Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Social pragmatic delay

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:10 pm
my ds was diagnosed with this.. can someone explain in simple people language what this means? ds also has adhd.

I would love to be able to see it as a parent and not as a professional. I am not professional. and I feel like this is all above me. I do know that he has delays in understanding but its so confusing to me. now he needs a slp and I dont know how to explain to him what his issues are. I do have a neuropsych eval. please help me understand. this is allsuch fancy language. thankds for taking the time to explain.

how come its so hard to understand what the word pragmatics means? why do the professionals make it so hard to help me understand? none of them are able to do this. even the best of them. I am soooooo confused. wheres the emoji of confusion

morahmommy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:18 pm
Pragmatics basically means language used to socialize- having conversations with others- both children and adults. Many times children with pragmatic delays have lots of language, but they don't use it functionally- to get their needs met, socialize, etc.

This should have been explained to you by whoever evaluated him. Not that complicated.

5*Mom

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:25 pm
morahmommy wrote:
Pragmatics basically means language used to socialize- having conversations with others- both children and adults. Many times children with pragmatic delays have lots of language, but they don't use it functionally- to get their needs met, socialize, etc.

This should have been explained to you by whoever evaluated him. Not that complicated.

Yes, and it also includes non-verbal communication.

And yes, there should have been a sit-down meeting to go over the findings of the eval and get all your questions answered and recommendations explained.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 2:59 pm
yes, but I still dont have the full picture. somehow these professionals dont explain things well in lay language. thanks for helping out anyway.

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:05 pm
A professional should always explain things in layman's terms. Not doing so, is unprofessional imnho.

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:09 pm
I would think it means delays in social skills which includes using language in a social way and reading body language and situations. Some kids don't understand that someone crying can mean someone is upset.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
yes, but I still dont have the full picture. somehow these professionals dont explain things well in lay language. thanks for helping out anyway.

Did you explain that you didn't understand what they were saying? They can't know that you don't understood without your feedback.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:26 pm
amother wrote:
my ds was diagnosed with this.. can someone explain in simple people language what this means? ds also has adhd.

I would love to be able to see it as a parent and not as a professional. I am not professional. and I feel like this is all above me. I do know that he has delays in understanding but its so confusing to me. now he needs a slp and I dont know how to explain to him what his issues are. I do have a neuropsych eval. please help me understand. this is allsuch fancy language. thankds for taking the time to explain.

how come its so hard to understand what the word pragmatics means? why do the professionals make it so hard to help me understand? none of them are able to do this. even the best of them. I am soooooo confused. wheres the emoji of confusion

Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder is a category in the new DSM-5. It can be explained as having difficulty with the social aspects of language use. For example, difficulty with conversation: initiation, turn-taking, topic maintenance, changing topics, and ending the conversation. The child can have difficulty knowing which topics are appropriate to discuss with peers and which are not. The child can have difficulty breaking into a group conversation. The child can have difficulty understanding abstract language such as figurative language or humor, which can leave him out socially. The child often has trouble reading body language and facial expressions. The child may not make adequate eye contact.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:37 pm
thank you rachaelle. I was wondering why some people are willing to help out but others just love to criticize. I was coming here for some explaination not for ideas how to communicate with someone else. if you cant help then dont comment

octopus

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:41 pm
So they took asperger's off of the dsm5 and put on social pragmatic disorder but it sounds highly similar.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:42 pm
amother wrote:
thank you rachaelle. I was wondering why some people are willing to help out but others just love to criticize. I was coming here for some explaination not for ideas how to communicate with someone else. if you cant help then dont comment

I'm glad you found what I wrote helpful!

You will also be able to read about your son's specific areas of difficulty in the evaluation report, which will give you further clarity.

Good luck and I hope your son finds the right help that he needs!

rachaelle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:47 pm
octopus wrote:
So they took asperger's off of the dsm5 and put on social pragmatic disorder but it sounds highly similar.

The DSM-5 has only two categories whereas that DSM-4 has five. Aspergers is similar to Social Pragmatic Communication Disorder. There are a few other differences between 4 and 5.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:53 pm
I understood that autism has another aspect that adhd doesnt . I was specifically told he doesnt have autism. even though he does have social pragmatic delay.

he doesnt have the repetitive and restrictive behaviours and he does have eye contact. he definitely has the social issues. slow processing too.

there is a difference.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
I understood that autism has another aspect that adhd doesnt . I was specifically told he doesnt have autism.

Autism spectrum disorder and social Pragmatic communication disorder are different diagnoses. Children with social pragmatic communication disorder are not autistic. ADHD and social pragmatic communication disorder often co-occur.

Here's a good website that may help explain more:

https://www.understood.org/en/.....order

There are so many resources to learn about social Pragmatic communication disorder. Do a google search.

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:13 pm
rachaelle thanks so much for stearing mein the right direction. I undestand this so much better. the examples really helped me. a true chesed for me. thanks. I actually for the first time someone explaining to me in a language I undestand.

seeker

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:45 pm
amother wrote:
I understood that autism has another aspect that adhd doesnt . I was specifically told he doesnt have autism. even though he does have social pragmatic delay.

he doesnt have the repetitive and restrictive behaviours and he does have eye contact. he definitely has the social issues. slow processing too.

there is a difference.

This is correct. Most people who would have been diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome under previous criteria would now be diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder.

Social pragmatic delay is essentially saying your child has impairments in social skills WITHOUT having autistic or other symptoms. This is a good thing. Many times social skills problems are really connected to something else, but this diagnosis basically says it's not for any other reason.

It may not be technically the most correct, but I like to think of the word "pragmatics" as meaning "usefulness."

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 8:13 pm
well seeker, ds does have adhd. and social pragmatic delays. not a good combination., if you dont get social ques and are impulsive and impatient. its not good. but bh hes a good kid. he has other strengths I cant overlook. but this is not easy. to say the least. hashem gives us challenges to learn something. I am learning alot.

rachaelle

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 8:35 pm
amother wrote:
rachaelle thanks so much for stearing mein the right direction. I undestand this so much better. the examples really helped me. a true chesed for me. thanks. I actually for the first time someone explaining to me in a language I undestand.

I'm so happy I was able to help you!!

seeker

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:27 am
amother wrote:
well seeker, ds does have adhd. and social pragmatic delays. not a good combination., if you dont get social ques and are impulsive and impatient. its not good. but bh hes a good kid. he has other strengths I cant overlook. but this is not easy. to say the least. hashem gives us challenges to learn something. I am learning alot.

True. There is nothing easy about this. I wish you tremendous success and nachas with DS. Even though it is a very hard challenge to live with, know that many people have learned to do so successfully. I hope you too will find the right tools to achieve this (don't expect anything to happen overnight, though. It will be a journey.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)