Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Potato Latke batter

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 7:31 pm
Can I make the potato latke batter in the morning and fry the latkes after work? I know the batter will become watery and black but maybe I can strain it somehow and fry the latkes after work? Or am I better off making the batter and frying them and freezing them for when I need them??

octopus

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 9:17 pm
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if batter turns black as you are frying it up anyway. I think it is okay. Maybe wait for another person to chime in saying it is okay before you do it.

mummiedearest

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 9:30 pm
you can grate the potatoes and soak them in a bowl of water to prevent graying, but it's probably easier to fry in advance.

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:02 pm
octopus wrote:
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter if batter turns black as you are frying it up anyway. I think it is okay. Maybe wait for another person to chime in saying it is okay before you do it.

I think it matters. The outsides will brown when fried but who wants a latke with greyish insides?
I never tried it myself but my MIL says she pre-makes the batter and puts a small amount of baking soda in and it stays perfectly white/yellow even overnight.

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:11 pm
I wouldn't do it. You will have grey latkes.

If you are preparing the ingredients already, maybe just set aside an extra 40 min to fry? I know it's a rush in the morning but frying makes a mess so you would be finished with all of that when you get home.

(That's why I am not serving latkes at our party .... takes too long and so messy. I made a small batch for my family tonight though)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics