Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
What are the laws?

yo'ma

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 4:38 pm
What are the laws for workers where you live? Where I live, specifically for domestic workers, but similar for other workers also, these are some laws if they're paid on the books. I think in the beginning right away, they get one or two weeks paid vacation. After working for a few years, they get 4 weeks paid vacation. The vacation is only for 1 week at a time. I could be wrong about the exact amount. It could be half that. I'm not sure because my cleaning lady very often took it when we went away.

Okay, that's vacation, but this part I'm curious what it's like where you live. If they are sick and have a doctors note, they get paid for up to 6 months. If they get injured on the job, including when they travel to and fro, they get paid, but I'm not sure for how long. I don't remember if it was for sick or injured, but we paid for it out of pocket and got back all of it from the insurance except for 10 days.

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 4:40 pm
What state do you live in?

gibberish

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 4:52 pm
There are no laws requiring you to pay time off in the US

MagentaYenta

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 5:00 pm
gibberish wrote:
There are no laws requiring you to pay time off in the US

Actually there are. There are a number of states that have laws to this effect. Some towns and municipalities do as well. Please google before you bring out the broad brush.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 5:12 pm
In my state employees are protected as follows:

-1/2 hour unpaid lunch break
-overtime pay (1.5x) after 40 hours (not required for professionals at annual salaries)
-up to 12 weeks family/medical unpaid, job-protected leave per year
-private and convenient space available for pumping
-minimum wage requirement
-unemployment available for 26-73 weeks for employees who have worked as a full time employee in the past 18 months
-disability insurance available for off the job illness or injury, up to $170 per week, for up to 26 weeks IIRC

It could be I'm forgetting some.

BabsB

Post Mon, Dec 19 2016, 7:34 pm
ra_mom wrote:
In my state employees are protected as follows:

-1/2 hour unpaid lunch break
-overtime pay (1.5x) after 40 hours (not required for professionals at annual salaries)
-up to 12 weeks family/medical unpaid, job-protected leave per year
-private and convenient space available for pumping
-minimum wage requirement
-unemployment available for 26-73 weeks for employees who have worked as a full time employee in the past 18 months
-disability insurance available for off the job illness or injury, up to $170 per week, for up to 26 weeks IIRC

It could be I'm forgetting some.

This is federal law, and there are specifics that go into it, not just "professionals." Also, below a certain annual salary and they still get overtime pay. That exemption amount increased to $47,476 on December 1.

https://www.dol.gov/WHD/overti.....q.htm

yo'ma

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:30 am
Okay, so when I say these laws are nuts and my dh says they're normal, everywhere has similar, he's wrong and I'm right Wink ?

gibberish

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:41 am
BabsB wrote:
This is federal law, and there are specifics that go into it, not just "professionals." Also, below a certain annual salary and they still get overtime pay. That exemption amount increased to $47,476 on December 1.

https://www.dol.gov/WHD/overti.....q.htm
fyi, it was never increased. It wad blocked by a federal judge

gibberish

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:41 am
MagentaYenta wrote:
Actually there are. There are a number of states that have laws to this effect. Some towns and municipalities do as well. Please google before you bring out the broad brush.
correct. I did mean to write no federal laws.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 11:57 am
yo'ma wrote:
Okay, so when I say these laws are nuts and my dh says they're normal, everywhere has similar, he's wrong and I'm right Wink ?

Not every place has those great laws you mentioned. Probably not many places at all though you might check with the Europeans. Tongue Out

imasoftov

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 1:54 pm
yo'ma wrote:

Five responses was enough to tell you about the laws everywhere?

Also, how widespread something is does not provide any information about how reasonable it is.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 2:14 pm
yo'ma wrote:
What are the laws for workers where you live? Where I live, specifically for domestic workers, but similar for other workers also, these are some laws if they're paid on the books. I think in the beginning right away, they get one or two weeks paid vacation. After working for a few years, they get 4 weeks paid vacation. The vacation is only for 1 week at a time. I could be wrong about the exact amount. It could be half that. I'm not sure because my cleaning lady very often took it when we went away.

Okay, that's vacation, but this part I'm curious what it's like where you live. If they are sick and have a doctors note, they get paid for up to 6 months. If they get injured on the job, including when they travel to and fro, they get paid, but I'm not sure for how long. I don't remember if it was for sick or injured, but we paid for it out of pocket and got back all of it from the insurance except for 10 days.

There are workers' compensation laws in the US. AFAIK, domestic workers in homes are not covered in most states, but I could be mistaken. Certainly businesses must provide workers comp. And while it drives up costs, it makes sense that domestic workers be covered as well.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:42 am
imasoftov wrote:
Five responses was enough to tell you about the laws everywhere?

Also, how widespread something is does not provide any information about how reasonable it is.

Really mostly only one person answered in full, but since that's all that answered, I was going with that. Besides I was wondering more with the us anyway. Okay, the second part, you are right.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics