Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Child born out of (Jewish) wedlock
Previous  1  2

JustAFrumMom

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 3:59 pm
Sorry Saddlebrown, Greenfire is correct. It is possible that they ARE halachically married. A Rav would have to pasken with way more information than we have here. My husband knew a man who was in the middle of a divorce and moved in with another Jewish woman. The Rav paskened that he was married to both women based on the details of their relationship (which I don't know). The only detail I know is they did have a baby out of wedlock. The couple was trying to become frum, and the woman was told she needed to cover her hair and conduct herself as a married woman. He eventually finished the divorce, gave the first wife a get and properly married the second. It's certainly not ideal nor very frum; however, it proves the point. It is important especially for the woman to find out if they are married. She may have trouble if she ever becomes frum and tries to marry someone else.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:49 pm
greenfire wrote:
living together is considered a marriage ... they might even need a halachic 'gett'

I think thats a big machlokes amongst poskim if shes considered a married woman because theyve been living together, and if she goes on and gets pregnant with someone else, if the kids a mamzer. Not all hold that she was considered married.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
I think thats a big machlokes amongst poskim if shes considered a married woman because theyve been living together, and if she goes on and gets pregnant with someone else, if the kids a mamzer. Not all hold that she was considered married.

It depends how long you are living together. A brief fling for example does not render you married halachically.

ally

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 6:41 pm
amother wrote:

As a precaution one may be advised to get a get before remarrying.
But After the fact? Noone is labelling a child mamzer for lack of get after a non halachik marriage. That would be chaos.

amother
Magenta

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 7:47 am
You would need a get if you got a civil marriage with kosher eidim, MAYBE. Ask a rav.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions