Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Any info on the name מטלא Matla please?!

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 3:54 pm
My grandmother always said her hebrew name was Myrtle and we never understood as we thought it wasn't a Hebrew name.

So I found her Kesuba with her this week and it turns out her name is actually מטלא Mem Tes Lamed Alef. There are no vowels so we are not sure of the pronunciation!

She unfortunately has dementia and has always used her English name and so has no recollection of the origin, meaning or pronunciation.

So I was hoping someone on here might be able to help us out! Have you heard of this name before? Do you know how it's pronounced? Do you know the origin or meaning? Any info is greatly appreciated!

She was born in England in 1929 and ashkenazi if that helps.

We were wondering if it's a Yiddish name?

Thanks so much for any input!

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 3:55 pm
Following. My grandmothers name is Muriel/matie. Wonder if there's a relationship.

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 4:14 pm
I know someone with the middle name Matla. No idea of meaning or origin though I'm pretty sure it's Yiddish. Definitely a real name, though not so common these days.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 4:31 pm
My Sil has a daughter with that name you spelled it correctly. She was named after a relative. They think it's Aramaic. You can look it up in the jastrow dictionary page 767.
It says it means imposed destiny, burden of prophecy.
It's a Targum in yeshayu 13:1.
She actually likes her name she has two names and likes to go by Malta over her other name which is a gorgeous name.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 5:04 pm
I know someone that calls her child Maytie. I believe her name is pronounced "Maytel"

amother
Black

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:14 pm
This is actually my name!!!! It is spelled and pronounced the way you have it written. It is an old Yiddish name with no known origin/meaning. Some people spell it with an aleph after the mem, as is customary in Yiddish spelling.

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Dec 20 2016, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
This is actually my name!!!! It is spelled and pronounced the way you have it written. It is an old Yiddish name with no known origin/meaning. Some people spell it with an aleph after the mem, as is customary in Yiddish spelling.

Most Yiddish names do have א/ע/יי in them so it would make sense that another way to spell it would be with an א after the מ.
I read Yiddish newspapers every week so yeah.

tovli toraspicha

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 6:42 am
Is it related to the Yiddish name Mattel? I know a few people who have that name, one who goes by Matti. Don't know anything about it though

mmyy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 7:25 am
My name is Matty, but spell my Hebrew name מאטיל but could be it comes from the same source, it's a traditional Polish name

Ruchel

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 3:05 pm
Yes it's all the same name.

All names have meaning.

This one is from the root like maydel.

There are various legit spellings.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:23 pm
Op here.

Thanks so much for all your replies!

To those that have this name and know someone with it, how is it pronounced?

Is it Mat as in Cat: Mat-la or as in Hut: Mut-la?

I found out that my grandmothers parents were English but their parents were from Russia and Poland so it could be of Polish origin like some of you have mentioned.

If anyone knows the meaning that would be much appreciated too. I presume if it's Yiddish it must have a translation.

Does anyone know the meaning of Mattel/מטל ?

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:28 pm
amother wrote:
Op here.

Thanks so much for all your replies!

To those that have this name and know someone with it, how is it pronounced?

Is it Mat as in Cat: Mat-la or as in Hut: Mut-la?

I found out that my grandmothers parents were English but their parents were from Russia and Poland so it could be of Polish origin like some of you have mentioned.

If anyone knows the meaning that would be much appreciated too. I presume if it's Yiddish it must have a translation.

Does anyone know the meaning of Mattel/מטל ?

Its Matla as in cot, not cat or hut.

I said above all that they found out what the meaning is.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:21 am
It is not Mutla or Motla. Matla. Mottel is male, and Mordechai.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names