Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Want a specific meaning

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 9:34 pm
What would a girl's name be for 'God is Great?'

Edit for clarity: we want to name her after a man whose name had that exact meaning.

chicco

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 10:41 pm
I don't know of any names that mean that. I think it's beautiful that you feel that way, and want to make that statment, but generally names are a way to give a child a koach of some kind, and obviously we want our children to know Gd is great, and even represent that in the world, but kids aren't bumper stickers. Maybe consider a name that takes one of Hashem's specific greatnesses and have a name that Hashem is my fill in the blank. Gd is my father, Gd answered my prayers, Gd is my strength. Names generally focus more on how Hashem relates to us, than the general statements. Names can also be brachos to a child. Proclaiming Hashem's greatness, doesn't necessarily give a bracha or tools to the kid. Perhaps you could use a name like Micha or Michal, but instead of their traditional meanings, have in mind, "who can compare to Hashem?"

greenfire

Post Wed, Dec 21 2016, 11:31 pm
hillel for a boy or tehilla for a girl ... both mean "praise" which alludes to God

gold21

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:09 am
Google Aish.com baby names

essie14

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:21 am
Emmanuel means God is with us

Lizzie4

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 4:22 am
Avigail
Elimelech

water_bear88

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 5:43 am
Gavriela

finallyamommy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 7:29 am
Gedalya?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:27 am
chicco wrote:
I don't know of any names that mean that. I think it's beautiful that you feel that way, and want to make that statment, but generally names are a way to give a child a koach of some kind, and obviously we want our children to know Gd is great, and even represent that in the world, but kids aren't bumper stickers. Maybe consider a name that takes one of Hashem's specific greatnesses and have a name that Hashem is my fill in the blank. Gd is my father, Gd answered my prayers, Gd is my strength. Names generally focus more on how Hashem relates to us, than the general statements. Names can also be brachos to a child. Proclaiming Hashem's greatness, doesn't necessarily give a bracha or tools to the kid. Perhaps you could use a name like Micha or Michal, but instead of their traditional meanings, have in mind, "who can compare to Hashem?"

Thanks. We want to name her in the memory of a man whose name had that exact meaning. It's not about what we wish for her or anything Smile

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 9:33 am
greenfire wrote:
hillel for a boy or tehilla for a girl ... both mean "praise" which alludes to God

Tehilla is kind of in that line of thinking...but it might be too far a cry for us to say that she was named in his memory.
Mikael, gedalya, elimelech and all those names that have the literal translation are all boy names

Miri1

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:46 am
It would be less traditional, but you could take many of these names and feminize them - such as Michaela, Gavriela, not sure about Gedalya though...

Then there is Yocheved "G-d's honor" (I think)?

Or, perhaps you want to give a name that is similar sounding rather than with a similar meaning, like Gila if you're naming after Gedalya.

Miri1

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 11:55 am
Lizzie4 wrote:
Avigail
Elimelech

Curious how you translate Avigail? I've heard a few different translations.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 1:30 pm
Miri1 wrote:
It would be less traditional, but you could take many of these names and feminize them - such as Michaela, Gavriela, not sure about Gedalya though...

Then there is Yocheved "G-d's honor" (I think)?

Or, perhaps you want to give a name that is similar sounding rather than with a similar meaning, like Gila if you're naming after Gedalya.

I think I like your second idea of names that sound similar. Thank you!

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:48 pm
I dont know what the male name is but if its tuvia then maybe you can do tova

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Dec 22 2016, 2:51 pm
I like Gabriella.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 7:53 am
Please check the names on a reliable website (Behindthename) or book (Beider).
You have been suggested quite different names from what you asked!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names