Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Baby names

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:14 am
So I'm in my 8th month and thinking over baby names. I don't know if I'm having a girl or boy, so considering names for both.

Here are the issues:

1) For a girl, my aunt (father's sister) was just nifteres a couple of months ago, and her name was Leah--which is my mother's middle name.
2) My grandmother (father's mother) was nifteres a few years ago, and her name was Toby- and Hebrew name Toiba- which may or may not be my other grandmother's name (it says Tova Toiba on her ksubah, and she's called Toby). So can't take Tova (which is what I would normally use).
3) My great-grandmother (father's grandmother) was nifteres a number of years ago, and I would name after her, too--but her name was Chaya Faiga. Chaya is my MIL's mother's name, and I don't like Yiddish names.

So thinking of Tziporah Basya - Tziporah as a reference to my grandmother and great-grandmother (since Toiba and Faiga are both birds), and Basya after my husband's aunt whose first yartzheit just passed. The only issue is, I have a feeling there might be some hurt feelings in my father's family (though not from him, he'll be fine with it) that there are three different names to use, and I'm not directly using any of them. Also, I feel bad not making any reference to my Aunt Leah, since the pain of her loss is still fresh for the whole family. Any other ideas?

4) For a boy, my MIL's father was just niftar a week ago. His name was Avraham--which is my FIL's name (he's called by his middle name, too, so I guess it wasn't an issue). My BIL, who's married to a Sephardi girl, already named his son Eitan as a reference to my FIL--and it would get very confusing, since we see my BIL's family a lot. Also, I don't love the name Eitan.

Any other ideas for that? If we don't go with some reference to Avraham, we will likely take a random name that we like.

(FTR, if we give two names, we will likely use both of them, so we don't want to give a second name that we won't like.)

singleagain

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:25 am
When I was married I had a theoretical discuss with my husband abt names. My grandpa passed away when I was 14 and I made a promise to myself to name my first son after him. My husband's middle name was same as grandpa's middle so I was determined to at least give grandpa's first name. But husband was against bc it was his uncle's name (both Hebrew and English) ... I spoke to husband's aunt, wife of said uncle and she said it would be no problem naming after my grandpa even though it was same name. Bc I wasn't naming after uncle but grandpa. And she promised to back me up if time came. Never did, but was nice to know I had ally.

My suggestion for the names you aren't sure bc someone else has name. Talk to that person. Remind them your not naming after living person but after person who you love and miss...They might not mind.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:36 am
For a boy, what about Avichai? It's still a reference to the "father" and that his memory "live on", and sounds similar to Avraham. You can even call him Avi, if that's not too confusing.

For a girl, it sounds like you might need to ask a shayla. I would think Leah is no problem, especially paired with another names, since your mother's name is "___ Leah" not "Leah" - but surely your father's family knows how these things work and what your mother and grandmother's names are?

I do think Tziporah Basya is a great combo based on what you've said, but as someone with a very long name I'd caution you to really think about if you actually want to call her all five of those syllables all the time.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:18 am
[quote="finallyamommy"]

For a girl, it sounds like you might need to ask a shayla. I would think Leah is no problem, especially paired with another names, since your mother's name is "___ Leah" not "Leah" - but surely your father's family knows how these things work and what your mother and grandmother's names are?

A name is a name . Weather a person is called by that or not. My grandma had two names one same as my mother. N no one used that bc my mom was alive.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:19 am
finallyamommy wrote:
For a boy, what about Avichai? It's still a reference to the "father" and that his memory "live on", and sounds similar to Avraham. You can even call him Avi, if that's not too confusing.

I do think Tziporah Basya is a great combo based on what you've said, but as someone with a very long name I'd caution you to really think about if you actually want to call her all five of those syllables all the time.

Defiantly op can ask a shaila
We happened to have asked the exact same thing (actually) the relative had to names and one was same as mil and we were told no Sad.

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:20 am
Depends who you ask. Some hold that, for example, a man named Avraham can call his son Avraham Yitzchak no problem, because it becomes a different name. Sorry I don't have sources, but I've heard it from reputable rabbonim.

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:23 am
Yup I know what you mean and that's why we asked. Since it's considered a different name. But we were told it isn't done by a rav of a bais din. That's why I said op should defiantly ask but we were told no.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:37 am
finallyamommy wrote:

Avi for Avichai is a pretty good idea, but not sure if I'd want to do it... I'll discuss it with my husband.

My mother is makpid on her name, which would make it an issue regardless of whether it's technically halachically okay.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names