Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Bread machine ww bread help

ludicrous

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 5:14 am
I have been making the following recipe from allrecipes.com for whole wheat bread in my bread machine.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm water
1/4 cup honey
1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
2 tablespoons oil
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

it comes out delicious
my question is:

can I cut down on the honey and use sugar for part of the honey? if yes, how much honey and how much sugar?

or

can I use a regular white bread recipe for bread machine and substitute ww flour?

this is the recipe I use for white bread in the bread machine and it is fabulous:
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup oil
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
Can I use this recipe for whole wheat flour? if yes, do I need to make any adjustments?

thank you in advance for your help!!

Hatemywig

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 8:52 am
I'm gonna piggy back on this - sorry ludicrous.

How many lb is this loaf of bread? My machine has 3 settings: 2lb, 2.5lb and 3lb.

ludicrous

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 9:46 am
mine is 900 grams

greenfire

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 10:32 am
I know nothing of bread machines ... however, you can always adjust the sugar/honey levels to how sweet or less sweet you like it ... just use same measurements of sugar for honey that you wish to use

1 oz is a standard amount per 3 cups of flour - use more for sweet raisin challah or when using for babke

also if you're into whole wheat why would you use sugar ~ I use olive oil & honey when I use whole wheat

also I switch flour for flour & both your recipes have 3 cups of flour - although whole wheat is heavier

p.s. here's my secret to fluffy whole wheat challah - a tablespoon[ish] of ground flax seed

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 3:41 pm
You can use sugar instead of honey. Brown sugar is closer to the honey taste than white sugar.

Converting a white flour recipe to whole wheat- I would add more oil and water because ww flour is heavier

Seas

Post Sun, Dec 25 2016, 6:43 pm
You can use about a quarter of that amount of sweetener and it'll still be tasty. I say "sweetner" as all kitchen sugars are interchangeable - with slight variations in taste. Try all to see which you like best.

I wouldn't make 100% ww bread as it's too heavy and nutty-flavored. Use a 50/50 mix and it should be perfect.

Also, unless you're baking challos, a tablespoon of oil is more than enough.

I used a bread machine for a number of years, but eventually started kneading the dough in a regular mixer, and shaping by hand followed by baking in the oven. I found I had much more control over the quality and rise that way, and I actually prefer the texture of oven baked bread.

A final tip I can give you - one that you'll be forever grateful for if you implement it - is to buy a digital scale and do all the measuring by weight. It's sooo much easier than measuring cups of this and spoons of that. (Additional tip: scaling recipes up or down becomes child's play if you use metric rather than imperial.)

ludicrous

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 4:44 am
Seas wrote:

A final tip I can give you - one that you'll be forever grateful for if you implement it - is to buy a digital scale and do all the measuring by weight. It's sooo much easier than measuring cups of this and spoons of that. (Additional tip: scaling recipes up or down becomes child's play if you use metric rather than imperial.)

can you explain why using a scale is easier than measuring cups and spoons?
how is it easier to scale recipes if you use metric measurements?
thanks

Seas

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 8:52 am
With a scale you don't have a bunch of utensils to wash, nor do you have to worry about not packing the flour too tightly. Also, you're not standing there waiting for the quarter cup of honey to pour out. And did I mention trying to measure cups of fruit etc.?

With a scale, you just put the pan on the scale and dump in your ingredients straight from the packet/jar, zeroing the scale between each ingredient.

As to scaling, what's a third of 2.5 tablespoons? And how do you add an fifth to 2lb 3oz?

With metric, everything is in our standard 10 based number system which makes the above examples child's play.

etky

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:58 pm
Regarding the switching out sugar for the honey - keep in mind that the honey also forms part of the overall liquid that the recipe contains. You will probably need to add a drop more liquid to the dough in lieu of the honey. I've found that when doing the actual baking in the machine, recipes need to be very precise. A little too much or too little liquid can cause a loaf to flop. OTOH, when I shape by hand and bake the bread in the oven the dough is much more forgiving.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics