Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
7 yo DD talking to herself

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 8:59 pm
The school called because DD has been having a hard time at school academically. We are working on getting her "caught up." She is a little stressed over being behind but doesn't seem majorly bothered. The guidance counselor who called asked me if I ever notice that DD talks to herself or moves her lips like she is talking before she speaks. I said "No" because I haven't noticed. Since that conversation I have noticed that she sometimes mouths what she said or is about to say and sometimes I hear her inaudibly mumbling to herself. When I ask her what she is saying she just shrugs it off and says she is playing a game. Should I be concerned??? If so what would you do?

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:04 pm
I talk to myself. no big deal. I don't do it constantly, but I find it helps me focus at times. if you haven't noticed it until now, and that is the only "strange" thing being reported, I wouldn't worry.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:09 pm
OP here. I talk to myself also but not audibly or with my lips moving. Is that worrisome?

Coffee Addict

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:09 pm
So normal and actually healthy! They are exploring stuff and experience life. Kids live in lala land sometimes. My 7 yr old son talks to himself a lot, my 11 year old son too! When he plays he'll imagine things and talk it....

I also talk to myself!! It helps me schedule my day.

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:19 pm
amother wrote:
OP here. I talk to myself also but not audibly or with my lips moving. Is that worrisome?

are you a ventriloquist? if not, what you do is called "thinking." Tongue Out

yes, I talk audibly, and my lips definitely move. not worrisome.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:22 pm
Very funny mummiedearest! Glad for the reassurance.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children