never needed to wrap in foil, never leaked.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers