Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Job hunting - help!
1  2  Next

amother
Pewter

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 1:00 pm
im job hunting.

any tips anyone can give me on interviewing? any questions I should know to ask..

also, when they ask you how much your looking to get paid.. can anyone help me with wording how to answer that? im looking for a well paying a job and I feel that I have the skills and qualifications, I just need a polite way to say it.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:47 am
I have an interview lined up.. and the nerves are starting to get to me..

(first time interviewing.. so any tips.. info.. how it works.. what to do.. what do u say..)

thankss

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:12 am
Research well what the market rate is and what other people are being paid. If this is a big corporation you can look on glassdoor. Or ask someone else that works in the industry to give you a range. You can want a million dollars but there is such a thing as supply and demand.

Also if it's a very small place you can make a proposal like - I will start at salary x but if I am still here in 3 months I get x more.

[This is a random story but I feel like sharing it.]

One of my very first jobs after law school went like this:

My rabbi told me to ask for $110k.

I went into the tiny firm and asked for $110k. They said they were looking to pay $60k.

So this is what we negotiated. I would start at $80k but with no benefits at all, on a 1099. That saved the firm 20k so that's how they got from 60 to 80. I was getting the health coverage from my husband anyway. Then, every quarter that I was still there and working well, I would get another 7.5k bonus, so the total salary for the year would actually come out to $110k.

Anyway, P.S. the small firm was collapsing from the first day I started there, and I only worked for 2 months before being let go. However, the salary negotiation was fascinating and taught me how to play around with the numbers.

Nowadays I am in a legal field where the market numbers are more firm and I don't have as much of a say in anything.

amother
Puce

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:17 am
More tips ...

Wear a plain black suit and white shell ... or something equally plain. Make sure your nails and shoes look nice. Don't try to have what you are wearing be a distraction.

Bring along a copy of your resume.

Turn off your phone.

Don't chew gum.

Ask for the interviewer to tell you clearly what the job description is and what a typical day would be like. This will be very helpful for you.

My husband always says that the person who says the first "number" for salary loses. He says that you should say - well, what did you have in mind? The last thing you want to be doing is lowballing them and they give you less.

Don't worry if you have kids ... I have managed to hold many jobs in spite of this. In the beginning it's tough to get the babysitting down pat, but eventually you will get the hang of it.

Don't go in asking for Fridays off, if that's not what the job says. You don't need to mention Shabbos - most big corporations are aware of this and are ok with you leaving early on Fridays if you are doing your work well.

Don't start the interview by saying you can't do the hours or the commute, and you need special accommodations. If I were a boss, I would choose to not hire you. First, get the job. Then, decide if you want it, and try to make the hours and commute work. Last resort would be to ask for an accommodation.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:55 am
amother wrote:
More tips ...

Wear a plain black suit and white shell ... or something equally plain. Make sure your nails and shoes look nice. Don't try to have what you are wearing be a distraction.

Bring along a copy of your resume.

Turn off your phone.

Don't chew gum.

Ask for the interviewer to tell you clearly what the job description is and what a typical day would be like. This will be very helpful for you.

My husband always says that the person who says the first "number" for salary loses. He says that you should say - well, what did you have in mind? The last thing you want to be doing is lowballing them and they give you less.

Don't worry if you have kids ... I have managed to hold many jobs in spite of this. In the beginning it's tough to get the babysitting down pat, but eventually you will get the hang of it.

Don't go in asking for Fridays off, if that's not what the job says. You don't need to mention Shabbos - most big corporations are aware of this and are ok with you leaving early on Fridays if you are doing your work well.

Don't start the interview by saying you can't do the hours or the commute, and you need special accommodations. If I were a boss, I would choose to not hire you. First, get the job. Then, decide if you want it, and try to make the hours and commute work. Last resort would be to ask for an accommodation.

wow thanks!

im planning to wear a non descript dark jacket and black flair skirt.

I keep getting responses what my salary requirements are.. what do I do then?

cm

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:34 am
About Shabbat - I consider this a "second interview" topic, when they bring you back to discuss an offer and all the logistical details, including scheduling. Depending on the setting, taking off early on Friday and all day Saturday may be a very big deal. If that is the case for your industry, simply state that you are not available at these times for religious reasons, but you are committed to doing your job thoroughly and will be a team player, do your part, etc, etc. Don't go in to your first meeting asking about time off.

For salary requirements, get as much information as you can from sources such as salary.com, indeed.com, Glassdoor.com and the like. Your industry organizations may have compensation survey data available. It is not impolite to state that based on your qualifications and experience, $___ amount would be appropriate. You don't want to price yourself out of the running, but you don't want to make it easy for them to underpay you either. It's tricky. It helps if they go first, as a previously poster mentioned. Then you can negotiate for a higher rate.

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:53 am
Also very important to research the company so that a) you can show that you were interested enough to do your homework and you know something about the place and b) you can come up with intelligent questions for the part where they ask you "so, any questions?" and not look silly by asking something you could have found out by visiting their page.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 9:44 am
thank you for all your tips! its really a help!

how do you discuss benefits ?

for example I say im asking in the range of $xxxxx a year, depending on he benefits.

and they ask, example? or they assume health insurance.

I also want to know bonuses, time off, etc.

Post Fri, Jan 06 2017, 11:08 am
cm wrote:
About Shabbat - I consider this a "second interview" topic, when they bring you back to discuss an offer and all the logistical details, including scheduling. Depending on the setting, taking off early on Friday and all day Saturday may be a very big deal. If that is the case for your industry, simply state that you are not available at these times for religious reasons, but you are committed to doing your job thoroughly and will be a team player, do your part, etc, etc. Don't go in to your first meeting asking about time off.

You are not obligated to tell them about Fridays until after you have an offer in hand. I always says thanks I'd love to accept but want to discuss one thing before I do. I also negotiated leave time whether it be 3 hours before sundown or a set departure time.

As a manager, I was very turned off by the person who accepted, started and then came in to discuss religious requirements.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Jan 08 2017, 7:12 am
bump.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 10:54 am
If this is your first time interviewing, is ityour first job, and is it an entry-level position? Depending on the company, you may not be able to negotiate your salary. They may have a set number in mind, which they would pay any new employee. (It works that way in the field I'm in. Once you get your foot in the door and move on to your next position, you can negotiate, but the starting salaries are pretty much the same across the board.)

You should certainly ask about benefits, if they don't mention it first. If it's a large company, chances are they offer the same benefits to all employees, I.e. medical, vision, transportation, flexible spending account, 401K.

And don't tell them you have children. They are not allowed to ask, so you should not answer if they do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 11:31 am
amother wrote:
If this is your first time interviewing, is ityour first job, and is it an entry-level position? Depending on the company, you may not be able to negotiate your salary. They may have a set number in mind, which they would pay any new employee. (It works that way in the field I'm in. Once you get your foot in the door and move on to your next position, you can negotiate, but the starting salaries are pretty much the same across the board.)

You should certainly ask about benefits, if they don't mention it first. If it's a large company, chances are they offer the same benefits to all employees, I.e. medical, vision, transportation, flexible spending account, 401K.

And don't tell them you have children. They are not allowed to ask, so you should not answer if they do.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

nope, this is not my first job and it is not a entry level position. yes, its my first time interviewing. (how? its complicated Scratching Head )

so far, ive been asked salary (I try to be vague but eventually end up giving a range Rolling Eyes )

so when I get asked I say in the range of $xxxxx-$xxxxx depending on the benefits,
I had a hiring manager ask: example? am I supposed to answer - "I'd like to know about health insurance, 401k, and paid time off please?"

tia

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:06 pm
Absolutely. You have a right to know what benefits they offer, especially if they don't offer much and you feel you'd need a higher salary to make up for that.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:
Absolutely. You have a right to know what benefits they offer, especially if they don't offer much and you feel you'd need a higher salary to make up for that.

so I just ask straight out?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:00 pm
Also, when you do get an offer you can always negotiate. You should say something like I really appreciate this opportunity to work for your company, but because of my background, skills, certifications, etc...I would like a salary of x amount. The worst that will happen is they'll say no we can't pay more

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 09 2017, 1:55 pm
I hope this doesn't offend anyone..

If you want to be a morah or teacher or playgroup monitor, by all means do that ...

If you only want to work in a frum environment.. KOl HaCavod!!!!

But if you are interviewing in an American "non-heimish" places

DON'T ACT WEIRD and BIZARRE

And forget everything they told you in seminary...

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 7:06 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I hope this doesn't offend anyone..

If you want to be a morah or teacher or playgroup monitor, by all means do that ...

If you only want to work in a frum environment.. KOl HaCavod!!!!

But if you are interviewing in an American "non-heimish" places

DON'T ACT WEIRD and BIZARRE

And forget everything they told you in seminary...

lol um no, no, and no. and I didnt go to seminary shock

im not restricting to myself to "heimish" places,

what do u mean by weird and bizarre???!

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
lol um no, no, and no. and I didnt go to seminary shock

im not restricting to myself to "heimish" places,

what do u mean by weird and bizarre???!

If you dont know ... Consider yourself VERY FORTUNATE.....

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 5:04 pm
Natural mom 5, kindly explain please. I really want to know what you are referring to

self-actualization

Post Tue, Jan 10 2017, 5:51 pm
I don't know what Natural Mom means. I work in a big company in Manhattan ... I dress tznius, I take a break for mincha and go to the "prayer room" which was built for the Muslims but I have a section for myself ... I wash and bentch, and I try not to shake hands with men but I usually don't refuse if someone sticks out their hand (although on occasion if I feel comfortable enough then I will say something). I take off for all the Jewish holidays, obviously. I don't go out to drinks with my coworkers, and I don't go to the holiday party. I do go to team building events for my team, but I leave after an hour. We have a few other frum women and they are all super tznius and set boundaries. I think that if you don't have a strong Judaism it's much easier to get sucked up into non jewish culture and I did see that happen to a coworker when I was younger. So I am going to offer you the opposite - do be weird!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics