Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
DD helps herself all the time
Previous  1  2

utissis

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 5:13 pm
Lol this is so familiar!! When my oldest two were just a little younger than they are now it was a case of brace yourself before you leave the room!!
They'd get up to crazy things on their own. They grew out of it and learnt that they need to ask.
I always said that it shows they're kids full of personality and imagination!! The worst was a haircut morning much worse than snacks all over, my daughters beautiful locks she gave my son a haircut too!!
I feel like now the older two are old enough to understand that if one of the little ones does something like that they need to run and call us. And they do BH!!
Enjoy them!! They should give you much nachas!!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Dec 18 2016, 7:25 pm
amother wrote:
Personally I commend her ability to feed herself. I have older kids than that who are less industrious. As she gets older, pg the mess will get a bit less. I say enjoy your sleep in and let her enjoy her independence.

I could agree with this position, but there were two children younger than the age of 4 with her. Please don't tell me that a 4 year old has the knowledge, skills, ability, experience in decision making necessary to care for two younger siblings. Messes can get cleaned up, but injuries from opened silverware drawers or stoves being turned on take a bit longer.

amother
Burlywood

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 4:42 pm
When my ~4 year old is left alone, she does a lot worse things than what your daughter does. I never leave her alone for a minute, unless the room is totally childproof. So be happy all she's doing is pigging out on cookies and not breaking your favorite music player, coloring all over the table and floor, or tossing her clothes out the 3rd story window (all true things my daughter has done when left unsupervised for under 5 minutes). . .

Two things should be done here - one is to manage the environment and one is to manage the child. Put a lock on the cabinet and leave healthier alternatives (cereal, fruit, etc) out on the table or counter so she can take that instead if she;s hungry. Also, make sure you teach her which foods are special treats and only mommies and daddies are allowed to serve them, and give her suggestions of what to take in the morning and where she can find them.

MMCH

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 6:02 pm
as someone else mentioned before, I am impressed with your 4 year old!
Not that I think its ok at all , but I cant even imagine my kids doing that (not in they are perfect kind of way, but more there not that independent! )

I used to struggle with thinking my oldest was more mature than she actually was only bc she was the oldest and had younger siblings!
but she is only 4 years old, so I think a lock would be your best solution.

or get things that you are ok with her getting/eating and put them in one cabinet that she can have access to.

good luck!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers