Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Lakewood- help with food budget please!

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:31 am
I know this has come up before but I need help.
I live in Lakewood and I'm trying to make a food budget for no more than $1,200 a month. Is that possible if we eat lots of protein and vegetables?
I have 5 children Bh.
Any tips and advice?

amother
Silver

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 11:42 am
I plan my menu based on what's on sale.
Use the website watsonsale.com.
It's very doable if you're talking about $1200 for food, and not other grocery items (paper towels, garbage bags etc).

I use whatever frozen veggie is on sale;
Whatever meat is on sale for shabbos; I buy yogurt at a place where it's on sale, fish etc

amother
White

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 12:13 pm
Thanks!
Where can you get fresh veggies like zucchini and carrots for the best price in Lakewood?

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:09 pm
check the circulars for gourmet glatt and seasons- they r on sale every other week.
gourmet glatt prints their ad in the bp weekly and you can check check both stores online on their websites

debsey

Post Mon, Dec 26 2016, 9:19 pm
Keep in mind that with all the traffic in town, it may not be cheaper to run from store to store just to shop their sales. You'll spend in gas what you save in cash. Unless you are doing delivery, but most stores have minimums or delivery surcharges.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 12:20 am
If you go to Blue Ribbon on Sundays, the veggies are 20% off, those types of veggies do freeze well to add into soups or roast under chicken.

Same with deli meats, tehina... go on Sunday and then freeze them until Shabbos.

Even your local store has some stuff on sale. You don't need to run all over, try to buy each weeks sales, you'll bring your costs down a bit.

Another good way is to take one category at a time and cut costs there only. So lets say snacks, work on finding a way to bring that cost down. For example if your kids eat .25 cent snack bags instead of .40 ones you save .15 every time. If you have kids in school that's .30 a day per kid and 2.00 a week per kid. Sounds dumb, but that's a $10 a week savings. I know someone who buys those huge jars of pickles because she made a calculation that each pickle is only .10. She figures. .40 a day per child x 5 is $40 a month on just snacks.

I do think $1200 could work with the right planning, I don't think you will have to run all over town. A few stops on Sunday or motzei Shabbos will do it
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics