Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Article on Siblings Of Children With Special Needs

Amarante

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 4:50 pm
Interesting article on the impact of special needs children on siblings.

https://www.washingtonpost.com....._most

animeme

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 5:16 pm
Saw this. I was surprised not to see embarrassment and having their lives limited to accommodate. And being directly impacted by behavioral issues, like getting hit or having their property destroyed. But it's a nice overview of the issues it does discuss.

Ashrei

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 10:17 pm
Thanks for posting this, I thought it was very interesting. I wonder what a group session would look like for a bunch of siblings... how they would talk it through etc. I suppose it would depend on the age. My sib is 6 in case there are therapists reading this with ideas.

amother
Teal

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:23 pm
As a sibling of someone with significant mental illness (in psych hospitals, special schools etc) I was nodding along with most of the article. My sib is technically older but I was often responsible for her and my other siblings if mom went out. Life was often disrupted and I sometimes felt ignored, like my needs were less important. Especially during a breakdown/crisis.
But my parents tried to find time for us and did make sure to acknowledge our needs, wants etc.

ROFL

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:34 pm
Bais Ezra has a great SibShop program. Really helps siblings be more informed and not feel alone !

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 8:19 am
This may be the experience of siblings of children who have special needs, but it is not necessarily the experience of siblings of children with mental illness. And I'm not talking developmental illness. I'm talking mental illnes.

wondergirl

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:20 am
The proper term for such children is Glass Child.

http://avivahwerner.com/2012/1.....dren/

amother
Seashell

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:36 pm
A friend of mine who has a sibling with down's syndrome runs a support group / forum (I don't remember the details) for teens with siblings who have down's syndrome. She says it's so needed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)