Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's happiness

amother
Sapphire

Post Tue, Dec 27 2016, 11:42 pm
Sometimes I think. Like now, I had this thought.
What is happiness? What makes a person happy? So I believe that it is up to the person to actively decide to be happy. But now I'm questioning that idea. Because if so, then why would we bother giving advice to people that are sad, saying do nice things for yourself, buy nice things for yourself, go out and have fun. If things are not the key to happiness, that should be all wrong. We would say things like meditate on all the good things around you, count your blessings etc. But I don't think those ideas really work. And buying things and eating ice cream perhaps makes a person feel happy for a moment, but is it happiness?
I know I'm not the first to question this, so what do you all think?

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 6:04 am
Happiness, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 10:02 am
Happiness is not the result of everything being just right. People can be happy in the face of tremendous tzaros.
The reason I give the kind of advice I do, along the lines of what you mentioned, OP, such as exercise, chocolate, and humor, along with finding some spirituality that energizes vs. enervates (e.g. favorite tefilla, enjoyable shiur, etc.) is that all that will give the person the strength to be able to have perspective, and be receptive to the possibility of being happy even if everything on the "checklist" isn't in order.

chani8

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 1:50 pm
Happiness is a state of recognizing the good in one's life.

yksraya

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 3:02 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
Happiness is not the result of everything being just right. People can be happy in the face of tremendous tzaros.
The reason I give the kind of advice I do, along the lines of what you mentioned, OP, such as exercise, chocolate, and humor, along with finding some spirituality that energizes vs. enervates (e.g. favorite tefilla, enjoyable shiur, etc.) is that all that will give the person the strength to be able to have perspective, and be receptive to the possibility of being happy even if everything on the "checklist" isn't in order.

So true!!!!

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 28 2016, 8:01 pm
Last week's Family First had a story about a young woman, who had to deal with a devastating diagnosis in her late teens, after becoming a BT. Her perspective is incredible and awesome and really adds to this discussion. If I can later or tomorrow, I'll snip a few paragraphs.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics