Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Sick for almost two weeks, should I be nervous?

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:44 pm
I know you aren't dr's, but most of you are moms with experience.

It seems like almost everyone around here is sick. My one year old has been sick for close to two weeks. I brought him to the dr. last week and he didn't have strep or the flu, just a bad cold. It has been a week since fever and he has been sleeping better. However, he is not eating real food or acting himself again. Aside from about 30 oz of formula/day, he may take a bite or two by mealtimes. The times I got him to eat more, he vomited it all.
He has started walking a few weeks ago (10-15 steps), but now wont take more than two steps. He is still playing with toys and making mischeif but not as much as he did and is very clingy.
I did notice a new tooth, so he may have been suffering from that.

I hate going to the dr. with minor things. Is this just a lingering virus, or do I go back to the dr.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:50 pm
Go back to the doctor. Trust your motherly intuition.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:57 pm
You mentioned he doesn't want to walk.
I had with one of my babies, was sick for 10 days, kept on going back to the doctor they said its a virus.
One day She started limping, refused to walk. 2 days later I noticed her knee was swolen, ended up being a knee bone infection. Has surgery & needed to be hospitalized for a week.
Good luck!

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:02 pm
Take him back again.
Don't know if your in the USA but you don't want a problem over the holiday weekend. It doesn't hurt to check it out.
רפואה שלמה

ectomorph

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:08 pm
He might have pneumonia based on the weakness. I would bring him in asap

anonymrs

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:14 pm
If it was my kid, I'd probably wait until after the weekend and then go if I'm still concerned.

Do realize that 30 ounces of formula is very filling. I wouldn't be so concerned about the not eating, but more about the not walking. Refuah Shelaima!

yksraya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:20 pm
ectomorph wrote:
He might have pneumonia based on the weakness. I would bring him in asap

I second that.

If a kid is so weak to not walk normally, especially that it's almost 2 wks I would go get a second opinion.

It's one thing to sleep more and eat less, but to be too weak to walk more then 2 steps, is very alarming!!!

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:36 pm
OP here.
Thank you everyone for your input. To clarify, he is crawling as usual. He started walking across the room a few weeks ago, but since he got sick he has hardly walked.

Laiya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 10:37 pm
I would want a white cell count to rule out infection, to start.

Btw it's possible that a virus can leave a baby lethargic for a week after the fever and other symptoms went away. But you want to rule out anything bacterial.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics