Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Help! Seasoning cast iron- brown rust?

baschabad

Post Fri, Dec 23 2016, 12:16 pm
I stripped the seasoning it came with in a self-clean oven cycle.

Then I scrubbed it with soap and hot water.

Then I toiveled it.

Then I brought it home and put it in the oven to dry.

When I took it out, it had reddish-brown rust on it.

I figured that was normal. I wiped off most of it and applied coconut oil as the first layer of seasoning. More rust was coming off as I wiped it.

It finished the first "bake" and I re coated it, but more rust is coming off every time I wipe it!

Is this normal? What do I do?

Iymnok

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 2:02 pm
It's iron!

ra_mom

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 5:51 pm
Could it be this?

"The reddish color you see on the pan above isn't just rust: it's heat damage to the metal that is irreversible, and it's difficult to build good seasoning on top of it. Some people like to clean their cast iron in an oven set to the cleaning cycle. This can work, but Nick warns against it, since there's a risk that over time it will do exactly this type of damage."

http://www.seriouseats.com/201......html

Also, consider this.

"As I mentioned above, cast iron will start to rust almost immediately once it's been stripped down to just the pure metal. If you're not going to season it right away, you can stave off rusting temporarily by rubbing your pan with mineral oil."

baschabad

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 6:26 pm
Iymnok wrote:
It's iron!

So then it's a good thing?
The Lodge pan that I got years ago pre-seasoned (when the seasoning was still kosher) never did that.

baschabad

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 6:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:

"The reddish color you see on the pan above isn't just rust: it's heat damage to the metal that is irreversible, and it's difficult to build good seasoning on top of it. Some people like to clean their cast iron in an oven set to the cleaning cycle. This can work, but Nick warns against it, since there's a risk that over time it will do exactly this type of damage."

http://www.seriouseats.com/201.....quot;

Thanks! I checked out the link and picture, but that doesn't appear to be what it is. It is curious that he mentions it in connection with the oven cleaning cycle, though.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 9:35 pm
Rust never sleeps. It's a good idea to rub off as much as possible with very fine steel wool and immediately oil that part. It may take days of rubbing and oiling to solve the rust problem for you.

If your cast iron isn't Lodge or forged by a reputable American company please don't try the high heat treatment. Most cast iron made overseas is made from melted engine blocks and contains concentrations of heavy metals such as lead. It is much better to spend the extra dollars on American made cast iron.

Be aware that a high heat treatment on even a piece of Lodge or and old Griswold can fatally warp the pan and cause weaknesses that can shorten it's life.

baschabad

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 9:45 pm
Thanks! It's a Lodge pan and the advice to stick it in the oven on self clean actually came from them.
Maybe I'll ask them about this.

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 10:05 pm
baschabad wrote:
Thanks! It's a Lodge pan and the advice to stick it in the oven on self clean actually came from them.
Maybe I'll ask them about this.

Lodge has their own foundry and produce a high quality cast iron. I doubt that a single high heat treatment would kill or warp a Lodge pan. (A slow cool down is important.) Cheap cast iron will become more brittle if given a high heat treatment.

Stargazer out of TN makes seasoned and unseasoned cast iron and for a relatively new foundry their cookware has got a following. I find that they are of a much higher quality than Lodge and their smooth machined interior is a much better finish than the sanded/polished interior of a Lodge. I have their 10.5" skillet, the balance is better and the no heat handle is very convenient. They are not cheap. $80 for the 10.5. This is the same as what you would pay for some rusted out Griswolds that have been cosmetically altered and sold on eBay.

baschabad

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 10:35 pm
Thanks for the info! I found another manufacturer online that sold unseasoned cast iron, but the cheaper Lodge pan from Walmart won out.

I wonder if the line they manufacture for Walmart is of lower quality...?

MagentaYenta

Post Sat, Dec 24 2016, 10:52 pm
baschabad wrote:
Thanks for the info! I found another manufacturer online that sold unseasoned cast iron, but the cheaper Lodge pan from Walmart won out.

I wonder if the line they manufacture for Walmart is of lower quality...?

I doubt they would rekey their manufacturing process just for Kmart. IIRC their enameled cast iron is made in China. Let's face it Lodge isn't the greatest, it's the most widely available at it's price point so they have conquered the mass market. Their 'preseasoning' is a marketing ploy that they embraced around 2005 when they went back to their cheaper dimpled casting, it was the only way they could keep the items from rusting before they reached the market.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen